Needing advice about RV.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercy200

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have had my RV since September and had it on shore power. I have an Onan generator and have not started it since September.  Just read should start it once a month. Have a 1995 montara rv. Trying to  leave Iowa after thanksgiving.  Now  worried genny might not start. Been living in it and only taking it out to get propane.  Had lots of damage to rear room that has been repaired.  

Heat and lights work fine. Should I try to start the genny? I do have almost full tank of gas.  :huh:

Yes, start your generator. It's much better to know now whether it works or not. It also needs the exercise, so it's time to start it anyways. Unplug from shore power, start up your gennie, and let it run for a few minutes. Once it's been running for a while, put a little load on it and make sure it's working correctly.

Make sure and check the oil in your generator before you start it!

slow2day said:
Is there a reason for you not to start it?

Just not sure how.  We were working on getting the place repaired and never thought about it. Ok, need to get more propane and will start it when I get back. 

Thanks.

RVtrek said:
Yes, start your generator.  It's much better to know now whether it works or not.  It also needs the exercise, so it's time to start it anyways.  Unplug from shore power, start up your gennie, and let it run for a few minutes.  Once it's been running for a while, put a little load on it and make sure it's working correctly.

Make sure and check the oil in your generator before you start it!

Ok will do that.  

Currently living in my driveway in it and I have a slope. Thinking should go to Walmart parking lot and try to start it there on level ground.

I am so new at this.

Did someone else start if for you in September?

Do you have a user's guide/owner's manual for it? If not, Google the model # and see if you can download a copy from the manufacturer so you can know what you're dealing with.

Also Google....."RV generator safety".

Don't worry about it too much. My house generator sat for longer than it should...all summer in fact and most of the winter...started and ran just fine.

yes, start that puppy. should be a control panel for it in the RV somewhere. highdesertranger

slow2day said:
Did someone else start if for you in September?

Do you have a user's guide/owner's manual for it? If not, Google the model # and see if you can download a copy from the manufacturer so you can know what you're dealing with.

Also Google....."RV generator safety".

It was started when I bought it in September,  but not since. Trans went out on the way home and sat for a week ( holiday weekend ) before it got replaced.  Then drove it home  (bought in MN, live in central Iowa ).

I did download a manual for it.

DuneElliot said:
Don't worry about it too much. My house generator sat for longer than it should...all summer in fact and most of the winter...started and ran just fine.

That's incouraging!

highdesertranger said:
yes,  start that puppy.  should be a control panel for it in the RV somewhere.  highdesertranger

Need to read on how to do it.  

Wondering if I need to plug it up to the rv PowerLine or is it already ready to go?

Some older motorhomes and RVs have an automatic transfer switch, some don't.

If you have a matching receptacle in the shore cord storage bay then you probably have to plug the shore cord into that to get power from the generator.

There should be a start switch for the genset either on the dashboard or on the monitor panel. And there should be a start switch on the generator itself.

tx2sturgis said:
Some older motorhomes and RVs have an automatic transfer switch, some don't.

If you have a matching receptacle in the shore cord storage bay then you probably have to plug the shore cord into that to get power from the generator.

There should be a start switch for the genset either on the dashboard or on the monitor panel. And there should be a start switch on the generator itself.

Do I need to have the rv running? Yes there is a matching receptacle .

no you don't need to have the RV running. find the control panel and push start, see what happens. highdesertranger

Mine has 2 rocker switches. 1'inside and 1 on generator. Push one way to prime and the other way to start. P.s., you need to hold prime for 15 to 20 seconds, then try to start.

highdesertranger said:
no you don't need to have the RV running.  find the control panel and push start,  see what happens.  highdesertranger

Plugged the matching receptacle in, then found the control panel,  then pushed start button.  Took it 2 times, but the gennie did kick on.   :)

Thank everyone for helping me with this. 

Tried turning on furnace with gen running and the furnace kicked on, but less than a minute and the gen shut off.  Restarted it with furnace off, but gen stop after a minute.  Restarted it with nothing on to see if it will stay on.

Ok...checked oil...looks good. Rv is leaning towards the left so, that could be the problem.  The generator seems to be working ok. I  checked control panel and I don't need propane 3/4 full lights say. 

Going to plug backup to shore power now and get the heater going. It's cold here in central Iowa  lol.

Thank you all for your wonderful input.  

Hoping to see many of you at the RTR.