Newbie from AL

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricket

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m Helen from Alabama. I’ve lurked here and on YouTube (I’m hhdavid65 there)for about a year now, watching many videos and reading many blogs. I couldn’t stand it anymore, so I decided to take a three week trip out west at the end of May to see if I liked the climate, environment, and elevation. I also wanted to see how it affected my arthritis, degenerative disc disease, and fibromyalgia. I left Alabama and traveled through Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California. Upon reaching California, I could see all the people camped out along the Colorado River on the Arizona side. After being in California about 10 days I was pain free. I actually made it sightseeing through the Grand Canyon without a wheelchair, and I was elated. I loved the scenery, especially in California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico, and the  people I met were so nice. As soon as I came home I bought Bob’s book, joined here, and joined the CRVL  Patreon. 

I’ve started thinning out my clothes and going through my things to get rid of them. I’m disabled and live with my daughter and my grandsons, aged 10, 6, and 5, and I only pay $200 a month rent and my call phone bill, my car, AD&D and medical insurance, and buy my meds. (Gotta get some whole life insurance, too.) It will take me a few years to save up enough money to get started on my new life, but better starting now than later. But I have started, and that is the main thing. I have taken action.
I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone on the forum, and hopefully meeting everyone in the near future. 

I am hoping to make it to the next RTR or WRTR if possible. I have a 2011 Kia Sorento so gas won’t be too bad from Alabama. ? Hopefully that will work out, depends on daughter’s work schedule and if I can get somebody to watch the boys while I’m gone. I’ll have to stick around until they are old enough to fend for themselves while their Mom is at work. I figure by the time the oldest is in High school maybe I can escape if my daughter can get off swing shift. 

Well, enough blathering. I’m a writer, too, and I have to watch myself or I’ll have a novel written before I know it. ?
If you made it to the end, thanks. ❤️

Hi Helen and welcome to the forums. I still get achey at times, but this dry heat in Arizona is great for my arthritis. Best of luck with all your plans.

Thank you, Wabbit. I love the dry heat. It’s so much better than the humid sauna here in Alabama.

Welcome Helen to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Thanks highdesertranger. I’ll check that post out.