Newbie from Colorado!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrugalTrekker

Reaction score
Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 27 yo female transplant living in the Denver area. I've been self employed for over 5 years and I love it! 2 years ago, I was in a bike accident that left me unable to work for many months. I ended up burning through all my savings and eventually lost my home and most of my belongings. For 6 months, my pets (dog and cat) alternated between stealth living in a tiny storage unit, stealth urban camping and the homeless shelter. Eventually, I was able to work and get back on my feet. I've been renting an overpriced room in a house with my pets for the last year or so. I first started looking into mobile living while I was homeless but decided against it because I was afraid to drive. Since then, I've gotten my drivers license and I'm slowly getting more comfortable driving. 

Life on the road will allow me to lower my overhead costs while expanding my customer base. Hopefully with the money I save, I can pay off the rest of my student debt and put away money for retirement and future investments. I'm planning on being on the road by January 2018 - if not sooner. I'll be traveling with my dog, cat and tarantula. Ideally, I'd love to move into a sprinter van but even a used one is way out of my budget. A class B camper van would be nice but isn't great for stealth parking. I'm looking to spend 3k-5k on a used van and gradually modify it as I go. I also plan to have at least 2k in emergency funds to start. I don't need anything fancy for me but adequate heat and air conditioning is critical for my pets. I know from past experience that my pets and I can adapt to pretty much anything that comes our way. 

That's all for now  :angel:

FrugalTrekker

Let's see the pic of your tarantula!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, frugaltrekker! Sounds like you've got a good plan! How long do tarantulas live? We had a male once but he only lived a few months.

Welcome Frugal Trekker to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Cammalu said:
Let's see the pic of your tarantula!

Chilean-Rose-Hair-Tarantula-image.jpg

I don't have a good quality photo of my girl, Chrissy but she's a Chilean rose hair tarantula :)

AbuelaLoca said:
Welcome, frugaltrekker! Sounds like you've got a good plan! How long do tarantulas live? We had a male once but he only lived a few months.

Hi! My tarantula, Chrissy is a Chilean rose hair tarantula and she's over 20 years old now! Thankfully her species doesn't require a fancy set up (ie. heat lamp, high moisture, etc) - perfect for vandwelling lol What kind of species did you have? Sorry to hear he passed away :( Some species live longer than others but in general, female tarantulas live MUCH longer than the males do lol   :p

highdesertranger said:
Welcome Frugal Trekker to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  highdesertranger

Thank you for the warm welcome!  :)

FrugalTrekker said:
I don't have a good quality photo of my girl, Chrissy but she's a Chilean rose hair tarantula :)

Oh she's pretty! I love the color. I had a tarantula once for a pet but not a fancy one like your girl. I just had one I saw and picked up one day.

How much/often does she eat?

That's right Brian! Another redhead!!!!

Welcome to the forum. I can tell you that Denver is a great place to be from.

Cammalu said:
Oh she's pretty!  I love the color.  I had a tarantula once for a pet but not a fancy one like your girl. I just had one I saw and picked up one day.  

How much/often does she eat?

I feed her 6-12 large crickets every couple of weeks. Very low food budget for her compared to my cat and dog's food lol She can also eat pinkies (blind hairless baby mice) and goldfish but I don't feed her those.

FrugalTrekker said:
Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 27 yo female transplant living in the Denver area. I've been self employed for over 5 years and I love it! 2 years ago, I was in a bike accident that left me unable to work for many months. I ended up burning through all my savings and eventually lost my home and most of my belongings. For 6 months, my pets (dog and cat) alternated between stealth living in a tiny storage unit, stealth urban camping and the homeless shelter. Eventually, I was able to work and get back on my feet. I've been renting an overpriced room in a house with my pets for the last year or so. I first started looking into mobile living while I was homeless but decided against it because I was afraid to drive. Since then, I've gotten my drivers license and I'm slowly getting more comfortable driving. 

Life on the road will allow me to lower my overhead costs while expanding my customer base. Hopefully with the money I save, I can pay off the rest of my student debt and put away money for retirement and future investments. I'm planning on being on the road by January 2018 - if not sooner. I'll be traveling with my dog, cat and tarantula. Ideally, I'd love to move into a sprinter van but even a used one is way out of my budget. A class B camper van would be nice but isn't great for stealth parking. I'm looking to spend 3k-5k on a used van and gradually modify it as I go. I also plan to have at least 2k in emergency funds to start. I don't need anything fancy for me but adequate heat and air conditioning is critical for my pets. I know from past experience that my pets and I can adapt to pretty much anything that comes our way. 

That's all for now  :angel:

FrugalTrekker

Hey Frugal, top of the day to you.

Never been into pets that have more than 4 legs OR pets that don't have any legs at all lol, guess I'm to much of a traditonalist when it comes to my pets ;). I lived in Aurora for many years back in the late 70's and 80's and had my own company so I know how expensive it is to live in the mile high city. Good to hear your getting back on top of it all and still keeping you and the babys intact (staying together). You sound alike a very smart and well organized person with the will to survive like the old song "I will survive"! Sending you well wish's and all the best in your quest forward.

Steve

Latest posts