My Path to (No)Madness!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NoMadYesHappy said:
Hmmm ... I'm wondering if I am making things too rigid by gluing and screwing all of the joints together ... maybe I should leave things more flexible ... ?  

No, in fact, as you add pieces and parts, cabinets and brackets and such, you are probably increasing the torsional strength of the whole trailer.

Just keep in mind that it will always flex a bit as it goes down the road.

NoMadYesHappy said:
HDR ...
Here's a link to ALL of the photos I've posted in CheapRVLiving.com, and a good deal more that I've not posted ... 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nomadyeshappy/
Not quite as informative as the videos, but better then nuthin ... :)

...and, there are photos of some trees that are growing up on the hill behind my dad's house.  I hiked up with the dogs a couple of days ago to capture a few frames of these trees.  They've been here since I was a kid.  The local forest rangers used to deny that they are what we think they are, "...those don't grow here..." until they saw them for themselves. There are more shots on the Flickr stream linked above and again under my signature.  Do you know what variety they are?  :)
40033584845_d37028d63b_z.jpg

Some (almost all) of the solar components are here.  Got the inverter and panels yesterday ...
Waiting on batteries and miscellaneous hardware.
40899622632_8fc581ae61_z.jpg

39131863100_455f801f31_z.jpg

No idea on the trees but will be interesting to hear. These pods your making I’m looking forward to seeing exactly how they turn out. I am not sure exactly where your going with them and if they will be sheltered and if so with what and all that. Very interesting stuff. Also will you be entering the pod from the inside of the trailer or are they outside accessible only. No need to answer these questions I’m just mentioning what I’m looking forward to seeing here watching the build. Are you sure there isn’t a way to get your tags done via mail so your not rushed with the build??

ratfink56 said:
Redwoods?

Yes! Same family [Cupressaceae] as Redwoods, but specifically in the [sole surviving] genus and species known as Sequoia giganteum.
Here's the Wikipedia post if you're interested:

• Sequoiadendron giganteum - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoiadendron_giganteum
    "Sequoiadendron giganteum is the sole living species in the genus Sequoiadendron, and one of three species of coniferous trees known as redwoods, classified in the family Cupressaceae in the subfamily Sequoioideae, together with Sequoia sempervirens (coast redwood) and Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn ..."
Okay, while fun, a little off topic ... sort of. :)
Heading out to work on the cabinets while it rains cats and dogs outside.  :)

Jaketheone46 said:
...No idea on the trees but will be interesting to hear.
...will be sheltered
...will you be entering the pod from the inside of the trailer or are they outside accessible only
...No need to answer these questions
...Are you sure there isn’t a way to get your tags done via mail so your not rushed with the build??

Answer posted above ... :)
I'm still figuring things out as I go, but the plan now is, yes, they will have hard, insulated walls that stow for travel and bolt in place while camped.
Again, a work in progress design wise, but both inside and outside access.
Sorry .. I can't NOT answer .. I'm in counselling though!  :D
Hmmm ... hadn't thought of that.  Maybe?  But, I also need to get my drivers license and other residence stuff landed.  Besides, I am ANXIOUS to travel!  :)

NoMadYesHappy said:
I'm still figuring things out as I go, but the plan now is, yes, they will have hard, insulated walls that stow for travel and bolt in place while camped.

Have you considered heavy canvas sides?

With a steel cable or nylon strap to bear the weight of the platform when folded out?

You could use snaps or hooks or velcro to secure the canvas all the way around the platforms and up the side walls. 

Treated waterproof canvas might be lighter, easier to pack, and easier to set up, and might even be more weatherproof.

I'm just sayin...

:cool:

tx2sturgis said:
Have you considered heavy canvas sides?
I'm just sayin...

:cool:

Aye, repeatedly and recently.  ...and I haven't ruled canvas out for all the reasons you cite.  But, I feel like I've done a lot of insulation inside the trailer, and NOT insulating the pods just seems to render all that work moot.  ...and, my daughter feels more secure with hard walls around her when sleeping.  
Dude, I listen to EVERYTHING you say ... and everyone else in this forum ... with the accumulated experience contained here, I'd be stoopid not to ... that is not to say I ain't stoopid ... just sayin'  :D