Newbie - Advice Needed!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorned.frog

Reaction score
Hi everyone, 
I've been wanting to convert my own camper van for awhile now and the time has come to buy a rig. I've been looking at cargo vans but I really want the extra head room provided by a high-top. Anywho, I have a few questions:
- I'm thinking I will buy a wheelchair van and gut it. Is this a common route, are there any known issues, etc.?
- Has anyone who owns a 2WD ever regretted not getting AWD or 4WD? I don't want to pay extra for an AWD Chevy Express or to have it converted.
- I'd like to equip it with a brush guard, ladder, and rear cargo carrier for extra gas; Are there any recommended methods (junkyard, etc.) or websites for finding such items? 

Thanks for all the help, this seems like a great community.

Welcome to the forum!

Wheelchair van - some have bought them, stripped out the lift and then had trouble getting rid of the lift and all the fancy interconnect circuits that go with it. The known issues are not so much with the fact that it's a wheelchair van as that some years and makes/size of engines have known problems. Not all of the wheelchair lift equipped vans have the high top that you are probably looking for.

There are lots of fiberglass high tops sitting in parts yards. You might be better off buying a regular cargo van and adding the high top of your choice. It's not THAT hard to do.

I've never regretted only have 2WD vehicles....if anything it keeps me from doing silly stuff like going that extra 1/2 mile down that really rough road... :D Some won't be without 4WD though but they're the ones' who really do go way, way off the beaten path.

Depending on the vehicle you end up with, there are all kinds of sources for aftermarket products. When you're ready for them, we'll be more than happy to hand over the links. No point in loading you up with them when you're still figuring out what vehicle to look for... :)

Welcome to the CRVL Forum :) 

I would suggest sticking with the basic 2wd Van.   The 4wd's and AWD's may use more fuel and wear your tires out prematurely.  (it's how you pay for that extra traction)  If you plan to be on highways, dirt campground roads, and just do lite boondocking,  2wd will probably be all you need, unless you are trying to drive in deep mud or snow/slush. 

The best deals I see on the car go carriers that mount into a receiver hitch seem to be at Rural King when they are on sale for like $28 dollars.  Harbor Freight with 20% off coupons are reasonable but still more expensive.   JC Whitney  Catalog has always had some Van Customizing stuff including ladders at reasonable prices,  but yo may find these on wrecked Vans in Junk Yards.  There are even RV Junk Yards but you'll have to Google to find them in your area.

A lot of those Wheel Chair Vans tend to get passed along to those needing them by agencies which track them to determine when one comes available.  Some people you see with them are 5th owners.  I helped a friend who had MD (muscular dystrophy) where I tinted the windows for him and helped him  find a facility which could inspect and service the lift.   The ones you see coming available may have a weak or rusted floor where the lift is beginning to tear through the metal under the stress & weight of the person in the wheel chair.
You may cover the floor with plywood and be alright for a few years and you may get a deal on one like that.

Below are a couple of my websites which address converting a basic Van for a beginner. (as I once did)  There are links and other information sources which may be of interest to you.  You're welcome to look through these.  The second site is for planning your trip as you go, finding campgrounds,  and all manners of handy help sources you may want to become familiar with.

All the best !   :)

Welcome to the CRVL forums, thorned frog!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard Thorned Frog !
I'm sure you'll get all the info you need right here...

thorned.frog said:
- Has anyone who owns a 2WD ever regretted not getting AWD or 4WD? I don't want to pay extra for an AWD Chevy Express or to have it converted.

I had a 4x4 pickup, and swapped it for a van. When I went to move my 6x10 cargo trailer in the desert, the van got stuck that day!! It's been stuck 5 times since. Yeah, I regret it. But, that doesn't mean you will regret it.  A locker on the rear axle will do a huge amount to solve the need for 4x4 and be a lot cheaper and be less headaches in the long run.
Bob

If you want to get stuck, take a 2wd off road. If you want to get really really stuck, take a 4wd off road. Because 4wd may get you further out, when you do get stuck, not much chance somebody can come give you a hand. AAA doesn't do deep backcountry rescue.

One trick that sometimes works with 2wd and an open differential is to apply the brake while giving it gas. The friction of the brakes on the spinning wheel will often transfer some of the torque to the wheel not doing anything. It doesn't seem logical but it does work at times.

I once had a 1953 M38A1 military jeep, (predecessor to the civilian CJ-5). I put individual brake line locks on all the wheels. If any tire spun, I could apply pressure to just that one wheel.

O.K. I'm ig-ner-ant and don't mind saying so.  What is a "locker" that's added to the rear end of a vehicle and what does it do?  I drive a 4x4 Ranger however I'm curious and will swap it sooner or later, it's only 25yo   with 218k miles on it & I've driven it 12ys.    Thanks for any info.                   Jewellann

There are several designs for differential lockers. What they do is cause both wheels on the same axle to turn. Normally even with 4wd only one wheel per axle will break loose and spin. If it does the other wheel on the same axle will do nothing. This is called an open differential. They are made that way because when you are on hard pavement and go around a turn, the outside tire actually has to spin more to make the turn.

What the "locker" is supposed to do is allow a little slippage on pavement, but none on dirt. There is really only one design that I know of that gives you the best of both worlds and it is pricey. ARB air locker. Other designs work to some degree but often have clicking noise or tire chirping on pavement. Here is a video to explain if you have the bandwith. The first 3 1/2 minutes explains, the rest is advertizing for their product.

welcome thorned frog. is that anything like a horned toad? anyhow some type of posi/locker rear axle is a huge improvement for a 2wd when off road. on a standard rear axle all the power goes to the wheel with the LEAST amount of traction. this is great for general driving on hard surfaces(pavement), but it sucks off road. usually when you get stuck one tire is spinning(slipping) and the other is doing nothing. so in comes the positraction(posi) or limited slip axle, it does exactly what it says it limits the slip. it does this with clutches, when one tire starts to spin it transfer some of the power to the other tire. limited slip axles are smooth when working correctly however the clutches wear and most are non rebuildable, they also require special rear axle oil and are a little pricey.

a locker has no clutches and when they lock and unlock there is a harsh clunk. most people complain about this and there is actually some drivability problems associated with this. however when a locker locks, both tires get equal amounts of power there is zero slip in a locker when it locks. so the one tire spinning is eliminated. lockers are the strongest and cheapest method to eliminate rear axle slip. no special oil required.

next comes the air/electronic locker. these are the best of worlds. they give you the smooth riding of a standard axle on pavement, but with the flip of a switch locks the rear axle so both wheels have equal power applied. these are expensive, rely on air or electricity to work. no special fluid required.

so in review, if you are planning a lot of off road driving with a 2wd a posi/locker is a must. it is ALMOST as good a 4wd. highdesertranger