New to forum

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. My son calls me the bionic woman because in the last three years I have had 3 spinal surgeries. I think I have enough metal I could set off metal detectors haha.

All of my surgeries and recovery time made me think of doing something for myself. My thoughts were I needed something to motivate me through the times I was literally dependent on others. So before the 1st surgery I purchased a
used Dodge Promaster 159”wheel base. Got it at an awesome price before the pandemic. It has taken me 2 1/2 years to get it together. I have solar, and shore power a wood frame bed and 2 fridges one I use for a freezer and one as a fridge. I also purchased a Jackery 1000.

I have been camping several times and in the process of really figuring out what else I need. After several trips I have removed some stuff and added others.

I own my home on some acreage and intend to keep it because I don’t feel this is the time to sell. But I want to wander farther than state parks and city parks.

How did any of you plan your first hoorah trip? Was it to visit a place you have never need? Or did you just take off with no planned destination? Did you stop your mail or have it forwarded to family or another location?

Enough rambling lol I will go back to reading the information on the forums!
Bev

Hi Bev and welcome.

I am just an RV dreamer. We have been living/working overseas this stint since 2007, so we have no vehicle in the US. Looking at Ford Transit Conversion or Nissan Cargo NV--maybe pulling a trailer to boot. I hope I have enough savings to retire, but prices are getting scary. Welcome to the group. I hope you like it. I have only been here a couple months, but am getting fed up with somebody deleting my posts with no explanation. David Boggs AZ

Welcome! I'm a newbie, too. In the process of building a vardo and outfitting my minivan into a camper. I'm remaining in the sticks and bricks because my job is too good to let go of right now, but the owners are not spring chickens so I'm planning ahead.

My son calls me the bionic woman because in the last three years I have had 3 spinal surgeries. I think I have enough metal I could set off metal detectors haha.

Welcome! I also have spinal issues (from misadventure in the army).

Dodge Promaster 159”wheel base.... I have solar, and shore power

If you find that's not enough, it's easy to add in alternator charging since the starter battery is under the driver's floorboard. There are even convenient tabs coming off the POS for adding new fused wiring. :)

Hello Bionic Bev! Welcome!....and many of our members retain a 'home base' of one kind or another...Sounds like you made a good decision, buying before the pandemic...prices got crazy for awhile.

We hope you check in often and update us on your adventures every now and then.

Welcome.
very nice ya scored a great van to suit you before prices have skyrocketed! Cool.

For travel depends on your time you want away from your home base.

Like if you got a week only pick a nice state park in an area you love and drive to it and enjoy and explore.

If you are hankering for like a month from home, I would pick a 'destination' area to target and then set up some state parks, COEs, any boondocking options along the way and just 'cruise' til ya kinda get to that 'destination' area and explore all around it and again, just enjoy the journey to get there, find yourself some adventure in the area you targeted and then enjoy a nice journey on the road home. Destination can be a nice state park with something it offers, like, hmm, Crater of Diamonds State Park in AL you can hunt for diamonds :) There are state parks near hot springs. There are many state parks with lakes that give options of renting canoes or kayaks or ?? Cgs near tourist city. Get a nice site and then when ya want drive into the city a bit and find yourself some adventures. Anything you want ya know.

Wishing you the best out there! Be safe!

I started planning my travel trips several years ago. I bought a national park passport book and planned to visit every place in the book. It didn't matter if I had seen it before or not. I bought a road map that has all 50 states and highlighted each place on the map. I also identified military bases in each state and marked them (I am retired military and I like staying on post when I can). Then I simply plotted out routes through each state connecting the dots. Along the route I look for points of interest along those routes such as caves, waterfalls, and such. I just finished a two week trip from Nebraska to VA and back. I hit about a dozen parks and several points of interest along the way. In June, I traveled up to Washington State and back. I have 17 trips planned that will take me to every location in my passport book. I have taken 4 such trips so far and have loved it!

Welcome Bev... sounds like you not only do your homework, but you act and get things done. Been waiting on a procedure myself before I can leave again. It can be difficult to get done what a person needs to when your not 100%. But we all just keep moving forward. You either like it out there or you don’t. You’ll know pretty fast. Once you start making friends and settling into the lifestyle you’ll be either hooked or you’ll go back to sticks and bricks. I still have my place in northern Minnesota, but I don’t even live in the house. Chomping at the bit to hit the road again. It’s amazing to me how fast people settle into living on the road. I depend on my neighbor to get my mail... they then toss the junk and go over anything important.