My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
masterplumber said:
Man, your just feeding the fire over here, with me wanting to build a medium duty. Besides the cool factor, you have excess capacity and get a mile or 2 to the gallon better mileage. Do you think it will improve when you go to a manual trans? Do you have any experience with the DT466 or the bigger Cummins motors, as far as mileage? I'm just wondering what the perfect drivetrain combo would be, as far as power vs efficiency. I imagine my theoretical vehicle would weigh about what yours does, but I also need to be able to tow up to an additional 12,000 lbs and I travel through the Rocky Mountains a lot. 

The manual gear box will have an overdriven, where as this tranny is a 1:1 in high gear. The tranny I am considering is a 0.74:1. If I had it to do again, I would have gone for the 466. They are great engines, lots of power, easy to work on, and parts are everywhere. It would use more fuel (8 to 10 mpg is what my buddies box truck with a 466e gets). I will have to get a bigger turbo and a set of bigger injectors to get up to stock 466 power. I am not power hungry, just a few more ponies would be nice at times. I will be adding a water/meth injection to keep it cool on long climbs and hard towing. For now I think the tranny is my major concern. Then I will start other modifications to make it just right.

Out camping with the little truck, miss my ambo...
c0a0d552213b4a1ed5f4a4e793398212.jpg

Opened up the wheel openings a bit more to make it easier to remove the tires once I remove a leaf spring from the lead pack.

bcf41fb01476906e4a6e58b917d57443.jpg

travlinman said:
baloo you may allready know this  their is rv salvage yard in paris tn ph 731 642 3559

I had heard about it, never beet there. I will have to check it out

Baloo
I just finished reading through the entire thread from page 1.
I'm a total wirehead and your work is grade A.
The mechanical ,,,,well all I got to say is ...Will you be my friend?
WOW OMG ! That rig will be a pleasure to live in !

rvpopeye said:
Baloo
I just finished reading through the entire thread from page 1.
I'm a total wirehead and your work is grade A.
The mechanical ,,,,well all I got to say is ...Will you be my friend?
WOW OMG ! That rig will be a pleasure to live in !

Strangely, no one I work with or know is in to van dwelling or building their own rig. The friendly people on this forum are the only "friends" I have.

When you move into the rig and drive off , you'll be driving away from not understanding and towards like minded folks that also live on wheels. The best part is we're in every direction from Tennessee !
With your skills , you could probably make a living creating rigs for others........ :cool:

Windows? I want more ventilation, but don't want to cut anymore holes! I am looking for some windows that open to replace then existing windows on the doors.

Baloo said:
Windows? I want more ventilation, but don't want to cut anymore holes! I am looking for some windows that open to replace then existing windows on the doors.

Seriously? I would look into something like this. Solar powered ventilation 
I think two of them would really work well. 

LeeRevell said:
$400!  Hmmm........    have to really think about that one!  I think Sternwake could build one for $75.

You still have to be parked in the sun for it to work...duh!!

What about stinky days when there's no sun?

I think it's a little less than a well thought out product!

I'll park in the shade and hook my fan up to the 12v system TYVM. How that system is powered is up to me.

Yeah, at $400. it's a bit pricey. That's why I said one like it. I'll bet you could find a similar one elsewhere for substantially less.
RV bone yard, Craigslist, etc.

While that is a cool solar vent, I already have a fantastic vent hatch and solar panels. I have been spending evenings in the ambo, trying to work out small details. I figured it would be nice to have a cross breeze. Since I already have three 18x24" windows in my doors, it would just be easier to replace one or two of them than to cut new holes in the sides.

Latest posts