My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The exhaust tip came in!
464fe998226284afe7752ce99a26e6b1.jpg

So after a day of cleaning and unpacking, the ambo is ready for more work. I was backing up my phone pictures when I found a picture from the day when I bought the ambo way back in 2006. Here it is...

ba3013fff4cb2cfa2a5d322fe57014c8.jpg

Long time no hear. Yup, you look happy when you picked it up. :)

Baloo said:
So after a day of cleaning and unpacking, the ambo is ready for more work. I was backing up my phone pictures when I found a picture from the day when I bought the ambo way back in 2006. Here it is...

ba3013fff4cb2cfa2a5d322fe57014c8.jpg

2006 was a very good year! Quite a transformation you've brought about.

Ballenxj said:

I have spent the last two weeks living in my rig, I covered the adventure in detail with photos in the captains log section of this forum. Now that I am home, I will be posting here again. Yes, I was very happy the day I got the ambo!

Ballenxj said:

I have spent the last two weeks living in my rig, I covered the adventure in detail with photos in the captains log section of this forum. Now that I am home, I will be posting here again. Yes, I was very happy the day I got the ambo!

I think you should paint that "military desert sand". imho it would look awesome. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I think you should paint that "military desert sand". imho it would look awesome. highdesertranger

I do agree with you on that. I may put it up to a vote on here for the color.

After reorganizing everything and trimming the fat off what I use and actually need, filled the fuel tanks and hit the scales, here is the ticket:

faec7df975a0003b01dee5821b3ade94.jpg

Since the max gross weight is 23,500. I have some room to spare with cargo capacity...

WOW! I didn't realize an ambulance is that heavy.

That's actually not bad, considering the medium duty chassis. My pickup is pushing 10,000 lbs going down the road at any given time with all the tools in it.

yeah that's pretty good you are way under your gvwr. like master plumber I am pushing 10k with my 1 ton, when I am on the road. highdesertranger

Baloo said:
So far I am averaging 14 mpg, pretty darn happy so far!

Man, your just feeding the fire over here, with me wanting to build a medium duty. Besides the cool factor, you have excess capacity and get a mile or 2 to the gallon better mileage. Do you think it will improve when you go to a manual trans? Do you have any experience with the DT466 or the bigger Cummins motors, as far as mileage? I'm just wondering what the perfect drivetrain combo would be, as far as power vs efficiency. I imagine my theoretical vehicle would weigh about what yours does, but I also need to be able to tow up to an additional 12,000 lbs and I travel through the Rocky Mountains a lot. 

Latest posts