Newbie to forum and concept

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrenton

Reaction score
Hello All,
I've camped all my life, my parents had six kids and camping was the only way to get away.
But VanDwelling?  This is a great concept.

I need to prepare.
I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport and a 12 ft enclosed single axle trailer and a motorcycle.
I also have a cot and a sleeping bag.

I also have a house.  I think I should sell it.  And quit my job.

And I have a lot of questions.  
I hope browsing this forum might answer most of them.

Stephen.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Stephen! You should be able to find answers to many of your questions by browsing the forum but don't hesitate to ask about anything. Overall we are a very helpful group and most likely someone will be able to answer any question if you don't find an answer.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum :) 

I've had a Van since back in School Days and plenty of experience traveling and an RV'ing in it.
I haven't lived in one every day of my life for years,  but I'm looking forward to some extended
periods of it in the future.  

My sites below showcase my experience and thoughts about how I'll go about it when I'm ready
to go see the things I want to see.   You are welcome to check them out. 

I started out with just a basic empty cargo van,  covered the floor with plywood and foam backed carpet.
I used an aluminum cot for a bed and it fit perfectly.  An upholstery shop fixed me a 3's thick foam mattress
to fit the cot and then I had a kitchenette cabinet fixed up to stow food and cooking gear in.   An Ice Chest
served for my refrigeration  and I was able to travel well and affordably. 

By the time I was working for Corporations I moved frequently in my job,  so I fixed up furniture that could
be folded up or knocked down to pack in the Van.  I had a small economy station wagon that I'd load my
bathroom stuff and kitchen stuff in and towed it behind the Van.  So when i got to my new place I could
detach the car, unload it to set up the kitchen and bath to be ready to clean up, fix food and go to work the next day in the car.   That night I'd come home and start unloading the Van.   I used an inflatable full sized
Air Mattress for my bed.  Then I had the Van to use in my work.  So there are other avenues to Van travel & dwelling than just living in one permanently.  

Young people just starting out after College or VOTECH could  do something like this to get started when they find opportunities in other areas from where they live.

All the best in whatever you decide to do.

Welcome, that trailer will build out real easy, you're almost there, check out Master Plumber's build for some very good simple ideas, too