Never saw one of these mattresses for a car, or other..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
wandering soul.  my mattress is a combo high density with a built in memory topper.
Highdesertranger

This is what the topper on my mattress is at home and I love it.  Hard to find now.  Thanks for the link!

wanderingsoul said:
Thank you.  Memory foam or high density?

I sleep on a standard foam mattress I got at Mattress Firm. I don't know the density rating, but it's firm enough for when I weighed 250 pounds (200 now), yet still felt nice and soft. I have a 4" memory foam topper I use most of the year. In summer it holds too much heat, so I put it under the mattress in the hot months. In cold weather my body heat keeps the memory foam soft where I'm in contact with it, but it does get firm and cool elsewhere. It quickly warms and softens when I move onto those areas.

G0ldengirl68 said:
I need something thicker, pretty sure.  I can't handle my butt hitting bottom ;( Maybe it wouldn't in this, I don't know??
On the link you can choose the thickness and the size. I was happy with the thin one on a plywood base.
-crofter

Yeah, on that link I gave they will make a custom mattress any size and thickness with any combination of foam you want. Give them a call they are very helpful. Highdesertranger

That is a great looking site! I've bookmarked it after I know exactly what size mattress I need.  I have a nice "cooler topper" I guess you call it, 2" Fit on top of the Foam rubber.  I use it now on my memory foam mattress because I didn't want to get rid of it.  It's nicer with it on anyway although the mattress is memory foam layers, with a cool layer on top.  Glad I kept the topper since I can use it in the camper ;) Thanks for the link @highdesertranger

For about 30 years my therma-rest air mattress has served me well, mostly. I removed a back seat in my car and replaced it with a box fastened down with the same bolts. With the front right seat forward, a removable box fits between the first box and the seat. The back of the car and the 2 boxes make a 6 foot bed. The 30 year old air mattress is a perfect fit. Sort of. When I inflate it to my comfort zone it is a lot like a piece of 20 X 72 in styro-foam. With bedding on top and wooden lids underneath it was more that a little awkward at times. I had already started to think about other solutions when, for the second time, I closed the tailgate on the air mattress and made it into an air maybe.

The solution took a bit of trial and error and a few trips to the thrift store. Keep in mind that I have been quite happy with the 20 inch width of the air mattress. The new product was almost right with a camping mat in the middle and yoga mats top and bottom. I wanted it fairly firm but I wanted to sort of sink down a bit into the top layer. One of my favorite stores has a section at the back where they sell liquidation, discontinued and other weird things. You can find just about anything there as long as you didn't go in looking for it. The egg-carton foam for speaker cabinets is perfect.

I cut new lids for the boxes with 3/4 inch sides on them. The mattress is in three lengths, one for each box and one for the back. To keep the pieces together and as bedding, I used pillow cases, which just happened to be 20 inches wide. I've slept on it every night for the last week and it makes me very happy. Everything stays in place very well. I can lift up either wooden section and its mattress with no problems. I discovered another benefit as well. I built a shelf at window height in the back of the car, mostly for use when stopped. I don't want projectiles up there but, when I'm packing things into the car I can put the last bit of mattress up there instead of setting things on top of it.

MG

It looks nice & compfy.
I've seen this a while ago.

Inflatables don't last long,
frustrating to chase down holes & patch  And the cold air inside will suck the heat out of your body without a lot of blanket between.

It might last awhile with short term use. I like the design. And anything beats laying on the torture chamber seats.

I prefer using memory foam,
It's much more kind to your well being. Just cut it to size and make a slip cover, and I made  two straps to roll it.
Throw sheets on it and your set.
Condensation, especially from the moisture of your breath and any moisure in the air, mostly cooler to cold weather, will get absorbed into the memory foam like a sponge, a damp-wet
sponge.

And yes it gets hard & stiff as board depending on temps In cold weather.
It's more like survival
at -23 degrees, it's solid as a rock!

Hope you find something that suits you,
Happy Hunting :)

Or combine with a moisture proof cover. For smaller size getups a duvet cover will work.
-crofter

Latest posts