Very Compact Portable AC 5100 BTU

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Itripper,

Thanks for posting this. I don't have any experience with this one, but it looks good. I like the size and the price isn't too crazy. I know from my own experience that the dual-hose system provides a big advantage, especially during the daytime.

Is that rectangular thing in the fifth picture down some kind of intake/exhaust manifold to mount in the wall of your vehicle? Nice-looking hardware if it is.

Johnny

The efficiency is pretty low but it looks like it would be easier to install than a window unit.

Interesting.  I wonder what type of refrigerant is used, and whether it can be economically recharged if needed.  (That seems to be an issue with the ForestAir portable mini-split.  Apparently there is a tendency for it to loose refrigerant over time and w/b costly to recharge.)

Big red flag warnings!!!!! It think this whole thing is nothing more than a scam. They can and do happen on Amazon.

I would not buy anything from a company that is only posting one product with a total of 2 reviews. If you look at this page you will see they are selling the exact same unit giving it different BTU ratings at different price points.
https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A168K9H0XZ2P3V&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You did not look very closely at that image of the product because if you had you would have noted the following about it:
No control knobs or switches of any kind are located anywhere on that housing.
No electrical cords of any kind attached to the housing. Or even a place to attach a cord to it.
No labels of any kind on that AC unit
That whole setup for the housing is a FAKE, quite likely it is a computer image generated from a 3D CAD design program.

No warranty information is posted.
No electrical compliance info is given such as it being UL listed.

I think you should report this sales listing to Amazon so they can investigate it ASAP and remove it.

I am laughing myself silly at that CAD modeler who forgot to include an electrical fitting on the unit to plug a cord into.
This AC unit does not even exist, its not real, it is just a 3D CAD image.

I am a 3D CAD drafter. I work for a professional product designer. I use 3D CAD all the time, I know what I am seeing on that Amazon page.

It is very obviously not a photo of an real object. The shadows are done by the lighting/rendering functions in such a program. The surfaces of the metal are obviously a computer generated image. The image is missing details that should be on the back of a real portable AC unit.

To show you the difference I am posting some images from the back sides of real units from real companies that  were also posted on Amazon. One is a Whynter Brand the other one is a unit being marketed as an Amazon Basic. The backside is not just a plain smooth face with some venting, they have essential fittings installed on that surface. You can't run an air conditioner without providing power to it can you ? You also can't sell and AC unit in the US without any labeling that states the electrical specifications and the serial number of the unit, th name of the model, the year of make and the name of the maker. Sometimes it is what you don't see that really needs to be there which is what gives you a clue as to what is faked and what is real.
Amazon Basic AC.JPG
whynter AC.JPG

Attachments

• Amazon Basic AC.JPG
    Amazon Basic AC.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 5
  • whynter AC.JPG
    whynter AC.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 7
Every now and then I agree with Maki2, and yes, this smells like a scam.

There are a LOT of scams out there, including scams that happen on Amazon. Yes, scams on Amazon!

It's the darling store of the forum and youtube but there are many issues and problems. 

Not gonna get on my soapbox, but just look at the vendor for that unit: Gene Space...just launched...$950 CDN....red flag! Beware of possible scammer!

https://www.amazon.ca/sp?_encoding=...derID=&seller=A168K9H0XZ2P3V&tab=&vasStoreID=

Draw your own conclusions.

Thanks for the heads up, folks.

I was wondering about the lack of details myself. Several things about it didn't make sense.

Good thing I didn't just up and buy one. Whew!

Johnny

On Amazon I asked some questions on this unit. Why no controls, indicators, power cord or power port. Why 2 air ports on the window adapter but only one on the unit? I'll see if they respond.

It gets curiouser and curiouser....here is the one reviewer for that unit...Kenny Draper.

He has posted ONE review.

Does anyone out there think this could be a REAL review, after reading it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/a...P7EWBOMDQBIU3Q/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_gw_btm?ie=UTF8

We really need a picture of that unit hanging in a window or in the testing lab or something...how hard could that be? Unless of course, it's FAKE.

Looking thru that listing, I saw this identical unit with three different BTU ratings....and its not like 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000...which would make some kind of sense, no, this is 5000, 5100, and 5800...

Buyer beware, all I can say.

mjbeam64 said:
On Amazon I asked some questions on this unit. Why no controls, indicators, power cord or power port. Why 2 air ports on the window adapter but only one on the unit? I'll see if they respond.

The last two pics on the US Amazon page look like they could be a smartphone interface. But you could still be SOL* if the app is buggy or you lose your phone.

(* Stupendously Out of Luck  :angel:)

maki2 said:
Big red flag warnings!!!!!  It think this whole thing is nothing more than a scam. They can and do happen on Amazon.

I would not buy anything from a company that is only posting one product with a total of 2 reviews. If you look at this page you will see they are selling the exact same unit giving it different BTU ratings at different price points.
https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A168K9H0XZ2P3V&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER
A person that I know on another forum who is a regular on it says they own one of these and they like it. I have not personally seen it but they told me about it. Yes there are 3 versions, the 5100 is supposedly a lot better than the 5000. I will get more info from the person who told me about it and real world info. They did say they have been using it and it works quite well.

Just talked to the lady who has one now. It is a 5k model currently cooling off her 11x12 foot room. It will be installed in her rig soon and she says she will post pics of the install when she installs it on her shuttle bus next week.She is going to try and run it off a Titan solar gen. She bought it for her rig but is using it for her small room right now. It does say it is voice control and wifi enabled, I'd rather have analog buttons myself, but this ac appears to be the only solution for my Alaskan pop up camper.

One of the Canadian reviewers says they bought it on Kickstarter. I just searched kickstarter back to 2018 and there is one project that looks vaguely like this, and it says the project was cancelled. Doesn't look like any funds were raised.