New guy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
So im new and wanted to introduce myself. I quit my job back in november after 10 years, corporate BS. Nuff said I hope. I decided to split town and stay with my bro for a while and save up some funds and then outfit my truck and head out to the highway. Ive stayed a little longer than expected due to being involved in an amateur pool team, if we win next week we get moneyand an invite to Vegas for the Nationals. So so far it has been going pretty well

I have saved up about, $9000. I have a '97 tacoma standard cab 4 cyl and I recently
Put a nice cap on it. It runs good but I hit 150000 not to long ago so im gonna do the timing chain. And i need to do rear shocks, no biggie.I have a full set up of lightweight hiking gear as that is my passion. In the next few weeks im going to build a sleeping platform and I have a 3 inch memory foam mattress.
Ive got a propane camp stove. Im thinkin about loading up with a ton of beef jerky, trail mix, granola bars, etc ya know hiking foods. But for the truck im also gonna grab some emergency canned goods, rice meal bags. I was thinkin about 2 24 packs of water. And ill go into a store when it lines up and buy ground beef etc for immediate consumption.

I only plan on going into a restaurant when I feel that its one of those restaurants that I just HAVE to go into. Also im not really doing a speed run, i want to take my time and enjoy it.

Im in Virginia right now and am going down to peachtree city GA 1st, then im headed for memphis, because I just wanna goto memphis. From there im headed to Dallas, I have a friend there who I can stay with for a bit.
From there it gets fuzzy. I have a friend in Tucson, and San Diego, but I kinda wanted to hit up colorado and zion etc north of the canyon, but I also want to check out Havasu falls on the south side. That run around adds a hefty sum of miles to the trip.

Im trying to weigh the experience, my funds, and is it worth it. Also looking for any tips along the way. I found this site and forum a out 2 weeks ago and have read a lit of good info on here. Plus everyone just seems so cool, Im glad to hear that im not the only one who thinks spending my money on stuff other than sleeping is the way to go.

How big is your truck? For 9k you can get a very nice travel trailer, or even a pretty good sized RV to tow your truck when you go from spot to spot. 9k is a LOT of starting cash for the kind of life you wanna live. What kind of living space would you require? Sleeping in the back of a truck is doable, but the winters can be very harsh.

there is something to be said about quality of life, sure we can eat rice and baloney sandwiches but getting your enjoyment is a better way to go, by the way welcome.

Howdy new guy :) Glad to have ya here.

Sounds like you'll do just fine out on the road, but Dallas ain't much for good hiking places and it gets hotter than hell, with some humidity thrown in for the fun of it.
Tucson is expecting a lovely 107 degrees today, so you can "get baked" :cool:
Now, Flagstaff (area) has some great hiking/camping spots and its gonna be about 85 today, with a nice cooling breeze :)

Welcome to the Tribe :)

Its a Tacoma, standard cab, 6ft bed. The cap is cab height. I wouldnt really spend to much time inside the sleeping area unless I had to I think. If im spending any time over 4 hours in the same spot its gonna be at a campsite where ill put up one of my tents which has plenty of room. I would avoid winter areas, during the winter lol. I cant tow because of frame issues.

Dallas im just stoppin in there to visit a good friend for a bit. Thanks for the heads up on flagstaff. Im going to stay in SD for a bit in a friends driveway, again the truck is really just for sleeping. I plan on showering at planet fitness/rest stops/ friends along the way.

After the pool tournament, if I make it, I was gonna head up to northern california, and then oregon. My friend from dallas has some land there that he doesnt use. Honestly though anything could happen, im just wingin it really.

Winging it is a great way to go. Livin' life moment by moment!! Carpe Deim!!! (seize the day!!)

So you're interested in Zion, and you like hiking?? Then you need to do ALL of Southern Utah.
Moab, Arches NP, Bridges NP, the Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, Zion NP are just somma the places to hike in Utah...and the scenery is breathtaking!!! (Antelope Canyon is phoenominal...butcha gotta get a permit to go in there...but highly worth it!!...especially for a hiker!)

I could easily live for a year on the road for $9K, and I'm not taking about a stedy diet of Ramon noodles either!! If your young, then a pick-up with a canopy should be just fine! (once you get a bit older...that might get a bit cramped)

Sounds like you've got some fun opprotunities opening up for youself. Have fun and Welcome to the forum!!

Patrick on the Oregon Coastline.

Kyonu....No way I'd blow 9K on a TT. Its summer and a guy can live quite nicely out of a truck topper.
If I were new at this, I'd travel as cheap as possible and save as much as I could along the way. End of summer, I'd think about maybe getting a tiny TT for a K or 2 and look for a way to finance more travel.
A person with good outdoor skills can pick up work with a packing outfits or river runners and make some nice bucks during season and out here there's always a season for those guys & gals.
If my health would handle it, I'd be on a river crew right now ;)

You're gonna love N. Cal and Oregon for hiking. Don't forget Washington is there either.
I couldn't agree more about Utah.

Any suggestions on using a jump pack as a power source? I dont have any real electronics, just to use for ipod sometimes when truck is off I guess. Really just asking if anyone has had a bad experience with charging it from the cigarette lighter while driving.....damage to socket or to jump pack.

Also does anyone use tapatalk on there phone for this forum? I can read on there but i cant login or post.

The consensus of opinion here is to get a marine/deep-cycle battery, since jump packs have a quite limited capacity.
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/baby-steps-electricity-car-van-little-money/
You can also use your starting battery provided you get an automatic shutoff (?) which prevents the battery from going too low.

It seems I just read a discussion here in the last month about this, but can't find it now. Anyone?

For now, i already have a heavy duty jump pack. Im going to stick with that untill I find out I need something more. I have ran a stereo and tv off it fir 5 hours tailgating and it never ran out of juice. I would only ve using it at night for a fan really and maybe the ipod if the battery is low. Just never charged one dc to dc, was curious if anyone ever damaged the socket or jump pack using this method.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-W...-a-20-watt-solar-panel-with-charge-controller

With just power useage of a cell phone charger and a 4" muffin fan the 18ah battery in the jump pack should work for a while.

I would wire a new circuit directly from the truck battery with a circuit breaker to use the trucks engine as a generator to recharge the power pack.

Since you already own the power pack I would give it a go until the battery takes a dump at which time you will have a better idea of what your needs will be.

Here is a post I did on Jackson, Wyoming which is the southern entrance to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks. I'm going to suggest you read it for the employment opportunities. This just sounds perfect for you. You may not need the money now, but by next summer you will. My friend there who runs the RV Park is still looking for people right now!
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/grand-teton-np-photos-come-work/

Bob

Wow thanks for all the great info guys!

Bob its funny you should post that. When I was a kid my family went on a cross country road trip. My favorite place we stopped, was jackson hole WY. We stayed at an RV park and it had this...valley or hollow at the back end of it. Bad description but this was 17 years ago lol. We went to the million dollar cowboy var, and I can still remember what I ate. Sirloin steak and chili soup. It was incredible. They had guys running around in the town center re enacting a gun fight it was awesome. At the campground I made friends with an italian kid named Nicoli. He and he spoke no english other than being able to say that he spoke no english haha. None the less kids are kids and we were friends.

Long story short that is a great place, and thats when i was a kid and couldnt do what I wanted! I dont think I can get out there this summer but thanks for reminding me what a great place that was and making me aware of the opportunities there.