My Path to (No)Madness!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NoMadYesHappy said:
.. and I got Pod 2 painted.  I'll show it on the next vid ... :)

40997241841_64d01535f8_z.jpg

Nice weather, and progress on the 6 X 12 cargo trailer, continues ...
#0044: Like Icarus to the Sun" - 2018 March 26, Monday

4 minutes and 12 seconds :)

tx2sturgis said:
Whazzat up there? You building a loft pod on it also?

Oooo ... roof pod!  LOL!
No, Bruh ... I just wanted some place to store the pod walls, the roof under the solar panels seemed like a good option.  I've seen rigs with panels mounted high up, but I'd welcome any and all opinions that might suggest that I have lost my mind .. :D

Would it be too presumptuous to suggest a rack on the back door (outside) to hold the pod wall sections? You could balance that weight by moving some interior weight forward. 

Keeping the roof more streamlined: air resistance and structural integrity is something to consider, along with the tendency for top-mounted loads to add to the instability when rounding curves. You really want to keep weight below, or near, the center of gravity.

tx2sturgis said:
Would it be too presumptuous to suggest a rack on the back door (outside)...
They will fit inside the trailer if need be.  The whole notion of using the exterior of the trailer to increase space just got carried away to the roof as well.  The back door would be a better option,  and it could double as the support to keep the ramp level for our "patio" ... thanks for the input!  :)

Also, consider hanging the pod panels inside the rear door.

The rear ramp door has a strong steel framework around it, and the ramp door is steel also, so it should be sturdy enough to handle a couple hundred pounds back there, if the mounts are all secured correctly. You'd probably want to remove all the pieces before you open or try to close that door! (the torsion spring can be adjusted but you need to know what you are doing, or have it done by a pro)

But if you hang a couple hundred pounds anywhere on the outside of the trailer it will affect handling and balance. Just be sure to offset that weight on the rear...be sure to do some measuring and weighing and get it all in balance. 

I think a genset, propane tank and spare tire, or a water tank, or combination of these heavy items, mounted forward, would balance the weight, but of course, don't go TOO heavy on the tongue weight.

tx2sturgis said:
Also, consider hanging the pod panels inside the rear door....
Yah, I've already experienced some balance challenges so that is high up on my radar ... thanks for reminding me nonetheless.  :)
The goal in the pod wall fabrication is to stay light ... if they end up weighing more than 50 pounds I'd be shocked, and they will only be about 1.25 inches in thickness ... at least that's the plan.  4 panels per pod, that is only about 10 inches in total.  So, storing them should not be an issue.
I just temporarily lost focus and got carried away with the whole external storage option ... I'm all better now ... for the moment!  :)
Thanks for the input!  ... don't stop!  :)

Ok...I had assumed they might be made of framed plywood or paneling, with attachment hardware, or some such...no matter...if you keep them light enough then you have more options for how to carry them.