• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need build/maintenance help in exchange for unique living accommodations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indi

Reaction score
I am looking for someone/couple to help me tiny house my boats for the next couple of months (27ft Catalina sailboat & 32ft Wellcraft powerboat) in exchange for rent-free living on my docked 27ft sailboat--as well as some sailing lessons (if desired). The sailboat is comfortable (new dometic drawer refrigerator/freezer, electricity, running water/head, several bed options, and it's located in a gated slip in an exclusive Southern Califirnia marina. 

You don't need to have any prior experience w/ boats--but you must have a good work ethic, be handy/resourceful  and environmentally sensitive (some finish carpentry skills would be helpful). And your pet(s) are welcomed.

Boat life in the marina is very similar to stealthy van life w/ some exceptions: the boat is in a permanent slip, 24-hour gated parking, gated docks, unlimited electricity/water (on shore power), showers/laundry facilities, and some of my boat neighbors are sneak-aboards living an alternative living arrangement and some of my boat neighbors are the wealthy elite just parking their water toys. All my dock neighbors are great!

What do you mean by "tiny house my boats"? Major structural mods or just spiffing up?

Both; but mostly structural. I need cabinets built in galley and v-berth, new countertop/rails installed, flooring installed, safety netting installed around deck, wood sanded/oiled, window coverings installed, etc...

A) Where is this located?

B) How many hours per week of skilled labor (I don't care what you say. You will be very upset if an unskilled person builds the cabinets in your boats.) do you expect someone to work in exchange for just rent?

Keep in mind, most of us already have a free place to live. So, living in your boat is really only a small upgrade, in our minds. Nor do we care what the going rate for rent is in your area. Telling us that rent in your area is, say, $1,200 a month for a one-bedroom means nothing to us. We choose to simply not live in those areas. So, again, the free rent is not much of a motivator. However, living near water (if it is possible to swim in it) might be a bit of a motivator, but not if we/I gotta work all day just for the privilege of looking at the water while we work.

Now, I'm a moderately skilled cabinetmaker but with no professional experience. I take my time and can turn out some pretty nice work. But I'm still gonna want about $20 / hr for my labor (which is a real bargain). I recently rented a tiny basement apartment in KC for $450, including utilities. (Of course this wasn't on the water, and said water would have been frozen.) So, I'm thinking rent on your boat might be worth maybe $500 to me. But then, considering that you gotta motivate me to move from where I am right now, and that I know I can rent an RV spot in Lockhart, TX for $200 with utilities, you would have to "value" that free rent at closer to $300 - $400 to really motivate me to take the gig.  Now, considering I value my time at $20 / hr, that's a max of 20 hours PER MONTH.

Yes, I know, lots of people pay 1/3 or more of their wages in rent, and work 40 or more hours per week (≥ 160 hours / month, or > 53 hours for rent). But those people have not adopted the philosophy that paying that much for rent IS INSANE, as people here have. So you are really going to have to sweeten the deal to get many of us to pay any attention at all. And the few of us who do need some extra income... Well, they actually need some income. "Free rent for labor" still leaves them needing to do yet some more labor to have money to buy food.

You may be asking, "If I wasn't interested, then why didn't I just ignore your post?" That's because I wanted you to see just how unreasonable your offer is and why. People are often offering vandwellers "free rent" in exchange for labor. But it almost never works out to be a good deal for the one doing the labor. Remember, most of us vandwellers already have an income that supports us in our chosen lifestyle. And we already get free rent. So, to many of us, an offer of free rent for labor really just looks like someone is trying to get free labor. 

Now, if after reading all that, you aren't just pissed off and wish I would go away, then I might be interested... if you are willing to make a more reasonable offer. I'm willing to work 20 hours a week. The first week of the month would go towards rent. The rest would need to be paid. I might, maybe be willing to go as low as $15 an hour, but only if the area and accommodations are really spectacular.

the job is in Southern California, he said in his first post. highdesertranger

LoveCareThinkDo said:
..... I wanted you to see just how unreasonable your offer is and why.

For you anyway. Someone else may think differently. Some retired nomads may be happy to stay busy and work for less.

For me though, I intend to stay as far away from SoCal as I can.

There's no pay involved. I'm looking for someone to work alongside me. I'd like to kick ideas around--and if we f$ck up--well, we'll just try again.

I'm a free-spirit (sailor). I understand adventurers--so if I'm working on my boat and the wind calls for a sail, I go! I'm not wealthy...nor a tyrant. Many sneak-aboard boat dwellers are in the same financial position as fulltime RV'ers. If I could afford to hire a skilled boat laborer, I wouldn't be posting here.

And 20 hours of work a week sounds reasonable to me. Living a balanced life is exactly why I chose to live on the ocean.

This could be a good opportunity for...
__someone looking for a new adventure (nothing better than sleeping on the water).

__,someone that wants to learn about a new nomadic community.

__someone that wants to learn to sail (or revisit sailing).

__someone looking to stay in a gorgeous location for a couple of months.

__someone looking for a place to stay while renovating/remodeling their van.

The 24-hour gated parking is not available to anything larger than a Class B van. But you could sleep on the boat while you renovate your van in the parking lot (and/or sleep in your van while working on the boat)...it's up to you. It's a safe location--and you'll have all the permits to be there.

Hmm but is it a LEGAL liveaboard slip? Are you one of the sneak-a-boards? Will you be forcing your temporary employee to be a sneak-a-board? Full disclosure required ;) It is only fair to let people know up front what kind of trouble they may be getting into.

I am one of thousands of sneak-aboards in California (live-aboard waiting lists are 10+ years). As the slip owner, I carry all the risk. The rules are you can stay on your boat 48-consecutive hours weekly (basically 2 nights). One of the awesome ways of getting around it is to take a quick sail every two days! Breaks up the consecutive days rule. Many boat owners work on their boats daily, so the marina doesn't actually keep track.

I've had this lifestyle for several years--and I've never once had a problem. My dock alone has 8 to 12 sneak-aboards living on it at any given time.

It's NOT like the dreaded knock on the stealthy van window. If my marina had any concerns, they would send me an email (and not even expect me to respond for two months!!). It's not a free parking spot--it's paid for.

Fortunately we are not in that situation of having to be sneaky. We have a legal live-a-board slip and a workshop space just up the street. In fact my partner is at the monthly live-a-board meeting right this minute. I think he is the Vice President at the moment as no one volunteered. He is the most senior live-a-aboard at the marina with +30 years. I asked the other day how many individual legal live-a-board people were currently dwelling in the marina. It is just over 300, it is a very large marina. The big parking lot is pretty much full every evening so lots of people sleeping on their boats.

While he was on the waiting list he sublet slip space from official live-a-boards who were off cruising.

Good luck on your quest to make your dream boat interior come to life before the start of summer. But of course you will enjoy the summer on the boat even if you don't get a helper.

Very unique offering. If I didn't have something coming together for seasonal gig in National Forest I would be drawn to the sailing lessons. I could probably finish the cabinetry in my camper too.

Hmm...

Bet somebody snags this.

Indi said:
I am looking for someone/couple to help me tiny house my boats for the next couple of months (27ft Catalina sailboat & 32ft Wellcraft powerboat)

Why 2 boats?    Collector or flipper?

Maki2-- Yes, that is fortunate. But it's hardly sneaky here...the locals don't actually care (many prefer having regular residents keeping an eye on the dock).

Many sneak-aboards here are also van dwellers (they jump between the two)--and a sneak-aboard life can be much less stressful than stealthy van dwelling.

Doesn't sound like you're in California. California state law only allows 10% of a marina to be liveaboard, 34ft +, and must have a permanent sewage line to shore.

Every sailor I've met sailing down from the Great Northwest gets pissed off about California's nickel-and-dime, greedy laws.

Slow2day...I got an insane deal on the powerboat--and I'm going to flip it as soon as I finish the sailboat build. My goal is to come out w/ zero living expenses for 2020.

Indi said:
I am one of thousands of sneak-aboards in California (live-aboard waiting lists are 10+ years). As the slip owner, I carry all the risk.

The rules are you can stay on your boat 48-consecutive hours weekly, per slip (basically 2 nights). I own two slips (96-consecutive hours )--so I can legally stay in the marina for 4 consecutive nights a week. One of the awesome ways of getting around it is to take a quick sail every couple of days!  Breaks up the consecutive days rule.

Many boat owners work on their boats daily, so the marina doesn't technically keep track. They're well aware, though...and I have a great relationship with them. I pay my bills in advance, I'm a kind and helpful boat neighbor, and I'm environmentally conscious.

I've lived this lifestyle for several years--and I've never once had a problem. My dock alone has 8 to 12 sneak-aboards living on it at any given time.

It's NOT like the dreaded knock on the stealthy van window. If my marina had any concerns, they would send me an email (and not even expect me to respond for two months!!). It's NOTa FREE parking spot--it's paid for.