Never saw one of these mattresses for a car, or other..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've woken up in the middle of the night on too many deflated air mattresses.

You could buy a twin foam mattress and cut to fit or there are foam companies online that
will do custom cuts. I just ordered a topper for my minivan bed from one of them.

crofter said:
I like memory foam, can be cut to fit and will never deflate. 
-crofter

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sens...win-Kids-Mattress-Blue/14915118?selected=true
I do too, that's what my bed is here at my apt.  I wanted to show folks that are living in cars, but that air mattress is pretty inexpensive imo.  Good memory foam can be inexpensive too.  I got extremely lucky to get my Full-size layered with cooling layer on top, but it's not ever too cold for me anyway.  Super comfy.  Don't know what it would be like for more than one person, but seems like it doesn't rock and roll much at all ;)

Every couple of years someone here will ask about these, so at least a few people know about them, but I don't think I've ever seen a report from anyone who got one and lived with it. I KNOW no one has reported back that it was amazing and functioned perfectly.

I wish I'd know about these in 2017 when I was driving from South Texas to North Idaho in the Ford Taurus my mother gave me... sleeping in the back, at truck stops. After a few days the hardness of the back seat bothered me a lot.

I've read that memory foam gets hard in cold weather, is that so?

"'ve read that memory foam gets hard in cold weather, is that so?"

Well not hard like wood but it does get a little stiff. However an air mattress is cold and will suck the heat right out of you.

Also the air inside expands and contracts according to the temp. it also does that when you change elevation. So you are constantly adding air or letting air out. I gave up on air mattresses many years ago and went to foam.

Highdesertranger

travelaround said:
I wish I'd know about these in 2017 when I was driving from South Texas to North Idaho in the Ford Taurus my mother gave me... sleeping in the back, at truck stops. After a few days the hardness of the back seat bothered me a lot.
Yeah, I was hoping it might help someone that need a bit of comfort.  Even when I was younger I never liked sleeping without some padding.  I guess maybe when I was a kid I didn't care.  But seems like we had those cheapie air mattresses that would go flat in the night, because we got a leak using them in the water during the day, lol!

crofter said:
I like memory foam, can be cut to fit and will never deflate. 
-crofter

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sens...win-Kids-Mattress-Blue/14915118?selected=true
This one comes with an inner and outer cover, so you can make your cuts and still have a waterproof zippered cover when you are done. 

I cut mine lengthwise to have a 24 inch seat and a 14 inch back rest (that's pretty low). I put through some yarn ties with a darning needle to tighten the cover. At $75,  pretty cheap & comfortable  sleeping for a short person.

Bob's hack for wintertime is to add a thermarest for extra warmth. I use extra vest instead.
-crofter

Pricey but warm.
https://www.thermarest.com/sleeping-pads/trek-and-travel/trail-lite-sleeping-pad/trail-lite.html

wanderingsoul said:
I've woken up in the middle of the night on too many deflated air mattresses.

You could buy a twin foam mattress and cut to fit or there are foam companies online that
will do custom cuts.  I just ordered a topper for my minivan bed from one of them.
I had one for the first few months when I moved into this apartment.  Never deflated but I figure I got lucky on that ;)  It was a walmart twin size, the blue ones? I have another now as I gave all my camp-gear away as I settled in here (thats lasted 5.7 years) until I got the call of the wild again ;) I've used it just once so far.

highdesertranger said:
"'ve read that memory foam gets hard in cold weather, is that so?"

Well not hard like wood but it does get a little stiff. 

went to foam.

Highdesertranger

Thank you.  Memory foam or high density?

I knew the air-mattresses get cold but didn't know the other things you mention HDR. Good to know for sure! I plan for memory foam if I can get it, I guess you buy it and cut it to size. I love my memory foam bed here in the apt. Excellent for me with cooling layer. Got lucky again buying it from Amazon, couple 100 bucks was all.

Travel Snacks on YouTube used to be in a car (now has a van) and she went through a ton of those mattresses. There’s only one she recommends. The other’s didn’t last more than a few nights before getting holes in them.

lab_nomad said:
...didn’t last more than a few nights before getting holes in them.
I am thinking of the dog claws. Nothing stays inflated.
-crofter

The air mattress doesn't need a hole to deflate. A change in temp, warm to cool or elevation high to low will cause it to deflate. And of course the opposite also happens. This is a pain in the a** in the high desert where you have huge temperature swings almost everyday.

wandering soul. my mattress is a combo high density with a built in memory topper. I you don't want the memory you can flip it over. I got it from these guys,

https://militarysupplyhouse.com/sleepus3.htm

Highdesertranger

I use Japanese futons. They roll up nicely and are filled with cotton so good in both hot and cold.

2176228.jpg

Attachments

• 2176228.jpg
    2176228.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 13