12 Volt and Tiny ACs for Nomads

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I cant find any more pics Ill take some.

I researched as much as possible about the air required to keep it cool and happy. One guy had his in a rubbermaid tote and it was OK. The oval seems fine, though I probably dont have over 25 or 30 hrs on it. Its never acted like it was getting too hot in 3-4 hrs at a time max running in 80s/90s temps.

andi said:
Bob recently posted a video about someone with a window air conditioner in the window of their van or RV. I was like, "So 2015."

I saw a van conversion video where a conversion company installs these: KingtecUSA Air Conditioner KTF-1 https://kingtecusa.com/product/ktf-1
Looks like it's typically used for cooling truck cabs.

This appears to be a similar product:  https://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/ 
- HDs/L-12 and HDs/L-24 DC Air Conditioners for your truck or RV (ducting unit optional)

Also this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QSFMQJZ/ - 12V Compact Refrigeration Cooling Systems Air Conditioning Systems with Miniature Rotary Compressor - for Electric Vehicle Chiller Water Dispenser Freezer Electronics Cooling Module DIY (12V,1.9cc)  by CAMPELIFY

Then there are evaporative coolers like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQRPR9Y/

Someone mentioned this in another thread (the portable AC thread) but it's not 12V:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253665084/zero-breeze-the-worlds-coolest-portable-air-condit - Zero Breeze - The World’s Coolest Portable Air Conditioner - but it's tiny!

I want someone to persuade Bob to do a comparison of AC units that are appropriate to nomad vans and RVs (using only solar, not generators).
Zero Breeze now offers a generation II that is twin hose. It run on 24V dc and delivers 2000 BTU on 200 watts, it has a sleep mode that draws only 115 watts. I bought one and it works really well if you set it up to at last give it a chance. Some people have given bad reviews stating that it does not cool their uninsulated van sitting in th blazing sun on a 125 degree asphalt parking lo???

Its interesting seeing the various options, but it looks like the starting price on the zero breeze gen II I just googled is about $950. The other cooler/AC units in the link were about $1300-$1400 for starter models, and the other one was several thousand. The evaporative coolers dont do as well in humid environments, house unit evaporative coolers (AKA swamp coolers) have been common in the southwest for ages, but,...still dont cool as well as actual AC. I ran a swamp cooler in my cabin one season, it saved a bit on electricity from my older window AC, but wasnt able to cool as well as the actual AC. I also got some rust on a couple guns due to the moisture it put in the air. I went back the the regular window AC in the cabin. The newer one I have is only using a modest amount more power than what the swamp cooler did.

So far, I havent seen anything thats truly cost competitive with a window AC and generator, so long as you accept that the gen is a useful item in its own right and worth having, so I can justify the cost of the gen as more than simply to run the AC on. The replacement, as someone pointed out elsewhere, is pretty cheap on the window AC units. It croaks, go get about $125 or so unit from walmart of wherever. The gen is a longer term investment to me, so besides the initial cost, pays for itself in longer term use and being useful for other things.

I still want to get a solar system when I get my cargo trailer project going, but it wont completely replace a gen for many uses. I also like that I can run a skill saw, electric chain saw or other power tools (or potentially a battery charger) from it on a moments notice with no problem.

i wen thru this looking for a ac for a teardrop trailer battery powered. in the end, the cost difference in 12v battery inverter window unit ac vs a zero breeze or even a self built unit was enough that going with a windows unit gave the most bank for the buck when running off battery. havent fully tested my setup, but im looking at 2+ hours on lithium batteries.
current set up is 8 nissan leaf battery modules at 8.4v 40a, wired for 12v that give me only 3/4 of the capacity through a HF 1500w inverter, with 100w of solar on the roof and a generator for the bulk charging.

Just get a Prius, then you can either live in it or use a direct wired 3000 watt inverter to the big battery to power a window ac in your camper pulling the trailered Prius. You get a generator that is quiet, transportation that is economical, a climate controlled space, and an inverter big enough to run a house almost all in one!

This is the Cheap RV Living forum, you can run any cooling system you want if you have plenty of money.  There is no beating a $100 5k btu window AC for saving money. I have been running a solar powered 5k AC through the Arizona heat for several years now and it has been spotlessly reliable.
My setup and setup you could purchase now:
915 Watts of solar -  $400 San Tan solar currently has 400 watt panels for $200, two of these is enough to run solar AC
Victron controller   -  $350 for one that could run 2x400 watt panels
1000 Watt Pure Sine Wave inverter  -  $350 Pro Watt is the one I have used for weeks at a time without shutting off, very reliable, I would get the 2000
watt one if you have the money
100 AH Marine RV battery from Wal Mart  -  $89 ( I would recommend getting at least 2 of these, but the AC will run off of one, the sun is powering the AC)
Solar cables, wiring, fuses  - $50

So for $1400 you can run a 5k btu AC during sunlight hours; about 9am to 5pm during summer.
Plus the solar will be useable for all your other needs too.

My 5k BTU AC initially pulls 360 watts, when it is 100 degrees out and the AC has been running for a bit it pulls 460 watts.
It really pulls too much power to run off of batteries, has to be sunlight hitting the panels, unless you have several lithium batteries, but then Cheap RV living isn't your concern if you can spend $4000 in batteries. 

Other pluses are a 1000 watt inverter will run a 600 watt microwave (pulls 900 watts), an induction plate on lower settings, an insta pot, a 600 watt rv electric water heater, and can charge ebike batteries. And this is all free power once installed, peaceful and quiet for your neighbors. Everyone universally hates rvers that run generators, we tolerate our friends that must use them because they have to. 

Anyways, there are a few inverter window AC units now, they are 4x the cost of the cheap 5k units. 
Also, 90 degree and hotter days, a 5k window AC can only cool about a 7x7x7 foot area well, any larger and it is less effective. I personally have made a dark room within my RV with thick hanging drapes that close off my ez chair, couch and TV into a 7 foot space that stays nice. Without the drapes the RV might only be 15 degrees cooler than outside.

You can find creative ways to minimize the trashy looks of window ACs, I have mine located in such a place as it is almost unnoticeable.

All the other AC options have been out there for years, they are just not affordable or simple. If you have the space a mini split is a little bit more efficient, but also 6x the price of a window unit. those 12V ones have always been insanely priced. Best thing about 5k window unit is if it breaks, it is only $100 for a new one, but I have found them to be reliable.

You do not want to go cheap on the controller or inverter.

andi said:
Bob recently posted a video about someone with a window air conditioner in the window of their van or RV. I was like, "So 2015."
Many "window" air conditioners are also available as "thru-the-wall" units. This option usually changes the mounting flange area, and is designed to be installed in a metal sleeve, or case. I have not personally done this, but it might make mounting these ACs easier or more robust.

I can not speak to how well this works
The ClimateRight CR2500ACH 2,500 BTU Mini Portable Outdoor Air Conditioner and Heater is the perfect solution for heating and cooling micro structures up to 400 cubic feet. The unit sits outside your structure, $449

Itripper said:
You can find creative ways to minimize the trashy looks of window ACs, I have mine located in such a place as it is almost unnoticeable.

I found the closest color spray paint to my vehicle color to paint the window AC unit with, its much less noticeable on casual observation.

Itripper said:
This is the Cheap RV Living forum, you can run any cooling system you want if you have plenty of money.  There is no beating a $100 5k btu window AC for saving money. I have been running a solar powered 5k AC through the Arizona heat for several years now and it has been spotlessly reliable.
Great write up, thanks for sharing. Nothing like managing and controlling your environment. I have a Frigidaire 5000 "Softer" start  model  I run off solar during the day, at  night I use the ZB on batteries.  My build is a box that I slide on to a Alumaweld trailer. The box isn't about trying to go the cheap route but more of insulation factor. I have the box at R-11. On a 30 degree delta summer day, it only looses 1135 Btu/hr, at night about 700 Btu loss/hr  , this is where the ZB takes over on sleep mode average 110 watts /hr , believe it or not but I add about 300 Btu to the load when sleeping.

Malamute said:
 I found the closest color spray paint to my vehicle color to paint the window AC unit with, its much less noticeable on casual observation.
Great  idea Malamute, You know, when it's hot as hell, the  mentality  that I must  have a rig that is much more flashy and  beautiful than everybody else greatly diminishes when I am sitting in my box surrounded by 75 deg air. That  "window unit"  starts to look like a vase full of roses!

highdesertranger said:
Bum what is a ZB battery.

highdesertranger
"at  night I use the ZB on batteries."  
The ZB is a 24v dc air conditioner called Zero Breeze model II.  It is 2300 Bu with an EER of about 10. It has several fan speeds and modes. It is a digital ramp up micro rotary compressor type. Literally starts at about 10 watts and slowly ramps up to max in about 10 seconds, no surge. At night it only uses about 110 watts making around 1100 Btu , I run it on 2 LiFePo's that easily make it through the night.  This technology got it's start via portable cooling for race car drivers, cooling for fire fighters, cooling for medical situations, etc. It is very light weight. Now some people hate it  as they bought it to cool their uninsulated van sitting in full sun on a 100 degree day and nope, it doesn't.   Not for everyone, also it is expensive but I got mine in a crowd funder for 1/2 price, and still was expensive.

Most vans, trucks, etc already have AC built-in - for use while driving.

Why have two AC systems in a single vehicle?

Is it feasible to liberate the vehicle's existing AC compressor from the engine by removing it from the belt and bolting on a DC motor - such as in the Pacifica hybrids and Prius?  The environmental controls and air handling system would also need to be diverted to the battery bank instead of running off the engine power.

I suspect that a DC motor and some rewiring would be cheaper and a lot more efficient than a home AC unit running on an inverter.

The smallest car air conditioner compressors use about 1 hp or 750 watts. Most use well over 1500 watts, and that is without the radiator fan or interior fan. That adds up quickly when running off a battery.

The OP did specify it would be for Solar, not a generator powering the AC.

An RV or conversion configured for large appliances (ranges, hot water, microwave) would typically have sufficient battery banks to provide 2000 to 3000 watts. To run AC overnight would require at least 800Ah, but probably more like 1200Ah - a pretty substantial bank. A much smaller installation could run AC for a few hours but not all night.

Auto air conditioners run from ~4KW for a small compact car to 20+KW for a large van.  That is the maximum watts you need to run it.  You will also want to run a fan behind the heat exchanger to maximize efficiency.

To determine how many watt hours you need to run it depends on:
 - the temperature differential you want to hold (outside - inside temperature),
 - the heat transfer of the space you are cooling (heat added from sun).
 - how long the ac runs.

As an example: a white Prius in full sun (90º air temp) will take about 2000W to cool down and ~800W to maintain 70º inside temperature.