Introvert Introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetAwayFromMe

Reaction score
Hi all -

First off, I want to thank you all for this opportunity to learn and hang out with you in a most chill way. I have been using a variety of resources to prepare for life on the road, and appreicate being able to use the experience of others to fast track some things and avoid some common pitfalls.

After a year of prep, I bought a 2002 Express van with ~55K miles, New tires, a general mechanical tidy up, and a very homemade interior build took about 6 months as I was stilling working FT. In my early 60s, and with a need to live my life before I die, I quit my job in Spring and hit the road in early May. I live in the Midwest and my first destination was TN and NC, Beautiful country, lot of space and solitude did wonders for my mental state. Increasing gas prices were a huge bummer, but I adjusted and carried on. For the most part, my set up served me well and no major calamities. I did end up with a nail in my sidewall that required the tire being replaced, but thankfully it did not blow or strand me.

Sadly, my mom died so I needed to return to close up her affairs, and tend to an extended family. I continue to grieve but I need to get out of here. I am aiming to get back on the road and head to Utah and New Mexico beginning early Sepetember.

When I get to Utah I will be visiting many of the National Parks and Forests. I would like to meet up with other hikers as I feel like I do not have sufficient experience to be on the trails solo. Moderate diffiulty at most, with maybe 3-4 hour round trips. Suggestions for how to meet up with others?

Also, I travel with a small dog, and sometimes I need to do things where he is not allowed. Do you all ever rely on each other to do dog sitting? If so, how do you suggest I try to work this out?

I am looking forward to many years on the road, and am glad this community exists.

Welcome!

Local vets will usually board your pet for the day if you have shopping or errands to run and can't bring your pet. Prices are usually pretty reasonable...

Cheers!