Need a Tank fittings guide

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I'm ready to place order for both Fresh and Grey water tanks from Plasticmart. 

35g Grey Tank

50g Fresh Tank

From all indications, those products are well suited for fresh water supply?

So then come the fittings...there's a .pdf you download, mark up, and submit: Fittings .pdf  ...if you want to have them installed. I'm thinking why not, not like I've ever done it before...perhaps the cost will change my mind, but it seems like a reasonable outfit.

I could certainly use a guide for best locations for fill, vent, drain and...well, drain I guess. Oh, and makes sense to get a level indicator device...and suggestions?

well you want your fill and vent at the top and the feed and drain at the bottom. sorry I couldn't help myself. it really depends on the mounting location. I would make mock ups out of card board and try to fit them where you want to mount the tanks then go from there. a note on your fill you want the outside fill up as high as possible and as straight as shot to the tank as possible. the higher and straighter the faster you can fill. if your fill is level or has 90's it will make it painfully slow to fill. highdesertranger

I did mine last night , I  drilled a hole with a step bit , for the bigger hole I traced the part with a sharpee  , drilled a small starter hole and then with a jigsaw and metal cutting blade I very slowly cut along the line of the sharpee , looked like a hole saw was used and cut extremely easy. 

I glued the pieces in with The Amazing goop (plumbers)
That gold connector is my feed line ( has a screen inside it ) and it has a clear tube running down to the bottom of the tank , its recommended to run your feed line from the bottom of the tank but I didn't want no potential leaks at the bottom and I've never had a problem with pumps pumping uphill or going bad.
I just need a vent now , I'm going to vent it by simply drilling about a nickel size hole in the top of the tank and pressing a clear tube into the hole about a inch down (friction fit) plus all add some glue and also glue in place a 90degree bracket to make the vent hose from moving side to side.
I'm not going to have a drain , I'll pump it out if need be , again I don't want the potential for leaks.
I still need to add a mounting bracket (painted iron angle)  that goes from the floor to the ceiling to hold the tank in place and I will probably add a fill hose.

Well that all looks simple enough...drill holes and glue in standard plumbing fittings. I should just order the blanks so I don't have to commit to placements yet...

The only water tank fill hose kit I could find was only 1.25 inch , maybe thats the standard size for rv tanks .
The fitting I have glued into my tank is about 2.5 inch and I'll use that to fill from
 indoors with a wide mouth funnel  , I need to buy  a hose kit  to fill from outdoors.

Mines done , to fill the tank I'm just going to run the hose to the inside of the van and stick it thru the top of the tank , I'll stand outside while its filling and I'll have a good view to see when its getting full so I can shut the water off in time so it doesn't overflow , I'll have a little bungee holding the hose to the top of that iron angle to help hold the hose in place so the water pressure doesn't make the hose pop out while filling.

hint for filling your tanks.
1. always have your own hose. do not use the hose at the bib.
2. make sure your hose it a potable water hose. not a regular garden hose.
3. keep your hose clean. submerge your hose in a bleach solution every so often.
4. always keep the 2 ends screwed together when not in use. empty your hose of water before storing.
5. a special storage bag for your hose is advisable.
6. always flush your hose for a few seconds before filling your tank.
hope this helps. highdesertranger