new house is here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)  YAY!  IT'S THERE!  I'LL FOLLOW YOUR BUILD.  AS LONG AS THE CRVL SYSTEM DOESN'T LOG ME OUT AGAIN & I FORGET WHAT MY CURRENT PASSWORD IS.  AGAIN! 

HOPE YOU ARE WELL

JEWELL ANN

highdesertranger said:
Jim I am going today to pick up the battery box.

What kind of battery box did you get?  That wonderful abnorm built me a wooden one to get me by but I'll need something that can handle the acid and me spilling water on them.  I have 3 batteries just waiting to park next to you so I can open my doors and flip on the AC when I get it installed!  lol

well its not a real battery box. LOL. it's a tool box that goes in a pick-up. I am going to mount it on the tongue and make dividers in it. highdesertranger

Very nice! First thing though is an electric tongue jack... Wish I could have gone out there with you to see the fab shop when you picked it up. I really like that triple tongue. It's bigger than I envisioned but looks like a good solid structure. Anxious to see what you do with it.

I second the electric jack and I use the same battery as the electric brakes use. Mine is in the V nose part of the trailer inside. I removed the crank up jack from the front and store it inside along with the required wrenches to put it back in place if ever needed.

I am curious those of you that are saying to go with an electric jack, have you ever tried one of those heavy duty tongue jacks like I got? I can raise and lower my trailer with one finger it's very easy. now once the trailer is loaded it won't be as easy but it won't be hard. so what is the advantage of going with electric? highdesertranger

If that is a 2-speed landing gear I would leave it as is....100% reliable and super heavy duty, and with high and low speeds its faster than just about any electric tongue jack.

I am a bit concerned with how low it is, so I assume it has a removable sand-foot and extension.

Press a button. You don't have to go round and round. Also, my electric jack sucks all the way up into the trailer so no digging in when the tongue goes down on those dips. I have drug the hitch but with no jack hanging down I didn't have to worry about bending the jack. Also makes it harder for someone to hitch up and drive away.

I have found over the years that electrical stuff fails at the worse possible time. like the power window failing down in the middle of a down pour. highdesertranger

True, that is why I still have the backup. Probably take me 15-20 minutes to put the manual one on. I could always unbolt the electric one if stuck down. Hasn't happened yet though. Mine has waterproof switches but since it is inside, no worries.

...if it works in the pouring rain, with some sketched out nut off their meds walking around with a machete chanting, "KILL THE PIGS KILL THE PIGS," swinging the thing like a baton on parade day.

A good .38 and a reliable crank-up for me also.
Simple is always more reliable.

Mine is inside and can't be screwed with. The crank is for when the electric doesn't work (hasn't happened yet).

When I had a trailer it was like a mini gym workout which i looked forward to. I don't trust these fancy push button gadgets.

well actually I have it all loaded up ready to go to Arizona. I have been buying parts but it's been slow going as the trailer put a big dent in my wallet. don't worry it will come. highdesertranger