Newbie here, driving around ripped apart van! Will definitely need help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamu

Reaction score
Hi all, so glad to be here. Thanks Bob for all you do. I had begun thinking about vandwelling after becoming  (disabled), 25+ years as a paramedic, back won't work anymore. I started researching and realized there was a world of people out there doing it. Awesome! I gave up my job, money,  then lost everything I owned to an apt disaster it's been a tough few years. Sold my last remaining possession, car, and bought a 1993 chevy v8 conversion van with 59,000 miles on it and no obvious mechanical issues. Ripping it apart, doing the mechanical maintenance stuff and hope to be on the road before winter. Sooooo happy to be here and meet everyone ! 
PS. I named the van Shamu because it's a big blue whale of a thing

Hi Shamu and welcome.

Sorry things turned so sour for you. That's tough. Glad you found the group. We have one weakness, we LOVE photos, we'd love to see Shamu. Speaking of photos did you find the screen door's? Did it make any sense? Let me know if I can clarified a bit. I'm not very good at explaining but I'd give it my best.

Hope all turns roses for you from this point on. :)

Nicole

ilovemyvan said:
Hi Shamu and welcome.

Sorry things turned so sour for you. That's tough. Glad you found the group. We have one weakness, we LOVE photos, we'd love to see Shamu. Speaking of photos did you find the screen door's? Did it make any sense? Let me know if I can clarified a bit. I'm not very good at explaining but I'd give it my best.

Hope all turns roses for you from this point on.  :)

Nicole

Thanks Nicole! It's been a learning experience.  I've had an interestinteresting life and i wished to travel light, be careful what you wish for! I'm REALLY awareof what's important in life now. People.  I'll definitely post some pics. Didn't look for screens yet. Just beginning to convert the van.

I'm excited about the next chapter of adventure ahead but I have a lot of questions about my van conversion. How do I post pics in here?

Welcome! This is the place to be for sure! This is such a caring and supportive group. Sooo much information on just about anything you care to learn and do.

RV-Hopeful said:
Welcome! This is the place to be for sure! This is such a caring and supportive group.  Sooo much information on just about anything you care to learn and do.

Thanks! I totally feel the "tribe vibe" here, and the positve energy. life is all about love, I think when you literally LIVE in a van or other vehicle you learn what's really important.

Shamu, 1993 g20 v8 5.7l 59000 miles, cconversion van, i already took out the seats and currently working on taking the rug up. i'm not sure what's next. insulation i  think, i prrobably need to move to another thread for that. here's a pic of my future new home!

shamu!.jpg

Attachments

• shamu!.jpg
    shamu!.jpg
    220.6 KB
Good looking van!

In life it's not the cards that you're dealt that are most important, it's how you play them. It look like you were dealt a pretty rough hand and are just about to turn it into a winner! Keep at it!
Bob

akrvbob said:
Good looking van!

In life it's not the cards that you're dealt that are most important, it's how you play them. It look like you were dealt a pretty rough hand and are just about to turn it into a winner! Keep at it!
Bob

Thanks Bob! I've beenlooking forward to talking with you.  I watch all your videos and want you to know that they have been very helpful. I look forward to more! I'm a 54 year old woman, trying to stay fit, ive always been a gypsy and have NO doubts at all about what im doing. Im currently stripping the van down and I'm getting overwhelmed thinking about the process. Whats, next? Electrical before insulation?  What type of insulation,  reflectix first or last......aaaahhh,,I'll check out the forums for answers.