Newcomer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosiemartinez1211

Reaction score
Well Hello Everyone!!! My crazy 70 yr old sister wants to become a Nomad so I started YouTubing info and of course came across Bob Wells' videos and eventually to here. I'm intrigued with the idea of Vandwelling and just might just find the gumption to tell my sis, LET'S DO THIS. Actually I think I'm already convinced. Just gotta wait for my niece's wedding next month. After that I kinda don't have anything holding me back. Well, I do have grandkids and will feel guilty but there's Facetime, right? But I don't have that, LOL. BUT I'm kinda gettin' the itch!!! I'm from Helotes, TX a burb of San Antonio. Where do I start???? Who's where, what's happening, other than the RTR event y'all had in January, I don't see anything on the Calendar....Oki doke, hope to hear from y'all!!! Warmest Regards, Rosie   PS I'm a stand-up comic so I promise to keep y'all laughing at camp :D

Welcome Rosie to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Thank you Sir, er Ma'am? As I'm reading thru the Forum I'm realizing I need a cool name!!
Guess I'll try and change it.......

Welcome Rosie, Peruse the many facets of the forum for different subject matters. Many educational and technical categories. Create a Plan with your sister and put together a  rig to meet your needs.

Hello Rosie, welcome to the forum. I am a new to the Nomadic lifestyle and have found a wealth of knowledge in these forums and on YouTube videos and vlogs. Wishing you and your sister safe travels. Maybe we'll meet on the road.

Not all f us have cool names!
Welcome!

Read someone say their grandchildren will learn more, remember more from the adventures of grandma, (aunt) vs watching TV and having cookies with grandma.

I don't have a cool name. I blame that on my parents--I'm a "junior". They had no imagination whatever. I kinda wish they had named me "Frank Floyd Flank". Or maybe "Left Flank".

:)

rosiemartinez1211 said:
... Well, I do have grandkids and will feel guilty but there's Facetime, right? But I don't have that, LOL. BUT I'm kinda gettin' the itch!!! I'm from Helotes, TX a burb of San Antonio. Where do I start???? Who's where, what's happening, other than the RTR event y'all had in January, I don't see anything on the Calendar.
Hello R, you can check the following sections about get-togethers. Other than RTR, including the Womans-RTR which occurs a week earlier, most meetups are rather small. For reference, there is no actual "traveling tribe" as many newcomers seem to think, but Bob Wells is arranging for there to be a couple of caravans in the fall (soon now). I'm guessing these will be 20 or 30 vehicles, but maybe 500 will show up, :).
https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15
https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34

You are actually in a very good situation for becoming a nomad, since you have possible homebases with the relatives and grandkids to stay at inbetween trips. And Texas is a nice central location for traveling east one season and west in the other. Also, many women (and men too) are leery of traveling alone, but if you have a sister to go with, that will be helpful for getting into the lifestyle. Some people are full-timers, but probably not most of us.

HalfShadows said:
Welcome Rosie, Peruse the many facets of the forum for different subject matters. Many educational and technical categories. Create a Plan with your sister and put together a  rig to meet your needs.

Thank you and I will!

Lystrek said:
Hello Rosie, welcome to the forum. I am a new  to the Nomadic lifestyle and have found a wealth of knowledge in these forums and on YouTube videos and vlogs. Wishing you and your sister safe travels. Maybe we'll meet on the road.

Yes, going to educate myself. Hopefully one day we'll meet. Thanks!

Firtree said:
Read someone say their grandchildren will learn more, remember more from the adventures of grandma, (aunt) vs watching TV and having cookies with grandma.

Makes sense to me!

lenny flank said:
I don't have a cool name. I blame that on my parents--I'm a "junior". They had no imagination whatever. I kinda wish they had named me "Frank Floyd Flank".  Or maybe "Left Flank".  

:)
Well, my son's nickname is Lenny so I like your name.

QinReno said:
Hello R, you can check the following sections about get-togethers. Other than RTR, including the Womans-RTR which occurs a week earlier, most meetups are rather small. For reference, there is no actual "traveling tribe" as many newcomers seem to think, but Bob Wells is arranging for there to be a couple of caravans in the fall (soon now). I'm guessing these will be 20 or 30 vehicles, but maybe 500 will show up, :).
https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15
https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34

You are actually in a very good situation for becoming a nomad, since you have possible homebases with the relatives and grandkids to stay at inbetween trips. And Texas is a nice central location for traveling east one season and west in the other. Also, many women (and men too) are leery of traveling alone, but if you have a sister to go with, that will be helpful for getting into the lifestyle. Some people are full-timers, but probably not most of us.
THANKS. And now I do have a cool name - R

rosiemartinez1211 said:
THANKS. And now I do have a cool name - R
Glad you think so. Aww, my way is usually to abbreviate names. I assume you pronounce your other name  as "row..see" rather than "rose-eee". Both nice, in any case :).

As everyone says, the easiest route to get into this lifestyle is one step at a time. Get some sort of a vehicle you can hit the road with, then start taking "short" trips around the local areas, and figure out how to take care of all of the essential things for living on the road. When ready, then head for the hills, and never look back. Except for visiting the relatives every 5-years or so.

rosiemartinez1211 said:
THANKS EVERYONE!!
signed "R" my new cool name
You can go to your personal page and set that up as your "signature", if you like. Eg "just call me R". I want people to call me just "Q", but they call me Reno (or usually something much worse).