Do you have tank envy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have one you recomend? I hate spending money and finding out I bought junk

Queen said:
... I think I'd prefer no tanks or fussing, just not a fan, and I prefer simplicity.

Amen, Queen!

I'm already thinking/planning ahead on going as tank/plumbing free as possible.  Months ago I read up on the C-Head compost toilet, watched the video, & decided for me that's the way to go. 

In the galley I can manage beautifully with 2 gallon jugs with spigots.  Later, I'll figure out what to do for an indoor shower...

Also, I'm 'gonna ditch the built in fridge when it goes, use it for pantry space, & get a 12 volt solar powered chest fridge. 

Charlotte's Web

I've had my eye on a truck camper with no grey or black tanks for when I retire and travel. I've waffled back and forth between that and travel trailer (Scamp or Casita), or a Class B. One of the big sticking points was the tank issue. Well I'm waffling no more. I'll forgo the tanks and get a porta-potti or bucket. The sink drains to an outside container so I can wash hair, brush teeth, do dishes, take sponge baths, etc. and dump the small amount of gray water afterwards. My only two "must haves" are a comfortable bed and an air conditioner, so if it's hot enough to have to go hook up so I can run the A/C, I'll be near showers and restrooms as well. No tanks for me!

jimindenver said:
Brad

I am sure there is something to add to the grey tank if nothing more than what is used in the black. Some of those smell so bad to me that it's just better to keep it clean. Some just make it smell like perfumed poop. In any event if it is something someone thinks you will spend money on, I'm sure it's out there.

I have heard of devices in the tanks and how they can be a hassle to winterize.

I put a bit of the blue stuff in the grey tank. I found that the grey was much more offensive smelling than the black tank by far. It works. I just never dump my grey on the ground.

As for "the panel" you eventually get a feel for where everything is. We know how long the two of us can stay out and how many showers we can take. I much prefer using a china bowl toilet all weekend and dumping the tanks on the way home to dropping a deuce anywhere other than said bowl.

Your mileage may vary.

653da83e-3fe1-447c-8988-6c90883b7cc3_400_compressed.jpg

Dr-Kelvin-DRM2-Toilet-chair-SDL452096699-1-98a1e.jpg

I have nothing against going tankless. but keep in mind some areas require them and the list is only going to grow in the future. might want to think about that before ripping tanks out. highdesertranger

I know my black tank needs dumping when it gurgles, and dump grey at the same time, so far so good
I know my fresh tank is empty when the pump won't shut off lol
Thanks for the link, DuneElliot