Newbee from Arkansas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote821

Reaction score
Hi, I am an older woman, recently widowed (my wife died in October). I have a 2011 Ford Expedition SUV that I am attempting to equip to live in and travel our beautiful country. I built a bed platform and shelving for storage. I'm anxious to get on the road, follow the weather, enjoy the scenery and meet other like-minded nomads. I'm a little concerned about traveling alone at my age (I will be 78 in Feb.) but I am in reasonably good health. I've traveled alone in the past in a car and stayed in motels, but I don't want to stay in motels any longer. Should I be concerned about staying on BLM land or National Forest land? I've been following Bob's YouTube channel for over a year as well as other RV and camping channels to gather ideas and learn how to live in a van or SUV. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest some short one night stays close to home to make sure you have everything you need, and really with Covid 19 I would want to be vaccinated before traveling as hospitals are pretty much full in Arizona where most people gather this time of year. There is nothing I would be concerned with except the ability to get health care if you should need it. Normally there is plenty of support available and most everyone is welcome.

Thanks bullfrog. I plan on taking a couple of weekend trips to local state parks before going on the road. I'm sure I will discover items that I need or don't need or possibly changes to my layout. I am a disabled veteran and utilize the VA Medical Centers for my health care and there are VA Centers in most major cities and satellite clinics in smaller cities. I don't know how soon I can expect to be eligible for the Covid vaccine, but hope I can get it soon. I really love visiting Arizona and hope to be there by spring.

We used to live beside Greers Ferry Lake in Tumbling Shoals, there are lots of great state parks in Arkansas but a little cold this time of year, but better than fighting the bugs in summer!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Coyote! There are many women staying on BLM and forest lands. You'll be fine. I did a quick search on Bob's YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CheapRVliving/search?query= woman
You can also join the HOWA facebook group to find camping companions - https://www.facebook.com/groups/wecamptogether/

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Howdy from Heber Springs to a fellow Arkansan!
I'm currently at "home base" until February.
I usually travel via motorcycle or a small Class B van about 8 months/year.
Been camping all my life and Arkansas is "Camper's Heaven", we enjoy some of the best State Parks in the nation.
Didn't catch where you are but the campground at Blanchard Springs would be an excellent "Trial Campsite" as it has hot water showers and set up for both RV and tent campers. The nearby town of Mountain View is interesting. Don't forget a visit to the Ozark Folk Center. The restaurant there is pretty good for "Country Cooking" lunch.......
Right down the road are two excellent FREE campsites when you are ready to break free of paid sites.
The Army Corps of Engineer campsites along Greer's Ferry Lake are excellent choices and not very expensive. Very close to town if you "forgot" anything.
I'm willing to help you with anything from advice to vehicle build out; to get you started exploring.
It's not as scary as one might imagine. Like everyone has suggested; take a few overnight trips to learn what and how you need to do things to be comfortable, then simply lengthen the trips. Next thing you'll know is you'll be on the Oregon Coast wondering why it took you so long to "get outside".
If you are really worried about safety, I would be willing to "ride shotgun" by camping at the same campground (far enough away to give you plenty of personal space) for an overnighter to get you going. I'm great at campfire building......
PM me if you need anything.

Happy Trails!
Chuck

PS: Sorry about the death of your loved one, getting on the road is cathartic for most folks.