My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baloo said:
Just out running errands today in the ambo...
And I'll bet you enjoyed every second while driving it.  ;-)
A home that fit's into one parking space is really pretty nice.

flying kurbmaster said:
what about widthwise,??

It fits between the white lines, it is exactly 8' wide at the wheels. The mirrors are the only thing I have to be careful with. However they are so high up, most cars clear them without issues.

Every one should have the pleasure of meeting Baloo!  He is a most talented and interesting person.

Hey, I park my 19' long Dodge in the "compact only" spaces sometimes. :p

msbarth said:
Every one should have the pleasure of meeting Baloo!  He is a most talented and interesting person.

Can't argue there! Next RTR?

It is the little details that make me happy, like $40 worth of tiny light bulbs that make the dash glow again!

e6c0ab3ec9125ea61b626b33395af18b.jpg

c75e342ee6b7cd062f626f271498b4f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool, I saw that same dash in a service truck I drove for a harvest crew one day while visiting my son in Kansas last season. It was much longer and heavier than yours, but still fun to drive. Every time I see you post something it makes me think again that I need a bigger truck!

Baloo said:
It is the little details that make me happy, like $40 worth of tiny light bulbs that make the dash glow again!
That would make me happy too. :)

I noticed you chose the long life bulbs :idea: ..................... ;)

rvpopeye said:
I noticed you chose the long life bulbs :idea: ..................... ;)

The regular life bulbs just don't last as long as they used to...

Plumbed the inter cooler today!

47ef85ec44bae5882cd0afa2a8ec89df.jpg

Boost gauge?

I see you drilled a hole, welded a nut, ground it clean and threaded in a brass compression fitting. But I don't know jack about turbos so I'm still not sure what the end result is.

There is a gauge in my dash that reads the amount of boost pressure the turbo produces. The gauge gets that pressure through the fitting I installed last night.

It will be interesting to see how much it lowers the EGT. My '95 Power Stroke didn't have an intercooler. There were often times I had to back off because the EGT was to high, but there was more power there. I always wondered how much better it would pull if I had had an intercooler, well that and proper gearing with more gear selection in the trans. It looks like you're ticking off all of those things and the Amblo should be about as efficient as it can be soon.

The intercooler is like steroids for the Ambo! It dropped the egt's 250 degrees and gave it the punch it needed to not slow down on hills. I drove at 65 mph without slowing down for the terrain. It was awesome! On a steep grade with the turbo churning out 20 psi the egt gauge is barely touching the 1100 degree mark. As soon as I crest the hill the egt's drop to 650-800 degrees depending on how fast I am going. After three hours of driving the inlet tube to the intercooler was hot and the outlet was cool to the touch (not even warm!). Very happy with the results!

Sweet! If you have a turbocharged diesel engine, an intercooler makes all the difference.

I have a non-intercooled Cummins 4bt in an old box truck, and even though it's rarely driven and I'm leaning away from converting it, I have a really strong urge to install an intercooler...

Nice build, Baloo!

Sweet! I knew it would make a difference, just not how much. Glad it worked out so well. Wishing I had spent the money to do it to my old Power Stroke now.