My Path to (No)Madness!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, y'all!

Yep, I'm still in the "transformer" cargo trailer, but I've removed the tilt-outs. My daughter decided to go back to school about 6 months in, so I didn't need the extra weight / space. I now have two very welcome windows instead. I grow basil and a philodendron in them ... nice and homey! :D

I'm still in Quartzsite at the moment. Met Cam and some others at YARC ... Trippin' Tommy ... lots of nice folks out here! :)

I'm here until the official end of season on the 15th ... got some mail coming ... assuming the "folks" at USPS don't send it back. Argh ... !

Then, I'm off to New Mexico to look at another parcel of land...maybe camp for a couple days to a couple weeks depending on weather. Then, more north to Blanca Peak and Pawnee National Grasslands to visit my daughters and grandson.

Thanks for the campsite offer, Mate! I've met a few folks out on the road with land and it's comforting to know I've got some options! :D

Loving the heck out of this!

db
~

Camped at my turn-a-round point in north Idaho. Leaving for points south tomorrow morning. I'm half way through my fourth year on the road ... seems like it's been much shorter! ✌️?

Sure sounds like a neat time...4 years...holy heck...I remember looking at the build pics thinking....that will NEVER work...but it DID work!

Yeah and if you do pass thru this area without stopping, I will hunt you down!

:D

@ tx2sturgis: I know! It's gone really fast! Still feels fresh. There have been changes, upgrades, yada yada ... but all in all it turned out to be a great solution! I've had Texas on my list of destinations since the beginning ... gulf coast on Padre or maybe Matagorda ... just hasn't worked out that way. But, count on it! If I get there, I'll be sure to holla at ya! ✌️?

Here is a link to my Flickr stream with the most recent pics of my cargo trailer. Since my daughter went back to school and stopped traveling with me, I no longer needed the extra space (and weight) so I've removed the sleeping pods and put windows in where the pass throughs to the pods existed. The bed is now semi-permanent, meaning it stays in place but can be removed for cleaning or other work. I've also added a "kitchen" counter, spice rack and a drawer as well as shelves in the bathroom area. All in all, it's a great improvement and has worked really well in the last three and a half or so years!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nomadyeshappy

Peace!
db
~

Wow! Very 'homey' looking....I remember you had some kind of small SUV, looks like you upgraded the tow vehicle...I'm sure the Suburban handles the trailer with 'authority'...which is good!

I might ask tho...it looks like the trailer could use a lift kit and does it have brakes?

Those are a couple of worthy upgrades to think about.

If you do meander this way, September and October are reasonable...and don't forget Lake Meredith (NE of Amarillo) has free camping for up to 2 weeks and they have free water and showers...but later into November and December it's just getting too cold for most forms of 'camping' here in the Texas Panhandle, unless you like blustery days and frosty nights....

Looks good, keep us posted!

Thanks! It feels like home!

Aye, Hyundai Santa Fe at launch. While adequate, probably not a viable long term solution. The Tahoe is an older one, but a significant improvement over the Hyundai. I had a 1970 GMC van for about a year ... old rust bucket but for $500 it lasted about a year and towed almost as well as the Tahoe!

Yah, the trailer sits pretty low for the camps I meander to and lifting it has been a thought for some time. But, all in all, it's gone everywhere I've attempted ... couple scrapes here and there. I just take it snail slow and try to pick my way through. So far, so good!

No electric brakes. The total weight is about 3000 pounds, and I've made some pretty intense stops without issue. I'm sure brakes would be safer, tho.

I bought property in central New Mexico (Veguita) and may slow my travels until gas prices come down and Covid falls off of the radar a bit ... might build a small, fixed dwelling while I'm there. No building codes! ?

Peace
db
~ ✌️?

Cool build, very nice. And WC in the nose makes good use of that space. Is that a wet room also, or do you shower outside?
-crofter

I'm quite familiar with that area....one of my old stomping grounds...lots of days and nights in NM for many decades. I operated in 'dual-domicile' mode for about 10 years or so, hauling loads out of Plainview TX AND Los Lunas NM...Back then the area around Belen and Los Lunas was very rural but things have gotten a lot more crowded and 'urban' in all the rio communities. You are in a good place though...I do like that area. 

And you are not too far from Spaceport NM near TorC and Hatch. I may end up over there for gawking at the space planes one of these days...

Maybe our paths will cross during the great western 'migration' towards Quartzsite in January. You never know!

@tx2...

I think I'm going to like it there ... and it's nice to have a fall-back position in the event we end up on lock down again. Rumors of BLM and NF closures last year spooked me a bit.

It ain't purdy, but if you need a way point on your travels, we can dust off a patch for you to kip on the way! ✌️?