new guy here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldmcrider

Reaction score
Greetings
I've been looking at Bob's and others YouTube videos and fantasizing about  the nomadic lifestyle for a while now.  Had a Tacoma with a cap on it.  That was just too small for me.  I just got rid of the Tacoma and picked up a Chevy Express Cargo van.

I've never been very mechanically inclined, but I am going to try to convert this empty cargo van into a place for me to live in while I travel throughout this big country of ours.  I am fortunate enough to be semi-retired and I only work from April through October.  So I plan to travel from November to March in the van and avoid spending any more winters in the Northeast.

Just figured I'd drop by here and introduce myself and say Hi before I start asking any stupid questions I can't find the answers to by searching.
Rider

Welcome Rider to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome aboard.
Asking stupid questions is what we DO !
Don't let that stop you........

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

I'd invite you to look through my two websites below and use any of the info in them you want.

When I first started I put down some plywood flooring over the metal floor in an old Ford Van.  Then
Indoor-Outdoor carpet over that.  It deadened the sound considerably and the floor wasn't so cold
on cold mornings.   I rigged a bed and had a foam rubber mattress that I could sleep well on.  The kitchenette
was built from scratch from scrap but today I'd just find a used kitchen floor cabinet and build a top for it out of 5/8" plywood scrap and cover it with sheet metal I'd have a sheet metal shop make for me.  (cheapest way to go)

But that's the basics of having enough to hit the road.   You can really build out a Van,  but first consider what you actually need.   Would a small inverter generator take care of your power needs if you are out by yourself ?  Do you need Solar Panels a Battery Bank etc ?  An onboard shower & toilet ?  (or could you get by with a membership to Planet Fitness Gym ? (or any of the many other Nationally syndicated Gyms where you could clean up, have a nice lounge with TV, WIFI, recharge for your Cell & Laptop) when you grow road weary. 

One piece of equipment I suggest investing in is a Weather Radio that has a stand by so it will come on automatically when Storm Advisoraries are issued.   It can be a life saver.   Otherwise I'd suggest the first time out going with a more minimalist outlook.   Keep a list of things you miss and would like to have.

One simple comfort I'd suggest you look into is buying some mosquito net (supplied by the yard like cloth) and make screens for your front door windows and if you have rear door windows make them for those.
You may also want to make a large one for the side door perhaps with a "tent type" large plastic zipper in the center where you can get in and out.    So you can snooze in peace day or night time. Not expensive to do and if you have someone with a sewing machine it isn't difficult.  You can get the plastic magnetic strip on rolls and sew it into the edging so the screens will hold tight to the openings of the windows or door.  A side awning is a luxury worth having too. (you can pull up beside a picnic table and set up the awing to cover the table with your side door open and that is a nice arrangement when at a State or National Park camp ground)

But that would get you rolling especially if you wish to travel south for the winter.

All the Best !