Extreme Low Budget -- No Running Vehicle -- RV Living

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JIM PETERSON

Reaction score
==========
I know this is a bit long; hoping you'll read it anyway. It is a response to something STEVE posted a while back but my response was far too long for a "comment" and so I've been sitting on it for a while  :)
==========
Steve wrote:
"But as far as me personally, if I had $650 left over after paying all my bills and was debt free I would be on the road right now and would live pretty well indeed. But unfortunately $650 is what I have BEFORE my bills would be paid and even with extreme frugality that would not be possible I don’t think for anyone to make it in the nomadic van lifestyle. Please prove me wrong on that."
==========
I see comments like this from time to time and occasionally I feel motivated to respond. But, invariably, my responses are too long for the typical comment format. Here is what I would say to Steve and anyone in a similar situation:
==========
I don't know what your bills consist of but *anyone* can become debt free overnight. It does require giving up your lifetime of indoctrination about what is moral, responsible, ethical, etc. But I'm still searching for the tombstone which brags, "He paid his bills on time." Because once you're gone, what will it matter if you did or you didn't? Who will care? When I finally got around to filing for my bankruptcy the relief was so immediate and so profound my only question was, "Why didn't I do this five years ago before it cost me a marriage and my business?" My monthly payments went down $1,250 -- no more phone calls from bill collectors -- no more sleepless nights, etc. But there's an even easier way -- just quit paying shistuff you no longer want to pay and disappear -- fall through the grid (aka "opting OUT"). I accidentally learned a neat trick for giving collector goons the slip = get a private mail box (not one at the post office) for a month and have all your mail forwarded from your last mailing address to that box. Then simply quit paying the rent on your mail box. These types of businesses are actually prohibited by law from forwarding your mail to anyone else (only the post office can legally do that). So -- typically -- they hold your mail for two weeks and then it (along with any future mail) is returned to sender -- no forwarding address -- end of problem. I lived this way for two years once -- no junk mail; no mail at all = blissful, wonderful, priceless, liberating. Who needs snail mail in this day and age anyway? I had no physical address either and there is always a way around this ridiculous requirement as well. For many years I used an old address where I had once lived in my truck camper in the driveway for a while but the landlord's house had since been torn down. One day I drove by and even the mailbox was gone. I still used the address anyway -- it was my 'official' physical address *and* it gave the goons something to type into the box on their stupid form. Clearly, the onus is then on you to stay on top of your vehicle registrations, insurance, etc. -- because you won't get any reminders -- yet another reason to *not* even have a vehicle for those on an extreme budget. It's also good to stay in contact with a family member or two -- make sure they have a good email address for you in case some family "emergency" pops up. If you have a paid-for smart phone, you can still use it for Email and dinking around online wherever there is free WiFi with no contract or monthly bill whatsoever = FREE. And you can use Skype to communicate with friends and family = also FREE.
==========
There are people living this life already on $600 a month -- some do it for closer to $300 a month -- but these extreme frugalists sit still all winter long (and all summer long) and never turn a wheel. When you don't have to buy fuel and pay for vehicle maintenance and repairs, that leaves more money for other things -- like food. You'll want to be close enough to a store to walk or ride a bike for your groceries but there are plenty of places in the western U.S. like that. (Or perhaps fall in with a group further out where someone in the group can give you a ride to town every week or so.) Here at The Slabs, the town of Niland is only four miles away. Many people walk it and those of us with vehicles give them rides all the time. One winter destination which Bob and many of us use is Ehrenberg, AZ. You can even camp on the AZ side (many more places to camp than on the CA side of the Colorado river) and walk or pedal to Blythe, CA for cheaper prices on food. If you're not paying rent and your utility costs are minimal, there is no cheaper way to live anywhere. Larger towns also have food banks once you get your thinking straightened out and quit tripping over your foolish pride. Any country which can afford to spend $600 billion (yes, that's with a B) a year on death and destruction (aka the U.S. military) can *easily* afford to have millions of us out here living below the radar. To the extent we don't require conventional jobs and are a minimal burden on the infrastructure wherever we might be, you can easily know you're doing the rest of the country and the economy a solid favor. With your MUCH smaller carbon footprint -- especially if you have no vehicle -- you'll be doing the planet a huge favor as well.
==========
During the summer months, you'll want to travel a short distance (say 250 miles or so) to a summer camp at higher elevation where it's much cooler -- again someplace within walking or pedaling distance to a grocery store. We're coming up on 17 months of living in our fifth wheel trailer fulltime and in all that time we've only spent $150 for a place to be -- every dollar of it discretionary -- $70 of it was our Christmas gift to each other to spend a week at Fountain of Youth RV Resort on a special promo offer for folks who had never been there before. We also drove 22,000 miles our first year -- absolutely *NOT* recommended for anyone like us on a budget! We learned the magic money card can be maxed out! OTOH, it's quite easy to live within your means if you're not driving around in circles all the time. There is one couple who alternate between a winter LTVA and a summer LTVA (higher altitude; eastern Sierras). They drive their motorhome a short distance to town every week or two as needed and put $20 worth of gas in the tank each trip. By the time winter is over, their tank is full and they have enough fuel to drive up to their summer camp = same thing there = accumulating fuel over the season to drive back down to their winter camp. They had their LTVA fees = approx. $30 a month in the winter -- maybe closer to $60 a month in the summer but these almost always include a place to dump your tanks and FREE water so it all kinda' works out even though that minimal fee (or budget item) is one we've avoided completely thus far. Depending on your location, you can (as we currently do) discharge your graywater into the adjacent vegetation and dump your toilet into a gopher hole (hand dug or otherwise). This saves the expense and hassle of having to move your rig to dump your tanks. A porta-potti is an even easier solution to the blackwater problem as it can be carried off to dump somewhere (just after sunset is my favorite time to do this = fewer witnesses) or emptied down any conventional public toilet or pit toilet. The options out here are endless and limited only by your imagination. The only big question is IF you are able to disconnect yourself from a lifetime of programming and supporting the dominant paradigm where the rich get richer and the rest of us are permitted to suck air. Free your mind and your butt will follow :) For someone on an extremely low budget, I don't believe that a vehicle (at least not one which runs) is necessary as long as it has a towbar. In these areas and fluid communities we now call home, you can always ask around and find someone willing to tow you just about anywhere for the cost of fuel and a few extra bucks or a six pack of cold beer. If I had to really keep it to the bone, I'd just have a simple and cheap bumper pull trailer of some kind and make friends with someone who can tow it back and forth between my various happy hunting grounds. Our neighbor Jerry across the street here at The Slabs bought a gutted (non-running) motorhome on round and rolling tires for $85. He and his wife built on a large front porch and enclosed it with shade cloth (cooler and keeps out what few bugs we have around here). Now they have a place to BE all winter long for FREE. (They are 'snowbirds' like us though not retired yet as we are -- he does asphalt work in South Dakota where they have a paid-for house until it gets too cold and they shut the hot plants down. Then they come down here and dink around for the winter months.) These options exist. The real question is, "Can you ratchet down your expectations enough to be comfortable and happy living this way?" There is no judgment if you can't but at least you should know the REAL reason WHY you're not living this way already if it's something you think you want to try. Don't blame circumstances beyond your control if you're not willing to change those few things which ARE within your control. I give this lifestyle two enthusiastic thumbs UP and my highest recommendation. I've never felt more FREE or had less stress in my 63 years. Lean into something a little outside your comfort zone and you will surprise yourself with how absolutely low cost and FREE your life can be :) My standard advice to everyone is, "Go cheap; go small; go NOW!" Tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us. LIVE while you can -- one day it will be too late -- and all your excuses and wringing of hands will be for naught. Better to try and have it not work out for some reason (which is how we all learn) than to never have tried at all.
==========
sail4free
==========

JIM PETERSON said:
==========
I know this is a bit long; hoping you'll read it anyway. It is a response to something STEVE posted a while back but my response was far too long for a "comment" and so I've been sitting on it for a while  :)
==========
 Here at The Slabs, the town of Niland is only four miles away. Many people walk it and those of us with vehicles give them rides all the time. 
<----snip---->
Depending on your location, you can (as we currently do) discharge your graywater into the adjacent vegetation and dump your toilet into a gopher hole (hand dug or otherwise).
By the Slabs, you are referring to Slab City?
About the Gopher hole, have you ever over flowed one? BTW, I'm sure the Gopher was less than impressed. :p 
I like your forwarding idea for bill collectors. A lot of this post gave me a good laugh, especially the poor Gopher.

Ballenxj said:
By the Slabs, you are referring to Slab City?
About the Gopher hole, have you ever over flowed one? BTW, I'm sure the Gopher was less than impressed. :p 
I like your forwarding idea for bill collectors. A lot of this post gave me a good laugh, especially the poor Gopher.
==========
Yup -- that's the place. We actually built a barn there this winter -- see link below for more details. Most of the 'slabbers' (those who live there year 'round) and even those (like us) who do winters only have "gopher holes". It's a hand-dug, square hole -- sized so that a used shipping pallet has about 6" of solid earth on all four sides to rest on. The hole is dug 2 or 3' deep and the pallet positioned over the hole. The standard dumping snake goes in between the two layers of the pallet so it isn't crushed. Then a tarp or piece of plastic is layed over everything and all the loose soil is piled on top. This creates a small mound so that when it rains, the rain water is diverted away from the gopher hole. Ideally, it's better to leave the black water valve closed and let that tank fill up somewhat -- letter' rip on occasion and then close the valve again. Otherwise solids tend to build up in the tank as the liquids drain away. It's okay to leave the graywater valve open 24/7 but we use that water to irrigate the nearby bushes so if we did have a legit gopher hole, it would last forever.
==========
I have yet to dig a legitimate "gopher hole" -- mine was more like a fence post hole -- but that works too. The one summer I lived for FREE in the woods near Sun River, OR all I had was a porta-potti. When it got full, I would pour it down a *real* gopher hole and that worked too  :) Those guys are always digging new holes so maybe he no longer lived there. If he did, he might be moving soon. Never have overflowed one. Here's the story about our barn:
http://sailingondryland.com/building-our-barn/

==========
sail4free
==========

Some people make a living screwing over others. Some financial hardships are of no fault of the debtor such as medical, but I think the vast majority arise out of selfish greed. One wants what they can not afford, and they are going to have it regardless of who gets cheated.

Another factor is what is your word worth? I have never been asked to loan money to someone who promised NOT to pay me back. I guess their self worth sells for a lot lower price than most.

Good idea on ducking out on the collection hounds, i also got a good laugh out of that! I have no love loss for any of the financial agencies, especially after the taxpayer bailouts of them. The Morals seem to go only one way in this country, as the rich wealthy banksters and financial debt buyers that they are associated with, have none.

if you are going to bury your feces you need at least one foot if not two feet of dirt on top

JIM PETERSON said:
==========
 it's better to leave the black water valve closed and let that tank fill up somewhat -- letter' rip on occasion and then close the valve again. Otherwise solids tend to build up in the tank as the liquids drain away. It's okay to leave the graywater valve open 24/7
This is exactly what I do so I don't end up building what's known in the RV world as a "Pyramid" in the black water tank. :p
So your gopher holes are really more like fence post holes? How deep do you dig them?
Finally, how does a person such as yourself that is from Idaho like staying in California? It would seem there are two distinctly different mentality's going on there.

NomadMike said:
Good idea on ducking out on the collection hounds, i also got a good laugh out of that! I have no love loss for any of the financial agencies, especially after the taxpayer bailouts of them. The Morals seem to go only one way in this country, as the rich wealthy banksters and financial debt buyers that they are associated with, have none.

It's weird how that all works out, eh? If you're trying to run a business and you end up with some asset which is more liability than anything -- something that will NEVER pay its own way . . . if you let that go back to the bank, the manufacturer, or whomever, THAT is considered a "good business decision". But in our personal affairs, we get burdened DOWN with all these superfluous considerations of morality, ethics, our good name and a truckLOAD of other nonsense which has absolutely no meaning in the here and NOW. 
==========
If I'm happy and feeling good about my life, that makes me an asset to the planet. I'm so light these days, the planet hardly even knows I'm here. If I let myself be burdened DOWN and compressed into an early grave just so some fat cat grabbing at the new hires with his grubby mitts can make a few million more during his contemptible life, who benefits from that except him? I'll not loose a second's sleep over the thousands of dollars in unsecured credit card debt that I walked away from. I did the math. They already got back every dollar they 'loaned' me and a whole bunch more. That's good enough for me. Maybe they'll be delayed a month or two on the purchase of their 2nd million-dollar yacht -- I couldn't possibly care less about those scumbags.

Just something I could never do. If I borrow money to finance something, I'm aware of the terms and in in accepting that credit I am in essence giving "my word" that I will pay it back. If I give "you" my word that I will do something for you, you can count on it. It's not about the money, favor or promise...it's about who I am.

BobBski said:
Just something I could never do.  If I borrow money to finance something, I'm aware of the terms and in in accepting that credit I am in essence giving "my word" that I will pay it back.  If I give "you" my word that I will do something for you, you can count on it.  It's not about the money, favor or promise...it's about who I am.

I think we have to make a distinction between doing business with each other as individuals and doing business with international conglomerates who owe no allegiance to any particular country anymore -- a million times less loyalty to any one of us. I suppose you can hold them in high regard if you want but, trust me, they don't give a spit about you. In my case, as I mentioned, I payed back every dollar . . . and a whole bunch more. They're not out anything for having trusted me. It's true -- they didn't get the outrageous interest they were planning on -- too bad. I'm quite certain I'm not taking food out of anyone's mouth by putting my sanity and mental/physical health first.

Gary68 said:
if you are going to bury your feces you need at least one foot if not two feet of dirt on top

I think you can find a lot of different views on that. The one I subscribe to says that ALL natural sewage "treatment" occurs in the top 12 to 16" of soil -- anything deeper than that is sewage disposal *not* treatment. Which is to say that 12" of soil cover should be plenty.

Ballenxj said:
This is exactly what I do so I don't end up building what's known in the RV world as a "Pyramid" in the black water tank. :p
So your gopher holes .are really more like fence post holes? How deep do you dig them?
Finally, how does a person such as yourself that is from Idaho like staying in California? It would seem there are two distinctly different mentality's going on there.

==========
I just dig until it's not fun anymore :)
If the BW tank is full, it usually requires two or three after-dark 'dumps' to empty the tank . . . and then we're good for another month or so. I doubt the typical mentality at The Slabs is anything close to what southern Cali is known for but we have made good friends there -- and they welcome us back like rock stars every time we go . . . and we're not particularly outgoing in person (my wife even less so than I . . . who for most of his life was considered the lone wolf :)
==========
I have long LOVED southern Cali -- lived in Long Beach and San Pedro when I was finishing junior high and a bit of HS. After my crew & I stole a few cars and finally got caught (I was the youngest of 13 of us *and* the last one identified), my Dad thought it would be a great idea for me to go and live with my Grandpa on his 832.5 acre ranch in Idaho. The nearest town (Cascade) was 17 miles away and I was the first kid on the bus in the morning; last one off -- talk about culture shock! It seems to me that people aren't really that much different no matter where you go. I tend to mind my own business and not get too involved with my neighbors. Over time, we sometimes learn we have a few things in common -- usually they approach me first. Others turn out to be jerks and we just keep our distance -- we'll both live longer that way :)

JIM PETERSON said:
I don't know what your bills consist of but *anyone* can become debt free overnight. It does require giving up your lifetime of indoctrination about what is moral, responsible, ethical, etc. 

There are SO many things wrong in and with society... but when something so dishonest and damaging is suggested as being a 'solution' 
I'm compelled to speak up.

It's called integrity and its the only thing you truly own.  Once you've given that away, you have nothing.  Your way is not the way anyone with integrity takes.  People who steal from others live that way, and it's not a life, it's an existance.  The way you're living is called 'being on the run.'  You've convinced yourself that you're a victim.  You're not.  You're just un-trustworthy.

Who IS a victim?  Who have you hurt?  Yourself.  Your self-respect. Your family.  Your friends.  And yes, those to whom you owe a debt.  It's unfortunate that you feel so little for anyone else.  

I feel sorry for you, but I feel more sorry for those you have victimized.

It's stealing plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JIM PETERSON said:
I think we have to make a distinction between doing business with each other as individuals and doing business with international conglomerates who owe no allegiance to any particular country anymore -- a million times less loyalty to any one of us. I suppose you can hold them in high regard if you want but, trust me, they don't give a spit about you. In my case, as I mentioned, I payed back every dollar . . . and a whole bunch more. They're not out anything for having trusted me. It's true -- they didn't get the outrageous interest they were planning on -- too bad. I'm quite certain I'm not taking food out of anyone's mouth by putting my sanity and mental/physical health first.

You did not pay back what you agreed to. You rationalized why the rest of society should have to make up for the losses that you caused those that trusted you. All losses are made up somewhere. Higher fees to those who do keep their word. Nobody forced you to make those purchases. 

Thieves steal and liars lie. If I see someone do others wrong it is only opportunity that prevents them from doing me as well. Saying that causing harm to others keeps you sane seems to be having the opposite effect.

and please mark your shallow cesspool so myself or others dont step in it

Its a DAWG pile!!! Lol.

Would love to join in, but I been reading a bible that keeps me kinda grounded...

@Jim-brave post, hope to meet your unpretentious butt someday! :cool: Take care!

hepcat said:
There are SO many things wrong in and with society... but when something so dishonest and damaging is suggested as being a 'solution' 
I'm compelled to speak up.

It's called integrity and its the only thing you truly own.  Once you've given that away, you have nothing.  Your way is not the way anyone with integrity takes.  People who steal from others live that way, and it's not a life, it's an existance.  The way you're living is called 'being on the run.'  You've convinced yourself that you're a victim.  You're not.  You're just un-trustworthy.

Who IS a victim?  Who have you hurt?  Yourself.  Your self-respect. Your family.  Your friends.  And yes, those to whom you owe a debt.  It's unfortunate that you feel so little for anyone else.  

I feel sorry for you, but I feel more sorry for those you have victimized.

There's a reason we no longer have debter's prisons in this country -- also a reason why options like bankruptcy exist -- to keep people from jumping off bridges when they find themselves overwhelmed by debt. Do not those who offer unsecured credit with high limits to college students and young people without jobs deserve *some* of the blame? I've been retired for 17 months with drastically reduced income . . . and yet we are inundated (every month!) with pre-approved loan and credit card offers. Surely these predatory lenders deserve to get spanked far more often than they do.
==========
You write as if these options don't exist -- as if you'd just as soon someone in financial trouble jump off that bridge! I suffered for years with overwhelming debt and it cost me a long-term marriage *and* a business that I loved. After that, I lived debt free for decades -- learned to be grateful when an application for credit would be declined as it reminded me of my commitment to live within my means and never use credit for anything again. I've learned my lesson and all those scammers got every one of their dimes back and a whole lot more. To me, integrity means being true to yourself regardless of what others think. I'm not on the run and I surely no longer consider myself a victim. That is what I *WAS* when I allowed the opinions of others to matter more in my one and only precious life than what I thought. At this late stage of my life, I have evicted everyone from my control room and welded the door shut. It's me at the controls now -- nobody else is allowed to get near them.
==========
I feel sorry for those who give far too much value to the opinions of others instead of declaring their personal freedom from all that nonsense and acting on it.

DannyB1954 said:
You did not pay back what you agreed to. You rationalized why the rest of society should have to make up for the losses that you caused those that trusted you. All losses are made up somewhere. Higher fees to those who do keep their word. Nobody forced you to make those purchases. 

Thieves steal and liars lie. If I see someone do others wrong it is only opportunity that prevents them from doing me as well. Saying that causing harm to others keeps you sane seems to be having the opposite effect.

So if someone gets in over their head and can NOT pay what they owe, what are they supposed to do that would be honorable in your humble opinion? In Idaho, the demographic with the fastest increasing rate of suicide are seniors. They've taken all this pride their whole lives in paying their bills on time and they can see they'll never live long enough to pay their rapidly increasing medical bills (even if they never get sick again . . . and they know they will) so they punch out. Method of choice? Alcohol poisoning. Down a fifth quick enough and it's lights out. (It's the preferred method because it's very difficult to prove that it was not an accident -- even for a regular drinker -- and thus life insurance proceeds still go to their spouse.) Of course, nobody talks about this -- do they? (My nephew works in Vital Statistics for the State of Idaho and that is how I know this . . . you won't be seeing it on Faux News any time soon.)

Gary68 said:
and please mark your shallow cesspool so myself or others dont step in it

Nothing quite as gratifying as making a problem where one doesn't exist, eh? It's not a cesspool. It's more like a fence post hole. By morning, ALL the liquids have seeped into the ground. And then the hole is filled in with dry earth. You'll never see or know where it was. Which is kinda' the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.