New Fuse Block immediately blows fuse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmorAbby

Reaction score
Hey folks, I finally got around to hooking up a fuse block to my system. Mainly because I want lights. I've been using my solar system for a few months now and it's all good to go. But I'm really tired of how battery operated LED lights sloooooowly go dim and die.....   

So tonight, I have the fuse block, a wire going from positive from one battery, negative from the other battery -- (two batteries in my bank) -- and going to either side of the fuse block.  

I hooked up an LED light strip, positive on one side of the block, negative on the other. Lights have their own built in power switch and dimmer switch. I put a #15 fuse where the lights are. 

I bought a pack of the wrong width fuses, so the only other fuse I have is a #20 so I put that in the area where my battery wires go. 

It immediately sparked, popped and blew.  

Soooo... now what am I missing... ? 

**Edit** If it matters, I'm using 10gauge wire from the batteries to the fuse block and the wires to the lights are very, very thin.....

Well, obviously you have a short somewhere or a miswired fuse block or a faulty LED strip or...any number of reasons.

First, make sure you have no wire filaments shorting across the terminals of the fuse block. 

Double check all of your wiring.

The short would just be in this section of wiring...? is this correct? or do I have ot be concerned about the entire system? My inverter and everything are always fine.

I unhooked the lights... it's just the wire from the positive battery to one side of the block, and the wire from the negative battery side, to the other side of the block.. still sparked... It didn't blow the fuse cause I stopped as soon as I saw the spark... but it got a bit of singe on the edge of the fuse blade...

I don't see a negative side to that block are you sure you are supposed to hook a negative to it. those type of fuse blocks usually only have a positive in a fuse and positive out. highdesertranger

my last post was for the Autozone one. but the one you posted for Amazon is defiantly a positive only. highdesertranger

ummm... so then I just hook up the positive from the battery to the block? then why do they put two blades for each on... I'm sure you're right because this last time that I put the fuse on, when it didn't blow but sparked.. the spark came from the negative side... let me try again, but with only positive...

ok only positive from the battery is hooked up... fuse went in fine.. now that I'm putting the light wires on.. am I only doing positive?

MrAlvinDude said:
This fuseblock design goes not distribute power to each of the fuses.  

Here is a quick sketch of how this design of fuse block can/should be connected

So Everything I hook up has to go directly to the battery for negative??? that' can't happen...

ArmorAbby said:
I hooked up an LED light strip, positive on one side of the block, negative on the other.

It should go from positive battery terminal to fuse, from the other side of the fuse to positive pole of the light. Then negative pole of the light to negative battery terminal. Is that what you did?

I still have this wire with a quick-release connector on it, connected to the negative battery terminal... originally, i had this going to the fuse block.. thinking it was the 'negative' side....
For now, I'm going to hook the negative from the light to this, so it is connected to the negative on teh battery... ok.. ten seconds and I'll try to turn it on...

Use a negative buss, can be located near the positive distribution, very similar idea to the fusebox without the fuses.

The only one (properly sized) wire makes the run to the battery terminal (or its negative buss).

MrAlvinDude said:
Here is a quick sketch of how this design of fuse block can/should be connected

Except you don't need to have the positive wire from the battery run through two fuses. The red line could've connected directly with the short jumper wires.