My Path to (No)Madness!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason, I thought these would be covered in a thick-ish glass?
39161637580_10c011b9e4_z.jpg

It doesn't take 'thickish' to protect!

Not sure of the coating on yours but I found out that my Renogy panels are covered with tempered glass...it's thin enough that I didn't identify it myself.

If you're in doubt, contact the tech support for the manufacturer and ask what the coating is...it's not usually one of the things on the spec sheets for some reason.

This is in the description from that Amazon page:

"Anti-reflective, high transparency, low iron-tempered glass with enhanced stiffness and impact resistance."

tx2sturgis said:
"Anti-reflective, high transparency, low iron-tempered glass with enhanced stiffness and impact resistance."

Well, it doesn't look like the description to me.  I'm with you, T2S, it looks like flexible panels put into an aluminum frame.  They're heavy like glass ... ??  They come with a 5 year warranty ... I can return them if they fail.

Almost There said:
It doesn't take 'thickish' to protect!

Not sure of the coating on yours but I found out that my Renogy panels are covered with tempered glass...it's thin enough that I didn't identify it myself.

If you're in doubt, contact the tech support for the manufacturer and ask what the coating is...it's not usually one of the things on the spec sheets for some reason.

These are Renogy 3RNG-100D ... doesn't look like glass to me.  I'm not concerned ... maybe naive ... ??

John61CT said:
Hail resistance specs should be available.

Did a quick Google search using the model number [RNG-100D], didn't find any specific mention other than "impact resistant."  But, I'm not going to worry about it.  Seems like Renogy has a good reputation.  If I have issues I'll call them.  Thanks, John!  :)

First day of good weather in a while ... made a lot of headway! Pod 2 is almost done. Solar roof racks are next. Batteries came today ... waiting on cables and lugs. After the solar goes up, it will be mostly interior work and a little fine finishing if time allows. If we get 99% functional and just have some spit and polish to do, that'll be good enough for me to start the trek up to Idaho with enough time to enjoy the trip! :D

John61CT said:
Did you check the fine print?

Warranty for 20 years on output, 5 years on materials and craftsmanship in the bullet list.  I'm too old to read fine print ... that's why they use it!  :)

If you can smoothly drag a fingernail across the surface, it's probably glass....if your fingernail 'catches'....it's something else.

Or try tapping a coin on it...does it make a sharp 'tink', or more like a 'thud'....

tx2sturgis said:
If you can smoothly drag a fingernail across the surface, it's probably glass....
I dunno, dude ... don't think it's glass.  I'm wondering if this is a new design using the flex panels.  In the end, if I hook them up and I get power ... I don't care if they're made of Legos!  Can I say that here?  Legos?  Do I need to put an "R" next to it? :D