AC vs DC switch...for a 12V DC load

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT646

Reaction score
I've asked a few electricians this question...and most don't see a problem, but I wanted to check-in with the folks here first.
I'd like to use a small 12V/DC computer fan like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C7CCJVP...5MD6DSCW&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

...on a regular house type light switch (120V AC 15A)...for this very small DC load. I know for bigger loads you definitely want a DC switch--due to potential arcing (watch this video comparing AC to DC with a knife switch...Yikes!

Yes I could use a small/DC toggle switch, but I already have the AC one and like the look better....and have a nice place to mount it. (Fan is for additional cooling for a camper vans 30A DC-DC charger.)

As the video shows an ac breaker cannot properly extinguish the dc load. Ac & dc breakers are designed differently so as to properly extinguish the respective ac or dc current. Any electrician should know & understand this so I don’t have a clue what sort of “electricians” you’ve been consulting but I would definitely remove them from my consult list.

A proper dc breaker is not expensive at all. Basically cheap considering what can go wrong. Of course you can always set up and conduct your own experiment ala the vid and make a hands on decision as to whether or not you’ll set fire to your stuff. 🔥

Good luck!
INTJohn

Ok I just asked this question to Google's A.I. (Gemini)...shown below:

Can I use a regular 120V AC wall switch for a 12volt DC switch with a maximum 2 watt circuit?

No, it is not recommended to use a regular 120V AC wall switch for a 12V DC circuit with a 2-watt load, even though the wattage is low. Here's why:

Voltage Mismatch: A 120V AC switch is designed for a completely different electrical system than a 12V DC circuit. It might not function correctly or safely with the lower DC voltage.
Sparking: AC circuits tend to have self-extinguishing arcs when switching due to the way the voltage alternates. DC circuits have constant voltage, and interrupting current with DC can create more persistent sparks. This can damage the switch contacts over time and lead to overheating or failure, even for a low wattage application.

While the 2-watt load is minimal, a 120V AC switch isn't built for the specific characteristics of a DC circuit.

Here's a safer approach:

Use a 12V DC Switch: Look for a switch specifically rated for 12V DC operation. These are readily available and designed for the lower voltage and current of DC circuits. They will handle the switching of your low wattage load safely and reliably.

While the 2-watt load might seem insignificant, it's important to use the right tool for the job. A 12V DC switch is the most appropriate choice for your application.

.....Darn this A.I. Logic. :-o

That is funny. I much prefer the cleaner, minimal look of the 12v control panels versus those standard house lighting switches that are in a style that is now pretty close to being 100 years old.

That is funny. I much prefer the cleaner, minimal look of the 12v control panels versus those standard house lighting switches that are in a style that is now pretty close to being 100 years old.
I guess I'm getting old--I like those light switches. Imagine that Apollo 13 movie...if the LEM and Command module was AC instead of DC...and had hundreds of light switches instead of toggles. :-o

We have push button switches in our house built in 1890 & before electric it had a carbide generator that made Acetylene to run the lights just like the old miners head lamps. They used the gas piping for conduit for the wiring when installing electric.