My intro and a few questions on safety and security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtW said:
i doubt anyone who actually does this will say they do on the web
No, of course they wouldn't! That's why I didn't ask, "what do you do with your safe?" or "where do you keep your cash?" I just want ideas. I did come across a website for a company that makes vehicle and motorcycle safes, but I thought I would ask for opinions here. I'm really surprised about the responses thus far - it seems no one bothers.

CityWoman said:
My most pressing questions at the moment have to do with: 
  • how one carries cash safely while traveling; 
  • personal/physical safety, as a woman traveling alone;
  • how to secure your vehicle and possessions (incl. cash?!) and not be a nervous wreck when you have to go off and do something with everything you own and need for survival parked where you can't keep an eye on it; and 
  • what you do if your vehicle needs servicing that requires an overnight at a garage/service center.  

I have a pickup and camper.  This is how I deal with your questions:

Cash - I carry as much cash as I am comfortable with.  It is split into three not necessarily equal parts.
  1. in my wallet.  I also carry a spare truck door key and truck lock box key.
  2. in a small lock box under the seat of my truck.  It is a little larger than a paperback book, locked to the seat frame with a bike cable.  I cannot see it looking under my seat.  It also contains keys for the camper and camper lock box.
  3. in a modified, lockable ammo can bolted to the camper and hidden from view.  Someone would have to have time to search the camper to find it; all the time my dog would be raising holy he!!.  It also carries keys for the truck and truck lock box.

Personal Safety
  1. situational awareness.  Get used to being aware of what is around you.
  2. trust your gut.  If you are uncomfortable go somewhere else.
  3. unless you are trying to be alone there is safety in numbers.
  4. a dog is a good alarm system and another defender.
  5. always have two escape routes.
  6. have a way to defend yourself that you are comfortable with and know how to use (pepper spray, taser, gun, club, . . .) and be mentally prepared to use it.  Your vehicle is also a weapon.

Securing stuff
  1. I always lock my vehicle when leaving it (even going in to pay for gas).
  2. I don't leave anything of value in plain sight.
  3. I usually have a dog in the vehicle.
  4. When I can I back up against a barrier to make it impossible to get into the camper.

Overnight repair
  • hasn't happened yet but my plan is to motel it.  Most repair shops will give you a ride to a motel and pick you up when finished; ask. 

-- Spiff

If you watch Bob's videos where he interviews various van and RV dwellers, a lot of them say they were very concerned about security issues at firs
All of them that I've seen then say it hasn't turned out to be a problem
There's a lot of fear mongering in our society, leading folks to think it's s worse world than it really is, and that's coming from a guy who grew up in the most crime infested part of his hometown

That's not to say reasonable precautions aren't necessary, but most folks blow it out of proportion
Hell, aside from being immobile, your stick and brick dwelling is far less secure than a car or van, if you study on it
Ever try to kick a car door open? LOL
on top of being made of steel, your vehicle has safety glass windows that are harder to break, and much stronger locks, than a stick n brick
My RV is barely secureable at all, in comparison
Locks mostly deter incompetent or 'honest' theives

I've talked to probably thousands of nomads and many started out with the same level of concern and fear you have--it's very normal! Virtually none of them still have it because they soon learned it was unjustified.

But there is no way you can have learned that yet, so my suggestion is to try hard to overcome the false idea that vandwellng is so dangerous you MUST go to great lengths in order to be safe. I think we will all tell you that is not true and extraordinary precautions are not needed.

Just do normal, common sense things like have been offered here and you will be fine. We ALL have been so far!

Most violent crimes occur in situations where the victim knows the perpetrator. So if you are going out solo, you are improving your safety! Cos you are leaving all the guys you know behind :)

akrvbob said:
I've talked to probably thousands of nomads and many started out with the same level of concern and fear you have--it's very normal! Virtually none of them still have it because they soon learned it was unjustified.
I understand all that you and others are saying. Believe me, I am not a dummy nor prone to catastrophizing. However, there is no way I am going to put the time and expense into purchasing and/or converting a vehicle to make it a comfortable home for myself only to worry about my property if I have to be away from it for a full day. I am going to want a security system and a safe! I've never owned a car, so this is something totally new to me, but I don't think it's an unreasonable desire to want tips on securing it and myself.

slynne said:
Most violent crimes occur in situations where the victim knows the perpetrator. So if you are going out solo, you are improving your safety! Cos you are leaving all the guys you know behind :)
I don't personally know anyone about whom I should worry in that regard. I'm a pretty good judge of character and can spot a bullshitter/con artist fairly well. And although I would embark on this solo, I certainly don't intend to live without companionship or relationships. As I said upthread, my personal safety is a concern, but living in a big city for many years has taught me well, so I'm actually not as concerned about other people as I am about wild animals and keeping my belongings secure.

CityWoman said:
No, of course they wouldn't!  That's why I didn't ask, "what do you do with your safe?" or "where do you keep your cash?" I just want ideas.  I did come across a website for a company that makes vehicle and motorcycle safes, but I thought I would ask for opinions here.  I'm really surprised about the responses thus far - it seems no one bothers.

Thirty years ago when travelling across the country I would divide the cash in to several smaller packages and distribute them amongst my belongings. Toes of rain boots, the bottom of the stack of t-shirts, etc, all made good places to put a couple of hundred dollars. The trick was remembering where all the money was secreted... :D
At one point I owned a Class A RV that came equipped with a small safe. I thought it was great until I found out that every other vehicle of the same designation had the same safe in the same spot. Anyone familiar with the mfr would know where to find it. I was working in a largely cash business so I set up envelopes with a thousand dollars each in them. labelled them A, B, C etc. and hid them in various places. My best friend knew that if anything ever happened to me and she found an envelope with an E on it, to look for the rest of the alphabet that preceded it... :)

Today, living full-time on the road and with full access to credit cards, debit cards and cash back options at most stores, I carry less than $200 in cash and use cards for the rest. Carrying large sums of cash is no longer a necessity. I have a small, quiet, unassuming looking tote that I store my important documents in, like my passport. It's simply tucked away in amongst my other possessions in one of the closets. All the rest is on me, in my purse, when I'm away from my vehicle doing such things as shopping.
BTW, the 'wild' animals that are the most cause for concern out here are mice, squirrels and raccoons. All the other wild animals are usually only viewed from the posterior as they run away from humans. Except of course for when we deliberately go to a wildlife refuge to look at them.
I don't presume that any of us with real life experience in living full-time on the road are going to be able to convince you that safes and high tech security systems are not really necessary for either personal safety or property security. All I can say is that after 40 years of travelling all over the continent and over 15 years of living full-time on the road, I'm safer here than I would ever be in a conventional housing situation in any larger urban area. I have to qualify that to 'large urban area' because my last place of residence was town of 1,000 where most of us never locked our doors and keys could be left in the vehicle. Kids in that town still were allowed to stay out until the street lights came on, just like when I was a kid. I feel just as safe on the road as I did in that small town.
As a single female travelling alone, my security measures include not going in to an area that would more than likely be a high crime area. I do not go exploring downtown large city areas since those are of extremely little interest to me. I'm more interested in what nature has to offer than any city. Small towns are much more interesting and extremely safe to wander about in.
I do simple things when parking for the night in truck stops/WalMarts, etc. - I park facing outwards so that I don't have to back up to get out of a parking spot. I don't pile stuff on the drivers' seat and I park close to the shopping if I need to go in to a store and then move to the outer 'overnight' area of the parking lot. I then just move from the drivers' seat to the living area without having to exit the vehicle at all. I deliberately choose parking areas that are NOT in major urban areas. For the most part I can find free campsites through freecampsites.net anyways and don't have to use parking lots. It's not anything that I wouldn't recommend for any person, male or female to do on the road.

Out here on BLM land, there is no worry at all.
For vehicle security when I leave my van someplace - no valuables are visible from the windows - laptop is put away as is the camera (or it's with me most likely). I have curtains on all my rear windows so they're closed and I lock the doors. I worry more about someone banging their car door in to my paint job than a break-in. I've only had one van ever broken in to and that was when it was parked at my mothers' apartment building in her city overnight NOT when I was travelling. Three other cars were also broken in to that night. They didn't find the most valuable stuff and cleaning up the broken glass took a lot of effort... :mad:
The few times I've needed auto repairs on the road, I was always allowed to stay with my vehicle - it is, after all, my home. If the job can not be completed in one day then I arrange for the shop to move my van out of the shop at the end of the day and stay in it overnight in their parking lot. Once I spent 5 days in a repair shop lot while some major engine work was done on the Cl;ass A. They ran an extension cord out for me so I had power, filled my water tanks with a hose and bought me beer and pizza for my birthday.   :D 
In an extreme situation, I would be prepared to rent a motel room but it would have to be extreme cause I want to sleep in MY own bed at night...that's why I have a home on wheels.
It may seem like it would be an extremely scary place out here in the big wide world but it's really not. It's a life of great sunsets, wonderful scenery, new friends from all over the continent, fresh air and easy stress free living.

If you google install a safe in your rv you will get many ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, AlmostThere. I appreciate that you've shared what worked for you rather than pooh-pooh my concerns and tell me not to worry. When someone asks for tips and advice on a specific issue, it's so frustrating and unhelpful when people say "you worry too much" without offering a real answer.

I'm not afraid as much as I am practical. I may have to run a cash-based biz on the road, among other ways I'd support myself, plus I would want to visit various cities and towns because I couldn't live without the arts. I'd want to visit museums, see dance performances, attend concerts, etc. I wouldn't be happy just camping and watching sunsets all the time. I could do it for short periods. That would be wonderful for someone else, but I need to connect with other people and to see creativity and art. That means parking in populated areas.

Thinking about nomadding also brings up the question of what to do with all the artwork I own because it brings me such joy. I could part with some of it, but not all, yet the idea of paying for a storage space doesn't appeal to me all that much. So there are a lot of questions I would need to feel satisfied about before I could even consider a life on the road. This thread is part of my very preliminary investigation into whether I can or not.

Yes, Cammalu, of course I can Google all day long, and I do that a lot, but I am also gathering first-hand info from experienced people.

Money - I carry a couple of hundred on my person nearly always, I stash a bit more in a good hiding spot in my van. The rest is in a bank, I use a debit/credit card.

Personal/Physical safety - Street smarts such as yours, makes you acutely aware of your surroundings by habit. Some people carry mace, I bought a can of bear spray, it will take care of bad people too. Place it in a readily accessible location.

Secure your vehicle - It sounds like you will be around cities as much, if not more than rural areas, because it's what you're used to and comfortable with. It also sounds like you have street savvy, buy an unassuming vehicle, keep valuables out of sight and park where "YOU" feel safe. Have an alarm put on, it's not perfect, but it a deterrent and might give you peace of mind.

One strategy I've read about many times here - When you're looking for a place to park for the night, if you find a place that looks good, but FEELS wrong, move on. If at ANY time while parked you feel uneasy, MOVE ON. You are safest when you're mobile. Always park for easy departure.

Repairs - Some shops will cater to your problem and help out, other times you will need to find alternate accommodations. No matter what type vehicle you decide on, new or old, make it as mechanically sound as possible before you even think about heading out, and keep up the normal maintenance with vigilance. Break downs happen, just less often to a well maintained vehicle, naturally.

Keep reading here and watch lots of you tube videos. You're correct when you say real world experience beats lip service. Although everyone who has replied to you here has your best interests at heart.

Good luck in your new adventure - Gadget

When I was in my undergrad I worked at a place where the town's Police officers came in for Coffee from time to time.   I got to know some of them and learned a few statistics from them.

First was that after dark the Police are generally dealing with the worst 5% of the town's people. 

That most fights with fire arms take place within 4 feet of each other. (where someone is fatally harmed)  I was shown a service revolver then that had a 1 inch barrel of .38 caliber.  Officer said a longer barrel would be in the way.

So, what's this mean?  Most of us traveling using the 2-2-2 system are trying to be into a campground for the night by 2 pm.  (when there are plenty of good sites available)    And before those who would be trouble are getting up at around 3 or 4 PM to go hang out at the night clubs, speak easy,  etc and work the underground economy they thrive on.

I've lived in larger cities and now live in a more rural area.  I can understand your concerns having lived in large cities.   I think that once you get out into the heartland you will be surprised at the difference.  Although it may take you awhile to "decompress".  (<<<< this may sound funny to you now but when you get out there in time,  you'll understand)

Hi City Woman,

I plan on installing a gun box safe for cars in my van. There are many places that sell them. Amazon, Sears, Overstock.com. etc. I plan on putting extra cash, passport, SS card, Birth Certificate, those type of papers in mine. They have them with key locks or combination codes. I know nothing is completely safe but it might serve to deter someone who is in a hurry plus help me remember where I've put my important stuff! :)

As for my personal safety, beside also using my own gut... I will have a loud whistle or air horn more for signalling for help if I fall and break my ankle or something and maybe some bear spray. You can get these any good sporting good store like REI or even Amazon.

PS  Also, make sure to have everything in your van documented and if you really are concerned get good insurance!

eDJ_ said:
Most of us traveling using the 2-2-2 system are trying to be into a campground for the night by 2 pm.
I'm confused. You mentioned nightlife in a town but here you're talking about parking in a campground. If parking within a city or town, you still try to park by 2pm? Also what do the other two 2's stand for in "2-2-2?"

I grew up in a small suburban town and have vacationed in many places that were sleepy and quiet, so it's not like I've never stepped foot out of a city - but I've never owned a car nor slept in one. My questions may seem ridiculous to some people, but if I can't see a way to live a nomadic life safely, I'm not going to invest my time and energy in that direction. I do know I need a radical change in my life, but that might simply mean relocating rather than nomadding. I don't know, but I want to find a way out of where I am.

City Woman, I didn't mean to imply anything about your ability to google. I have had many campers but not a van and never had a safe so don't have that experience and I saw that there wasn't anyone helping with the information you were looking for so I jumped in when I probably shouldn't have. I'm sorry for that. If I was going to be in the city pretty often like you I'd have some way of securing any valuables also.

Once, while on a trip with my mother, we were traveling thru Albuquerque and she became very ill. I had to get her to a hospital where she was admitted immediately for a severe case of pneumonia.

She stayed for more than a week and one day, while the car was parked into the hospital garage (right by a security camera), the car was broken into and we had about $50,000 of items stolen, mostly jewelry. Nothing was in site at all.

Things can and do happen (especially in a large city). I've also had various homes I've lived in broken into and was home during two of the break-ins. I don't see a thing wrong with having security as my piece of mind has been stolen many times in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In some small towns, one we just moved from, thieves go into homes during the day with people at home and rob them. Items are taken from yards and cars are broken into. You just never know when you might enter a store/fast food that may be robbed. If anyone knows of a way to be safe and secure without worry, I'm all ears! There are precautions one can take, but one can only control the behavior of themselves, some not even that.

Lots of good suggestions here in this thread and plenty more on the internet, I mean, there is only so much one can do.

I can't give you any advice on securing your van or the contents but I can tell you about our experiences. We love going to cities to visit museums and other cultural attractions. When we do we usually stay in big box store parking lots which are sometimes located in the "bad" sections of town. We've never had anything stolen or harmed in over 20 years of fulltime living. It could be just a fluke or it could be because our home is a RV and in the mind of a thief we could be inside at anytime. You would get the same type of security with a class B. A class B is also more stealthy than a larger motorhome. I think you should rent or borrow a van, load it up with simple camping equipment and take some short trips before you make any decisions.

Our blog (link below) will give you an idea of our traveling style.

Recently my former neighbor in Florida responded to a man who fell off of his bicycle in front of his vehicle. When he exited his vehicle to render assistance he was attacked from behind by someone else. I have no advice for others but if this happens to me in the future I will ensure my doors are locked, windows are up and call for assistance inside my vehicle.

Again I have no advise for anyone but if a stranger ask if I have change for $5, $10, etc. I don't check, reach for a pocket, etc. Chances are they are just checking to see how much cash I may have and where its located on my person before attempting to rob me. So my answer is always an automatic "No"

ATrucker2
They could also take that as, Hmm, no change, he must have all 20s and 50s. :D :D

Latest posts