No more Bank or America for me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auto360

Reaction score
Or should I say no more "Bank of Satan". This Christmas break I'm finally home in Az long enough to switch banks. I won't get into all the reasons why I switched but just from a moral or principal point of view, I feel its important. I was tired of using the excuse of saying it's "convenient"  because they have so many branches or worse, just being too lazy because of the effort involved in switching financial institutions. 

So, I opened up an account at Tucson Federal Credit Union and within a week or less I'll have all my stuff switched over and can then walk into B of S and close my account. It'll be a short, quick but very satisfying task.

In my experience, Bank of America and Wells Fargo continue to compete for worst banks. Neither is satisfied with being "among the worst", they try their damnedest to lie, cheat, steal, and rape their customers in any way possible. And that's their service for customers. Go there as a non-member, and you might as well bring handcuffs, rope, lube, a funnel.

I've been a member of my credit union for over 25 years. Why anyone would use any f those foreign owned money grubbing banks is beyond me

I have a friend who did her banking at B of A, both savings and checking. Several years ago her husband died and had large insurance policy which she deposited with BA. She sold her house and put her things in storage until she found the right house in Ca..After she got her place she called and wanted to know if I would handle the sale of most of the things in storage and bring a few items to her in Ca.. I sold the bulk of her items to an antique dealer and a used furniture place.

She had some expensive artwork and a few pieces of furniture and asked if I would rent a truck and drive them out there as the artwork was valuable. Told her I would need return flight home and truck expenses. that's it.

After everything was unloaded she gave me a check for 500 dollars drawn on BA. She had gotten a job as a set designer at Universal and all cell phones were off. I go to cash the check at the Hollywood branch of BA and because they could not contact her they refused.

When she got home I told her what happened. She called supervisor and took two hours off the next morning. We went to BA. She asked to speak to the branch manager and this gentleman comes out and she explains the issue and he tells her that's policy. She asked why have a checking account if you won't honor a good check. He got smart with her. They cashed my check and then she told them to close her accounts. Checking account, no big deal. Savings account, big deal. Same guy came out groveling and asking how he could make amends. She told him no way, she had lost two hours of work, just cut her checks.

This Is the same BoA that took down the US Flags on a parade route.

Rob

I've heard many people talk bad about Bank of America but personally I like their service I like the fact that once in a while they decline a sale and it takes me an extra two minutes because they send me a text on my phone that says did you try to make this purchase within 30 seconds of the denial all I have to do is type yes I'm within another 30 seconds my sale will go through I don't see the big problem with that I am not in such a hurry that it takes me less than 30 seconds to get a resolution to a so-called problem
They were after all the first ones to offer online banking which I cannot live without they were also the first ones to offer online checking deposit with a photo which I cannot live without so I'm very happy with their service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and did I mention that they do not even charge me a service charge for a bounced check if I overdraft my account it goes for five days with no service charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyndi said:
I've been a member of my credit union for over 25 years. Why anyone would use any f those foreign owned money grubbing banks is beyond me

Credit Unions are the way to go, banks just ooze greed.

If you want to start a credit union account find one that share branches. http://sharedbranching.org/  or https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/   I use the "find branch" app on my Android phone.

I have done shared branching all over the country.

I had B of A travelers checks years ago traveling on business - B of A branch refused to cash them

I moved to a credit union years ago and haven't looked back.  I get much better service and don't pay a nickel in fees.

I've been in a credit union for many years and been happy. Ironically, it's just recently I've been considering opening an account at either BoA or Wells Fargo because they are the two largest, at least in terms of most branches nationwide. When I get to traveling, I won't just have a SS check I could direct deposit, I'll have random funds that will need to be deposited wherever I happen to be. So the large banks look attractive from that standpoint...

I signed up with TD Bank because I thought they were everywhere. They're a bunch of pigfuckers. Continue to charge me for paper statements no matter how many times I check the "paperless" option. Charge me fees if my checking account goes below a hundred bucks, even if there's money in my savings. Oh, and I signed up for the special "overdraft protection" which allows them to cover checking overdrafts from the money in my savings account - a privilege which they charge me for, to use my own money - and then they charge me the overdraft fee anyway! If it happens twice in one day they charge both fees twice, even though the money is there.

I've since learned that many credit unions allow you to do business in cooperative credit unions, even though they're not of the same branch. I plan to switch over as soon as I find the time.

BradKW,

I belong to a credit union in Oregon but I can get money or make deposits at credit unions all over the country with no fees. I have a phone app that finds the nearest branch or ATM.

For example, there is an ATM in Blythe that I can use with no surcharge. And in Phoenix area there are 18 ATMs or credit union branches or 7-11s that I can use.

I was with Tucson Federal for five years as they have a branch right by my house. Since they were my secondary bank I didn't use them regularly and wasn't too happy when they charged me $5 a month if I didn't use the Billpay.

Switched to Vantage West, partially because they have safe deposit box, and they are walking distance to my son who is going to handle our mail and other local stuff, like when we get those proverbial checks in the mail. He doesn't drive. And there's no monthly fee if I don't use them for a couple of months.

towhee said:
BradKW,  

I belong to a credit union in Oregon but I can get money or make deposits at credit unions all over the country with no fees.  I have a phone app that finds the nearest branch or ATM.

For example, there is an ATM in Blythe that I can use with no surcharge. And in Phoenix area there are 18 ATMs or credit union branches or 7-11s that I can use.

Nancy, I'm quite happily with both BofA and W-F, but I have a friend who is Credit Union only. She couldn't find a credit union in Blythe so we stopped at one in Yuman on the way to Algodones. 

Can you give me the name of the app for her and the branch location?

I had a bank account  at Liberty bank.
$15000 savings
$700 in a checking  account  that I used for online purchases. 
I then decided to move my money all over to my savings and so I ended up with  
$0 in my checking. 
Turned out I had some online purchases  that didn't  go thru yet that I didn't 
know about.

When the merchants finally  tried to go thru my my bank my bank covered it and then charged me a penalty for insufficient  funds for 3 months until I noticed and then I went to talk to them.
My argument  was " how could've I've bought those last items if I didn't  have no money  in that account "?
The bank was the one that let it go through .

They refused to waive the penalties and so I closed my account and took all my money to a different  bank.

About a week later Liberty bank sent me a letter saying I owed them money for another purchase that they let go through and plus more penalties for insufficient  funds.

My argument  was " how could've i have bought those items if I 
don't  even  have a bank account  with  you at the time of the last purchase "?
I never heard from them again and was up about $140.
So in the end they ended up scamming themselves.

BradKW said:
I've been in a credit union for many years and been happy. Ironically, it's just recently I've been considering opening an account at either BoA or Wells Fargo because they are the two largest, at least in terms of most branches nationwide. When I get to traveling, I won't just have a SS check I could direct deposit, I'll have random funds that will need to be deposited wherever I happen to be. So the large banks look attractive from that standpoint...

Shared branching...

akrvbob said:
Nancy, I'm quite happily with both BofA and W-F, but I have a friend who is Credit Union only. She couldn't find a credit union in Blythe so we stopped at one in Yuman on the way to Algodones. 

Can you give me the name of the app for her and the branch location?

Sure. It's an app specific to my credit union. The Oregon state credit union. What it found is an ATM in Blythe at 1 college drive. It might be on the campus of the Palo Verde College.

I have both, credit union and BofA savings at Credit union and my mortgage with BofA. It was even hard to get money from my SF bank transferred to Bishop Ca for a transmission replacement took a week.
When they realize I have a mortgage with them they get a lot friendlier.

A HUGE thank you for bringing up the co-op credit unions! Thankfully Navy Federal is a part of it, YAY! I'm sticking with them.