My intro and a few questions on safety and security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityWoman

Reaction score
Hello, all!  
I have been reading articles on this site for about the last month but have not checked out the forum until today.  As my username implies, I currently am a city dweller.  I live on the East Coast and have only recently begun considering a nomad's life as something I might enjoy.  There are many challenges I would have to meet in order to make it happen, but those are for another post (or two).  

I've been reading many blogs on nomadding to gather info, as well as some online magazines.  I am very certain that I would only be comfortable in a smaller option for a vehicle to live and travel in.  I cannot imagine myself in a huge RV, nor pulling a trailer, but I can envision driving and living in a van that isn't super long, a minivan that isn't too small, or a smallish truck camper (maybe).  Out of all of those, a van would be my first choice.

Maneuverability and stealth are two factors that color my preferences.  I'm not solely interested in camping in the wilderness (although I would like to do as much of that as possible); I also want to visit towns and cities, and would have to stop periodically to work here and there.

My most pressing questions at the moment have to do with: 
  • how one carries cash safely while traveling; 
  • personal/physical safety, as a woman traveling alone;
  • how to secure your vehicle and possessions (incl. cash?!) and not be a nervous wreck when you have to go off and do something with everything you own and need for survival parked where you can't keep an eye on it; and 
  • what you do if your vehicle needs servicing that requires an overnight at a garage/service center.  
All feedback on these issues would be greatly appreciated!  Please know I am completely inexperienced in all of this.  I know there are no guarantees in life, but I think that if I could not feel confident and as safe as possible regarding whatever precautions I would need to use, then I just could not live the nomad life!

Glad to be here - thanks in advance for your insights!

My 2 cents, I have a Ford E250 cago van formally owned by Sear HVAC. Well maintained and not driven by a lot of strangers such as Uhaul. It came with the steel reinforced partition to protect their tools and equipment which means I can lock it up while I'm away. It also had the steel tool shelving that I use for storage which will last my lifetime and never rot or warp like wood. It saved me a ton of manhours and cash from the installation and not having to drill through steel to secure it.

Other factors for my choice was that Uhaul willl only rent auto transport trailers to full sized trucks and vans. E250s pass but I didnt want to anything larger to drink up fuel. The E250s ground clearance is comparable to most p/u trucks and lastly repair parts are very cheap and easy to find

As a trucker I know finding parking is getting more expensive or impossible for large vehicles every year. So stealth parking was important especially when at events such as the the Mardi Gras for example. Hope this helps

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

ATrucker2  makes some good points about purchasing an already fitted out for "Service" Van.   Yes there may be a full partition with walk thru door directly behind the front seats which has small holes for ventilation and allow you to see out the front windshield.   The shelves for tools and materials already installed could be nice to have in place when you purchase.    Check your "domicile State" for Laws governing 3/4 Ton and 1 Ton Vans and Pick up Trucks.   In Ohio where I live a 1 Ton Van or PuT is considered a commercial vehicle and license plates are $60 a year.  (but if you call it a House Vehicle it is $50....but you are required to have a permanently installed bed, kitchenette with cook top and basin which can contain water...although it doesn't have to be plumbed to the outside) 

If you can't find a Van already set up like ATrucker2 is telling you about....find one with actual low mileage that may be old enough for the company's accountants to have written it off the books (5 years old or maybe less).  The better mechanical condition it is in.....the more dependable for you.   Thus you won't be broken down and have to stay in a motel or campground in a pup tent.  This is what puts so many women off that have no experience with the outdoors or camping. 

To fix up a Van like ATrucker2 describes,  American Van com sells all kinds of that stuff that's been mentioned:

http://www.americanvan.com/?utm_sou...utm_adgroup=&gclid=CLC-3OTFmdECFdi1wAodjqILew

There are some banks you can set up that are in many States and with that set yourself up a PayPal account where you could wire yourself money if you needed.  (not sure of all the details of that)    Travelers Checks ?  I haven't used them for some time,  but I could buy them at face value at my Credit Union or AAA where I have an account. 

Female safety especially after dark,   many girls on college campus wear Army field jackets and base ball hats.
With blue jeans and "guys" boots....they can appear as Male from a distance.   You just don't need the make up or ear rings etc that would give your gender away.   So by dressing "down" you may not attract trouble
to yourself.   But I strongly suggest every traveler travel clean in appearance.   If a woman wears her hair shorter she may be less tempting to sources of trouble.    But this is about travel and seeing the country so glamor looks would be secondary by common sense.

I would suggest keeping a vehicle maintenance log book as part of the vehicle.  Oil Change/lubrication intervals,  brake inspections,  battery/starter/alternator inspections,  cooling system inspections, lights and signal inspections,  windshield wiper annual replacement,  exhaust inspection annual.   Some things should be done as preventative maintenance such as spark plugs and ignition wire cables etc.  As these wear and become less efficient the loss of fuel (in $ value) would have paid for a tune up's cost.  Also an ignition system that has lost it's efficiency may translate into the dilution of the motor oil with that unburnt fuel,  leaving your engine vulnerable to premature wear.  Just because....."it still goes".....doesn't mean it is going as healthy as it was designed to....go,  and will live as many dependable years as it was intended to.  

I'd welcome you to look through my two websites below for whatever ideas you can use.  The bottom site is for assisting those getting ready to go on the road or who are already out there.   It's designed to be a handy aid,  all in one place. 

Good luck and all the best ! ;)

Welcome CityWoman to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Answering your 'bullet point questions

One carries cash safely by keeping t on their person and not flashing it. I typically keep about $125 or less on me, and that's sufficient for most purposes

Personal/ physical safety: Contrary to the story you've been sold, men are the victims of violent crime at 5x the rate women are, so even most of the dregs of our society tend to less willing to harm women, you're safer than most men
Still, ignoring danger is dumb, arm yourself with whatever you are POSITIVE you could use on another human being, if you were in danger, and learn it's use, as well as some basic self defense (most cities have free self defense courses for women, or they used to) but keep in mind that a lot of what you've been sold re women's safety is fear mongering and hysteria

Lock the vehicle, keep your cash on your person, and keep the value of stuff in it as low as possible, as well as the vehicle itself, a minivan, for example is, I believe, one of the least stolen vehicles there is. Keep valuable OUT OF SIGHT from outside, folks are less likely to steal what they can't see
What do you do with your car and it's contents while at work now? has your car or it's contents disappeared? see how well that works?

if my vehicle needed overnight at a shop, i'd likely couch surf, there's actually a site for that
https://www.couchsurfing.com/ or even sleep outdoors, if the weather permitted it

Welcome to the forum!

Is there a reason you plan on traveling with a large amount of cash? You can get a bank acct from a national bank, such as Bank of America and thus not have to rely on keeping all your money on you or in your vehicle. I know some people aren't comfortable with out a large amount of cash on hand. My grandmother was one of them. She'd leave 10k in cash in her condo at all times. I think that was from living through the Great Depression though. But if you want to travel with a lot of cash, I'd suggest getting a strong box, permanently mounted somewhere inside the vehicle, by either bolting it or welding it down in a spot not readily visible. You could also keep important documents in it such as birth certificate and passport.

As far as safety is concerned, you live in a city now so anything you already do to protect yourself should be all you need on the road. I'm always constantly surprised at the general conception people have of the outside world. It's not even remotely near as dangerous as the TV would lead you to believe. I always tell people this......you've lived somewhere all your life.....is this area dangerous and scary to you? The answer is always no. Well the entire country is just a huge area comprised of these same types of places. The United States is a VERY safe country. Outside of general precautions and being familiar with your surroundings you should do quite well.

Securing your vehicle when you're not in it is the same as you do now. Lock all the doors, close the windows and if you're in an urban area, try and park it where it's visible to the general public. Thieves are less likely to break in if they think others are watching. If they look in your windows and can't see anything worth taking, they'll move on to the next. Keep laptop, cell phone, GPS out of plain sight. Household items like blankets and pans are of no value to car thieves. They want something they can turn into quick cash.

If it needs repairs while you're living in it, it helps to carry a tent or have enough in reserves to rent a motel room for a few days near where it's being serviced. The more you can have in reserve can also help with your peace of mind as far as what to do if everything were to just vanish, ie someone actually did drive off with your vehicle or you had a car fire. My ideal reserve amount is enough to replace everything I have, including the vehicle. Or enough to live on until insurance money kicks in to replace it.

Welcome!

1. Cash - A lot to say here, but I would adopt a system of always splitting your total in half, keeping half on you at all times, and the other half secured in (or under) the vehicle in a strong box like ERLH suggested. In this way, you can never lose EVERYTHING.
2. There are many solo women travelers out there, and I've read very little about them having any issues. Don't worry. Do try to just 'blend in' wherever you are at the time; don't stand out if possible.
3. A secure vehicle, like most have pointed out, is one that doesn't attract any attention. This means parking the vehicle in it's normal surroundings whenever possible. If you wind up with a contractor van, for instance, try to park in industrial areas or near businesses or home improvement stores. They also have the benefit of puck locks that can be added to all the doors for further security, when you're away from the vehicle. Nervous Wreck Syndrome will only disappear once you embrace your new lifestyle and learn to relax.
4. If you explain your 'travelling/vacation situation' to the store manager, you may be able to stay in your car overnight on their lot, or possibly parked securely in the shop itself! Someone there will usually have information on local accommodations if necessary.

Cheers!

ArtW said:
What do you do with your car and it's contents while at work now? has your car or it's contents disappeared? see how well that works?

Every Road Leads Home said:
Securing your vehicle when you're not in it is the same as you do now.

I've never owned a car because I've lived in a large city for many years and have never needed one.

I'm actually more concerned about the security of the vehicle than my personal safety, as I have good street smarts and know how to avoid trouble in less than ideal situations. But if I invest a chunk of money, time, and effort into converting a vehicle into something livable and comfortable, I don't want it broken into or stolen. It goes without saying that there will be valuable things in it - laptop, TV, solar panel, etc., for example. I don't want to live like a pauper in a van; I'd want things to be comfortable and pleasing to look at.

Even as a guy I wonder the same things. One of us has always hung back to watch the dogs and trailer. Now solo it will take some getting use to not fretting all the time.

Regarding overnight servicing, I recently needed a new radiator 3 states into a 6 state trip. While the work was in progress my van was parked outside the shop and I used it overnight as I ordinarily would have. There was a motel 2 blocks from the shop so that would have been plan B. If the nearest motel had been too far to walk to then Uber would be plan C. After 27 hours I was on the way again.

Regarding cash, I keep money in an online bank account that offers a debit card. CapitalOne360 claims to have free ATM access at more places than any other. Every 7-Eleven ATM works with that card. This tends to reduce the amount of cash that I carry to $100 to $200. I only use a credit card for plastic purchases. If my number gets hacked it is the bank's money that gets stolen, not mine.

I keep a USB flash memory with me. The laptop, camp stove, clothes, tools, water, bedding, etc would be a pain in the butt to have to replace but all are absolutely replaceable. Digital data, pictures, files, correspondence, could be stored online but I prefer the USB flash in my wallet.

CityWoman said:
I've never owned a car because I've lived in a large city for many years and have never needed one.

I'm actually more concerned about the security of the vehicle than my personal safety, as I have good street smarts and know how to avoid trouble in less than ideal situations. But if I invest a chunk of money, time, and effort into converting a vehicle into something livable and comfortable, I don't want it broken into or stolen. It goes without saying that there will be valuable things in it - laptop, TV, solar panel, etc., for example. I don't want to live like a pauper in a van; I'd want things to be comfortable and pleasing to look at.

Well, millions of people every day across this country just lock their cars, and are good with that, even with built in nav / entertainment systems costing far more than even a quality color TV and a laptop, but you can get car alarms that will alert to your cell phone, if that would make you feel better
If someone really wants your stuff, and they know how, they'll get it, all you can do is make it harder / more work for them

I don't live like a pauper, I just don't buy expensive stuff if I can buy the same stuff, as good, for less
My TV I got from a thrift shop for $25, works great
My Tablet I got as a black Friday 'doorbuster' for $65 ($35 once the rebate gets here) mt PC is an Acer I got from WalMart, and works just fine for my needs

But you can't just look in my RV and SEE these things, either, i keep the windows blocked when I'm away, and neither my RV nor my truck are the type that someone would see as all that valuable: the RV is new, but it's small and a less expensive model, and the truck is an old Ford Ranger with a cap
The truck will be upgraded when I can, but for a bigger one that tows better, not necessarily for a new, or even newer, model
If that makes me a Pauper in anyone's eyes, that's their problem

As people make selections you will also want to keep in mind that RVs, motorcycles, etc are considered luxury items so parts, repairs, registrations, insurance etc. are usually higher.

While I truly appreciate that so many of you took the time to offer suggestions and feedback, I think I need to re-word my concerns, and be more specific. I'm not getting the kinds of responses I was seeking. Sorry for not being more clear.

For example, one concern I have is regarding carrying cash securely. I was not asking about bank accounts, PayPal, and ATMs. I'm well-versed in those things (can't imagine anyone not knowing how to find ATMs in 2017!). My question is about cold, hard, cash! I would not want to be out on the road without cash. So, I would like to know what kinds of safes people recommend for traveling with cash, important documents, etc., where they can be mounted, what is a burglar-proof way to do that, and if there is ever any kind of problem in accessing or opening them -- things like that. If I am living my life in some kind of vehicle, I don't think $100 or $200 is enough, especially in case of an emergency where I might not be able to withdraw money, or lost my debit card. But I admit, I'm used to living in an expensive city, where $200 doesn't last long.

I'll try to re-state my other concerns to be more focused on the basic kernel that worries me. Once I've done that, should post in a forum dedicated to that topic? Or continue posting here?

Thank you!

I wouldn't waste my money on a safe because if someone knows its there they will probably put a gun to your head and make you open it, sorry to sound so brutal. I would stick extra cash in a tampon box or toilet paper roll. If I have to carry large sums of cash its not all in the same place on my person. When out and about at night I carry a "go away" roll which is basically a bunch of $1 wrapped in a $5. Fiends get very angry if they cant get something from a victim. I pay attention to who is paying attention to me and watch my surroundings especially when in a store. I dont post, tweet or whatever my exact location or show possesions on social media. Be extra careful of the boxes you dispose of it advertises what you have. Hope this helps

Well, it's only common sense that if you have a safe, its location shouldn't be obvious. No one buys a safe and then advertises that they've got one. I am looking for suggestions on how that would work in a vehicle. I'm fairly certain some RVers have safes, so why wouldn't vandwellers?

I'm not sure what boxes you're talking about that I should be disposing carefully? If I had a bunch of boxes I need to toss, I'm sure I'd bundle them for recycling and go somewhere to drop them off. I doubt I would throw stuff away near my vehicle (and I wouldn't park near a garbage can or dumpster, anyway).

So you think it's better to have little hidey-holes here and there. Hmmm, sort of J.J. Luna style, eh?

What do vandwellers do with their valuables and important papers?

Unfortunately i dont know what people know or how much common sense they have however I do know that common sense isnt common and that someone elses comments and opinions may be beneficial to others even if they arent to you. In my opinion cash clevely hidden in different places is better than a safe. If someone breached my van I prefer them to see possibly see nothing of value and leave rather than see a safe and think theres values and then wait on me to return to force me to open it. Try a briefcase and btw its very easy to see into a van once the side door is open especially when doing something suchas vacuuming it at a carwash. Good luck

ATrucker2 said:
In my opinion cash clevely hidden in different places is better than a safe. If someone breached my van I prefer them to see possibly see nothing of value and leave rather than see a safe and think theres values and then wait on me to return to force me to open it. Try a briefcase and btw its very easy to see into a van once the side door is open especially when doing something suchas vacuuming it at a carwash.
What you're saying completely perplexes me! Who would buy a safe and leave it out in plain view? That defeats the whole purpose of having a safe.

Naturally, I would think a safe would be somehow installed and hidden somewhere in the structure of the vehicle, covered up in some way in the conversion (I'm not intending to live in a bare metal cargo van). It shouldn't even be obvious to anyone sitting inside the van (or whatever kind of vehicle it is) that there is a safe.

It's quite clear that you don't like the idea, and that's okay. But I do hope to see posts from people who have recommendations to share on types of safes, how to secure one's vehicle and belongings, alarms/camera systems, etc. I know some people may be comfortable with a very nonchalant approach to security and be quite glib about it, or live in a car carrying nothing of value, but this is something important to me if I'm going to embark on this full-time.

In a car I'd put the lock box in the trunk, under the mat, welded to the floor
In a van, that's just part of the interior
Under the hood somewhere maybe, or maybe under the van itself
maybe in the recess in the back door, inside the doorskin
One good but maybe expensive idea would be to have a hole cut in the floor, weld the box or safe into the floor, and put something over it (carpet, then a bit of furniture) makes it hard to get to, but less likely to be found
And if your van ever gets stolen, you MIGHT even get lucky and find the box full of cash still there, in the unlikely event the van is recovered

i doubt anyone who actually does this will say they do on the web