Extreme Low Budget -- No Running Vehicle -- RV Living

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit to not reading the whole post. But I have read the responses.

Imagine a concentrated number of people, at the RTR or the slabs, dumping black tanks down a fence post hole. Surely, that can't be good for the delicate balance of the desert enironment or any other habitat

cyndi said:
Imagine a concentrated number of people, at the RTR or the slabs, dumping black tanks down a fence post hole. Surely, that can't be good for the delicate balance of the desert enironment or any other habitat
Synonymous with fertilizer? WOW, the desert is going to bloom this spring! Or the gophers are going to revolt. :p 
Seriously, when out in nature with a shovel, how deep do most folks dig?
In my minds eye, I'm guessing most will only dig about a foot or less? Be honest now.
This topic would make an interesting thread. What do most van dwellers do with their Black water? I have watched one of Bob's videos where he double bags it and tosses it in a dumpster. Having said that, how do most here do it? (new thread time)

Hi Jim, welcome to the site. I enjoy hearing everyone's opinions and outlooks so I hope you stick around past this initial dog pile.

For what it's worth, I think I understand your points and I agree with a lot of them to an extent. We could no doubt argue about nuances for hours around a campfire but I wouldn't dream of trying to do it online.

That is a nice barn you made, btw. I like the construction concepts.

See you on the road.

National Parks I've read about say that if you're going to use "cat holes", bury it at least 15 cm deep(about 6 inches). Bag out the T.P, not because paper is bad for the environment, but because animals dig up the T.P. At one point in history, not only did bears(and every other animal) shat in the woods, but also humans. Not endorsing anyone's point of view, but if its not illegal, and the "State" gives you guide lines on how to "properly" bury it, what's the issue?

On a side note, water is good for the body. However, add some specific qualifiers to that and you can die of an "O.D" of water. Moderation is usually a safe bet. Happy trails!

JIM PETERSON said:
 Do not those who offer unsecured credit with high limits to college students and young people without jobs deserve *some* of the blame? I've been retired for 17 months with drastically reduced income . . . Surely these predatory lenders deserve to get spanked far more often than they do.
==========
You write as if these options don't exist -- as if you'd just as soon someone in financial trouble jump off that bridge!To me, integrity means being true to yourself regardless of what others think. I'm not on the run and I surely no longer consider myself a victim. That is what I *WAS* when I allowed the opinions of others to matter more in my one and only precious life than what I thought. At this late stage of my life, I have evicted everyone from my control room and welded the door shut. It's me at the controls now -- nobody else is allowed to get near them.
==========
I feel sorry for those who give far too much value to the opinions of others instead of declaring their personal freedom from all that nonsense and acting on it.

From what you've written, you were never a victim except of your own choices. You have not once, in any of your posts here, taken responsibility for your actions that got you into a bad situation.    In fact you've advocated that others don't need to take responsibility for their actions either, and that going "on the run" is a solution to their problems.   You got in over your head, but you blame it on others...  and then say it's ok to just walk away and stiff folks to whom you owed a legitimate debt that you were willing to undertake at the time.   I can't buy that.  You were responsible for your own decisions and where they led.  Sorry, I can't let you off that hook.  We are each responsible for the decisions we make.  

And integrity is not about being true to yourself,  it's about being true to guiding principles that you adopt, and sticking to those guiding principles even when that course may damage you personally.   You're right... no one will remember if you paid your bills... but that's not your legacy.  Your legacy is what strength you gift to others while you're still here.  If you advocate for strength of character in adversity, THAT will be remembered.  If you don't advocate for anything, no one will remember you at all. 

So, Jim...  peace and Godspeed in your chosen course,  just don't expect me to condone your path.

Wabbit said:
National Parks I've read about say that if you're going to use "cat holes", bury it at least 15 cm deep(about 6 inches). Bag out the T.P, not because paper is bad for the environment, but because animals dig up the T.P. At one point in history, not only did bears(and every other animal) shat in the woods, but also humans. Not endorsing anyone's point of view, but if its not illegal, and the "State" gives you guide lines on how to "properly" bury it, what's the issue?

On a side note, water is good for the body. However, add some specific qualifiers to that and you can die of an "O.D" of water. Moderation is usually a safe bet. Happy trails!

Its about density and quantity and how much the environment can hold without being damaged.  The Salton Sea basin is fragile, and will be getting more fragile as it dries up.  As it is, the topsoil in those evaporated areas is toxic from farm runoff.  Slab City may be uninhabitable because of toxic dust in not too many years.

Salton Sea toxic dust

If you think waste runoff isn't a problem, the hog confinements in Iowa are the on-going fight to keep nitrites out of the ground water.

http://archive.onearth.org/articles/2014/02/factory-farms-are-poisoning-iowa-water

Dude wrote a post, if you don't like it and you see that others already shared your "concern", why not let the thread discuss what he posted about instead of parroting what's already been said. You don't agree with the post? Fine. I disagree with posts on here, but if its already been brought up in thread and then beat to death, what's the point?

I have had posts deleted because I suggested that people "should PM each other their superior views". I don't understand why that is worse than calling people thieves and such is more acceptable than a raw good natured ribbing. Where are the mods on this? Maybe those posts are gone already, if so I apologise. I am not going to read thru them again so if I missed that they were censored, pardon me.

\hissyfit

hepcat said:
...If you think waste runoff isn't a problem..

Are you seriously putting words in my mouth? I never even suggested that. I lived in Iowa and KNOW not to eat the fish from rivers around there. That has to do with industrialized farming, not people poo'in in a hole. Don't say I suggested anything that isn't true. Its called a "strawman" argument. I'll repeat, quote me directly if you want, but don't suggest I advocate for polluting the land\water with some kind of insinuation.

Wabbit said:

cat holes are my prefered method,but hooking my black tank to one is farther then i would go or recommend

my one foot stems from the depth that my dog wont dig up my dead cat,kinda freaked out the sisters when he did

@Gary68-I agree mostly. Saying that, I bag and toss in dumpster. Everyone knows that plastic is worse than a poo in the ground. Just situational. When we get to places that are remote"ish" and just doing 2 weeks, I will use catholes instead of all the plastic. Plus, I kinda feel for the "divers" out there, I leave our recyclables(cans) on the outside of the dumpsters, but I know some diver somewhere has gotten a surprise.

Wabbit said:
Are you seriously putting words in my mouth? I never even suggested that. I lived in Iowa and KNOW not to eat the fish from rivers around there. That has to do with industrialized farming, not people poo'in in a hole. Don't say I suggested anything that isn't true. Its called a "strawman" argument. I'll repeat, quote me directly if you want, but don't suggest I advocate for polluting the land\water with some kind of insinuation.

Whoa... lighten up already.  No I wasn't putting words in your mouth there, Pastor. 

A "gopher hole" (or cat hole) or two in the wild isn't going to be an issue... and to say so or think it would be ridiculous nor did I suggest that.

That said... if every RV that camps in at Slab City dumps ALL of their waste for season after season in 'gopher holes' then yes, it's going to be a problem just like the hog confinements here.  That's what I said... it's all a matter of quantity and density.

hepcat said:
...No I wasn't putting words in your mouth there, Pastor...

Hmmm...I'll take that as a compliment. Saying that, you really shouldn't call people names. Thou art forgiven son... :cool:

Wabbit said:
Dude wrote a post, if you don't like it and you see that others already shared your "concern", why not let the thread discuss what he posted about instead of parroting what's already been said. You don't agree with the post? Fine. I disagree with posts on here, but if its already been brought up in thread and then beat to death, what's the point?

I have had posts deleted because I suggested that people "should PM each other their superior views". I don't understand why that is worse than calling people thieves and such is more acceptable than a raw good natured ribbing. Where are the mods on this? Maybe those posts are gone already, if so I apologise. I am not going to read thru them again so if I missed that they were censored, pardon me.

\hissyfit

In case you hadn't noticed, Jim wrote addressing my post specifically and I was responding to his reply.  I believe that's what's called 'communication' on a forum such as this.   

And actually I reported this thread to the mods on Jim's first post... so I presume it's been reviewed probably a couple of times.  As long as the discourse remains civil, and the mods agree that the subject matter is up for discussion, what's the issue?

@hepkit...why did you report the post on O.P first? Name calling and deceptive insinuation are not civil discourse. Maybe you see otherwise, your prerogative. Anyways, you reported the initial post?!? Why??? Lol.

Wabbit said:
@hepkit...why did you report the post on O.P first? Name calling and deceptive insinuation are not civil discourse. Maybe you see otherwise, your prerogative. Anyways, you reported the initial post?!? Why??? Lol.

Hmmm...  @hepkit? I presume you mean me?

I don't believe I've called anyone anything vulgar nor do I know what 'deceptive insinuation' is.  Perhaps you can enlighten me?

I reported the OP's original post as I think, as I said earlier, that the concept the OP espouses is unethical.  If the staff is ok with the discussion of the premise that he forwarded, then I am as well.

Yes I meant hepcat! Sorry about that*blushes*. As to enlightenment, I'm rocking AC\DC and cracked a beer @10am. You might want a better source for enlightenment... Have a great day! :cool:

Sadly, all this talk of "skipping out on debts" just reinforces the popular stereotype of van-dwellers as irresponsible broke homeless deadbeats.

It helps us not at all.

:(

Wabbit said:
Yes I meant hepcat! Sorry about that*blushes*. As to enlightenment, I'm rocking AC\DC and cracked a beer @10am. You might want a better source for enlightenment... Have a great day! :cool:

Party on, Garth!   :D

digging a cat hole for one time use is one thing, dumping your whole black tank down a hole is a whole different ball game and is illegal. BTW cat holes should be at least 6 inches. this thread it close to being closed. highdesertranger

this thread is closed. CRVL does not condone with dumping your black tank down post holes, gopher holes, or any other type of non approved "hole". I also believe the advice on how to ditch your debts and hide from your creditors to be irresponsible at best. highdesertranger

Status
Not open for further replies.