how hard is it to install rv door on utility trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandraw

Reaction score
I am getting a 5X8 utility trailer to renovate to a camp trailer to pull behind my honda SUV. It has a swinging back door. I would like a rv type door on the side.  How hard will it be to install such?  I have watched how to install windows and see it is pretty easy.  Would a door be similar?  Any recommendations on where to buy from?  I dont believe we have RV salvage any where near me.  I will probably have many more questions although am planning on a pretty simple build and watch a ton of YouTube.  Thanks.

Height is the problem. I installed a new RV door on my Box Van and needed to cut 8" off the bottom of the door and then fit and reposition hinges, door rails and then do the screen door too.
At the time I had the indoor garage space and tools and it still took me 3 days. Although I wasn't in any hurry.
If your really handy go for it and don't forget to add framing around the inside of the door cutout to screw your new door to.

Get a cargo trailer side door and install an RV door window in it. You can buy brand new RV door windows that are operable and come with window screens. They even sell blinds for them. Look on Ebay for good prices on those windows.

It's basically the same as installing a window. but I have seen a lot of You Tube videos were they have no idea how to do but come off like they do. I installed one on my trailer but I have done them before.

The main problems with cargo doors is,
You can't lock/unlock from the inside.
There is no screen door
They are square corner doors. You don't want anything with a square corner.
Also because of the way they lock someone could lock you in easily.
For these reasons I would avoid a cargo door.

I got mine from an RV salvage yard it was brand new never installed for 200 bucks. At that price it's a no brainer. I posted a list of RV salvage yards that was nation wide. I think I made it a sticky. I will see if I can find it.

Highdesertranger

I think this is the site HDR is referring to:

rverscorner.com

Look down the page and touch RV SALVAGE, and there's the list, by state