I change my DC-DC 20A to 40A

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King76

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of replacing the connection from my car battery to my DC-DC. I am going from a 20A DC-DC to 40A and changing my cable to a 4 gauge instead of 8. The required length is approximately 13 feet.

I ran a new cable under the cad to connect the positive terminal.

My question is simple: can I use the two 8 gauge wires in place for the negative terminal?

THANKS

Welcome to the Van Living Forum King.

The 8 gauge would probably do what you are wanting to do but it's up to you. Many here would use a fuse at either end of that 13 ft run on the positive just for safety.

Like these:

716fEFtO3lL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

I have a blue sea 60A before my DCDC, it's correct ?

Thanks

Hello,

This is what I saw happen too, but given that it is on the neutral wire, can it work?

In a DC circuit the current is the same throughout the entire circuit. 13’ is a fairly long distance for DC current and any resistance will be felt throughout the circuit so if you feel one wire is to be best to be 4 gauge I would use 4 gauge for the other for best efficiency as well. This is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Most estimates I have seen state two 8 gauge wires will conduct about 75% of what one 4 gauge wire will.
This is correct. 4 ga wire has about a 21mm cross sectional area for current to flow thru; where 8 ga is about 8.3 mm. So 2 8 ga will give about 16.6 mm cross section.
16.6/21 yields approximately 79% and taking an increase in current resistance into account, 75% would be an accurate approximation.

INTJohn

Latest posts