Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea

Reaction score
Been reading the forum, blog and watching Bob's videos for a few months. I've worked and lived in cities / suburbs my entire life.

Then last year my wife got lung cancer. I spent the last 9 months of 2018 caring for her until she died. 

I'm 50. We had 29 great years together. Now that part of my life is over. 

I have zero interest in finding a new job just so I can support a house that's empty without her. I've been wanting to downsize for years. Right now, my life feels meaningless and without purpose. 

I am going to break away from the comforts of my former life and go deep into nature to figure out what's next. I am getting rid of nearly everything I own and have ordered a Runaway Camper to tow behind a small truck. I thought I lived a simple life before - but I'm craving the simplicity and silence I am seeking in nature. 

My plan is to boondock 100% of the time in BLM and National Forest Land. I hope to be on the road by early summer. 

It'll be me and my small dog Snickers - all 14 lbs of her. 

I hope I can deal with the challenges and look forward to meeting some of you on the road. 

-----
Steve

PS.  Thanks to everyone for the inspiration, support and answers you've put in the forum. You have already helped me immensely.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Steve. So sorry to hear about your wife. Nature can be very healing. I hope you find peace and comfort boondocking in the beautiful forests and deserts.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Many of us have found this lifestyle to be very healing. I hope you will, too.

I also am going through the grieving process for three important people in my life, including my wife. Be careful about letting emotions making decisions for you right now. It's a bumpy road similar to a roller coaster ride with your emotions.

In the forum Van Dwelling forum for topics that don't fit other areas, look for 'Dani's Little Runaway Camper'. She's living in one and has does a remarkable job of making it work.

Me too.
Quiet contemplation in a weeroll named Orca.

So sorry for your loss. Maybe getting away will help you. Staying in a home your shared must be hard
All I can say is we wish you the best and hope this lifestyle heals you.
God bless
Mike and MJ