My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah com'on Brad that pic is exciting, it's manly. lol. just kidding you. highdesertranger

Ok, enough is enough and I am going to bed, everything that was associated with the Allison automatic has been removed from the flywheel to the gear selector. What a fun night!
129d53c2acf16ec51cfea1b06103a5d4.jpg

0849fe04ad2a6b09a985764d86f84d70.jpg

Thanks for all the comments, it keeps me posting and motivates me to go fix something else to post about.

Baloo said:
Thanks for all the comments, it keeps me posting and motivates me to go fix something else to post about.

Are you saying that being a posting junkie is turning you into a workaholic?
Looking real good. :)

So night two, new rear main seal, flywheel install,

15862fb0e13138b646b149a3ed956344.jpg

Then the clutch and pressure plate,

7217f8223e65ee80892053ff0c6dd072.jpg

Happy to report that after everything was torqued down, I was able to start it and let it run to make sure the assembly was balanced. I love how you can start it without the transmission installed.

Woo Who! almost ready to start jammin gears. It will be interesting to see how this compares to the auto, since you were able to put quite a few miles on that trans. You'll need to do a long trip, partly just to relax and enjoy the rig after all the work, but partly so you can give us all a report on drivability and fuel mileage with the manual vs the auto. I'm assuming you still need to get the drive shaft shortened, or a longer one made? I can't imagine even on a medium duty that an auto and a manual would be the same length.

You have just about rebuilt the whole darned truck now haven't you? I'm with masterplumber; "ROAD TRIP!"
PS, I'm going to assume masterplumber is right about the transmission length. Most cars I've converted had different lengths between auto and manual transmissions, and again I would think the same applies to trucks, only bigger.

OK so I gotta ask........is there anything you CAN'T do ?

Lookin' good bud !
If I ever break down , I hope I'm parked next to you !

rvpopeye said:
OK so I gotta ask........is there anything you CAN'T do ?

Lookin' good bud !
If I ever break down , I hope I'm parked next to you !

I will try to do anything, what's the worst that could happen? As far as the driveshaft, I am having a new one made, the new transmission yoke for the u-joint is a different size. It is cheaper to make a new driveshaft than it is to get a new drive yoke/companion flange.

Today brought ten quarts of 50w oil and drilled a 4" hole in the floor for the shifter.

4c66fd7edc328931d38ea2b3ea275b84.jpg

cbf7f4c6421e67b622e337fc9c579fc9.jpg

With the gear selector in reverse there is plenty of room to walk between the seats.

80e20978b294f87894e64c9a2d0d68c7.jpg

It turns very smoothly and the engine starts much easier than it did with the Allison.

I had a couple of 60s Dodge pickups that had 3 sp. std trannys . They recommended ATF for them but it sure was LOUD, I put 80/90w in and she was mighty smooth and quiet and just a little harder shiftin' in the wintah , oh ayuh. Suppose I coulda mixed 'em !

What could go wrong?? Probably nothin' with you on the end of the wrench !!
BTW that's one smahhht lookin' shiftah right there !

I worked a little more on it today, and got the trim back on, waiting on a shift boot and a few other odds and ends. Ended up changing the gear selector shape to suit me better for driving.

a5fb651db145a9eb1d6cb5ca59a37312.jpg

hey Baloo here's a tip on what I did with my shifter. instead of painting it, I put heat shrink tubing over it. don't know how it would work with those crazy angles on yours. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
hey Baloo here's a tip on what I did with my shifter. instead of painting it, I put heat shrink tubing over it. don't know how it would work with those crazy angles on yours. highdesertranger

That is a pretty good idea. Do you have a pic of yours? I would like to see how it came out.

I LOVE IT!!!!

for a cover, though, you could go to the hardware store and get a piece of water pipe insulation. Slide that over the shift lever, and then have a leather cover made for it.

...or, you could just buy the one's made for semi trucks.

Not too much got done today,
cut the junkyard clutch linkage to the correct length and welded the end back on. Measured the drive line again so I can get my order in for the correct shaft size.

The new drive flange came in today!

4ce594ef12d6bdc4fc84639d62b7fd5b.jpg

Which meant the driveshaft was reinstalled!

2a6c5503b3c656db3d7833ee1961d824.jpg

eccee2b537fd4f78ce21878b137e786f.jpg

One step closer to getting back on the road, the last step will be a bit of a head ache. The clutch linkage... Oh well one thing at a time!

Looking good ....
After seeing what you have done so far I doubt fabbing up a clutch linkage will trip you up too much ! ;)