newbie looking to convert 5x8 Haulmark cargo trailer for camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandraw

Reaction score
Looking to convert 5X8 enclosed cargo trailer to a weekender.  First thing I need to do is install or have installed an. RV door.  RV services tell me it will require a specially built door.  I dont see any diy door installs on YouTube.  Looks like it could be well over $800 to get one installed.  Any ideas from you folks?

Welcome Sandra to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

What was their reason they gave you that the door needed to be specially built? That doesn't sound right to me. I paid 250 bucks for a brand new RV door at a RV surplus yard and installed it myself. They install just like a window. BTW there are a ton of people on you tube that have no idea how to install windows so beware about getting you info there.

Oh yeah, welcome.

Highdesertranger

the height of interior is only 65 inches.  They said RV doors are 72.

thanks for the links.  I have googled but sometimes it helps for other\s input.  I def will check these out.

Thank you all for your welcome and input.  I have decided to go with professional install at the Haulmark certified shop. 
for the door, still researching window install.

I hope you got valuable links for the DIY door projects but to be on the safer side the door must be installed from a professional repairer or carpenter.
One of the prime reasons is you can claim in case of any emergency.

What are you got to tow it with? 5x8 cargo trailer is small. Are you thinking about a tear drop style camper??

you can do a lot with some 2x4s, some decent plywood and the ability two read a tape measure. that's a really small space so heating it shouldn't be an issue and using some imagination and creating some new skills on a custom project could be fun as well.

I don’t want to step on anyone else’s toes here but I do disagree with 2x4’s. Your structure is already sound - walls floor and ceiling, Roof. Get down to at least two twos you might even want to use furring strips these things save a lot of weight. Many trailers come with installed plywood floor and walls. The lighter the better especially with the price of gas being what it is today. I left for Florida about this time last year and gas was $1.60 a gallon. of course we all know it’s more than double that now. Don’t over build with heavier lumber unless you need the support.