My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks a little like my Jeep clutch linkage, on steroids! Does it have a pivot point on the frame, right below the front of the cab, like most of the older pickups, Jeeps etc... had? If so that shouldn't be too bad to work out.

It is free standing from the bell housing. I am happy to report that not only did it fit, it works! I only had to cut and weld the clutch rod to get it all to line up.

e3955427245eb2d1d82b3bc69389fdd9.jpg

Of course now it needs to come back apart to clean up and paint, but hey, at least that is one less problem to resolve. Now on to the parking brake cable and drilling up the drive shaft bearing support.

nice. what do you have to do to the support bearing, it looks like it was already mounted in the other pic. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
nice. what do you have to do to the support bearing, it looks like it was already mounted in the other pic. highdesertranger

I removed it from the shaft it was on from the junk yard, and bolted it on the shaft on my bell housing. It runs through the bell housing to the opposite side. The shaft is supported by two bushings with grease fittings on each side of the bell housing.

After lots of hours under the ambo, it was ready for the test drive! Sadly it did not go so well, there was a strange noise followed by a strange odor. Turns out the parking brake was hanging up internally. After getting back to the driveway and letting the drum cool down. I removed the drive shaft and drum to find one of the shoes not properly seated. I fixed the issue and put it all back together.

d4c74ecd7c11ecba2247980803c49aa1.jpg

Then off to the second test drive! Well it wasn't great, but it went without any issues. I will need to re-gear the rear end, it is just too low of gearing. While sixth gear is the same as fourth from the automatic, I zip right through the first four. Heck I was starting off in second and even in third a few times. Top gear is 1:1, so I had figured the rear end gearing might need to be addressed. I will get ahold of the big truck salvage yard on Monday to see what my gearing options are.

Bummer that trans doesn't have an overdrive. Will you just change out the whole rear end, or put a new set of gears in? My current truck has 3.73 gears and it seems to keep the engine in about as close to a perfect power band through out with 33'' tires - weighs about 10,000 lbs. My last truck had 4.10 gears. Those were great gears in all my earlier gas engine trucks, but to low for a diesel - it just never seemed to be the right RPM for the road speed throughout the transmission gear ranges.

Mine currently has 4.78:1 in the rear. After a ten mile trip on the interstate at 65mph (2750rpm) I am pretty sure that I will be getting a set of 4.33:1 gears or a new center section. My tires are 38.2", and with 4.33 I should be at 2660rpm at 70 mph. That would be much better. I may have to turn up the fuel rate and keep an eye on egt. Just thinking it all through right now, I put almost 50 miles on it today and love the way it drives. I just wish I was using all 6 gears.

Does that seem to be the RPM range your 366 likes to run? I'm turning about 2200 RPM at 75 with my 6.7 Cummins. But that is with a 6 speed .74 - 1 overdrive. At 60 in fifth direct drive I'm at about 2500 RPM. Of course your tires are 5 inches taller so that plays into it also. I admit I know next to nothing about the DT 366 as far as power band, red line, etc... 2660 RPM just seems high to me if you have a choice of lowering it a bit more.

The DT360 is the highest rpm production inline 6, they tend to be happy around 2500~2800. You can push me up to 3400 before valve float is an issue, but it shortens the lifespan of bearings, rings, pistons etc.
I am going to gear mine for right around 2600 rpm at highway speed. I drove it again today and really like how it drives. Still learning the transmission, but much better than the Allison.

Happy to report that with the manual gear box it tows better than ever! I towed a friends suv to the shop so we can install a replacement engine. Pulled it like it wasn't even there!

b21a37849f1c91369e614800cf56b75b.jpg

I am still looking for a gear set to change out to help with highway driving. Also it is time to clean the ambo inside out and get it ready for some national guard weekend trips. Then in June. my favorite two weeks of the year where I will be camping out in the ambo.

That car being towed by the ambo sure looks out of place !
Great to see you're nearing the build finish line.........or ARE you????
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

There's a thread on the iRV2 forums called the CLACers
(Can't Leave it Alone Club )Some very talented builders, fabbers , mechanics.
You'd fit right in....

Just went through all 52 pages on your build! That's quite the under taking and looks like it was well worth all the blood, sweat, and tears! Thanks for sharing it with everybody. I'll be looking forward to seeing the other updates.

Matt

87bb624a9c3201e30822612c014f1950.jpg

Not really ambo related, working out of the ambo on the jeep today. Great weather to be outdoors!

207ac6a1a59f49055b53de0ba494b4fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why yes it does fit in a normal parking spot!

b15faf1d61ac3179a40951b4619cb056.jpg

Just out running errands today in the ambo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk