My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better than 'rubbing alcohol' which can be a low percentage of the good stuff, you might check HEET, the automotive additive. If it doesn't have any noxious additives itself (I don't know) it would burn better.

Baloo said:
Thanks, it is a marine stove by a company called Homestrand, model no. 206. I wanted an alcohol stove given their safety record in the marine industry. Also you can find rubbing alcohol damn near everywhere. 

How do you find the Homestrand stove compares to Origo stoves?

Thanks for the brand name, I hadn't found anything but Origo in my previous searches! Now I might have choices!!

Baloo said:
Thanks, it is a marine stove by a company called Homestrand, model no. 206. I wanted an alcohol stove given their safety record in the marine industry. Also you can find rubbing alcohol damn near everywhere.
Let us know how that works for you. You know, how long will it burn on a singe filling? Does it take longer to cook things, etc?
I'll bet it was a clean install with no plumbing to worry about.

Ballenxj said:
Let us know how that works for you. You know, how long will it burn on a singe filling? Does it take longer to cook things, etc?
I'll bet it was a clean install with no plumbing to worry about.

Alcohol is a little bit slower than propane - we compare the two constantly on the backpacking forums... :)
Something like a minute difference for 2 cups of water to come to a boil. 

The nice thing is that they simmer way better than propane stoves do.

The general consensus amongst those of us who use alcohol stoves in the backcountry is that one of the reasons we're out there is so that we can live life at a slower pace. If my morning tea water takes a minute longer to be ready, big deal!!

And yes, the reason I'm choosing to go with an alcohol stove is because there is no need to plumb anything in. I can also pick up gallons of Methyl Hydrate at any big box lumber store or use the little yellow bottles of Heat from a gas station convenience store in case of emergency.

Time is indeed a relative thing. When motorcycle camping with a buddy, I would have my propane mini stove lit, meal cooked and half eaten by the time he got his cranky little alky stove running. :)
But then, we weren't in any hurry either. I just like simplicity. Turn stove on, light it, heat it, eat it. Nice!

LeeRevell said:
Time is indeed a relative thing.  When motorcycle camping with a buddy, I would have my propane mini stove lit, meal cooked and half eaten by the time he got his cranky little alky stove running.  :)
But then, we weren't in any hurry either.  I just like simplicity.  Turn stove on, light it, heat it, eat it.  Nice!

Not all alky stoves are cranky though.

My Trangia is easy to light and definitely not cranky... :D

Well I cut the whole and got it installed, waiting on a new plunger and rebuild kit. I am very happy with the way it looks installed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434773300.645820.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434773313.884328.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434773300.645820.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434773300.645820.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434773313.884328.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434773313.884328.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 61
Baloo said:
I am very happy with the way it looks installed.

That's a sweet looking little kitchenette. :)  Are you going to install a small fridge, or use an icebox?

I already have a pelican 45 qt cooler which doubles as a seat/night stand

Baloo said:
I already have a pelican 45 qt cooler which doubles as a seat/night stand

Then it would seem you're good to go.

Thanks, took the ambo out for the weekend. Staying a friends place, making some food with the new to me stove. The new plunger and a good cleaning got it going.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434854868.441152.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434854882.630518.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434854868.441152.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434854868.441152.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 36
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434854882.630518.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434854882.630518.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 26
Baloo said:
Staying a friends place, making some food with the new to me stove. The new plunger and a good cleaning got it going.

Now you know you have to post some photos of the food cooking on your new stove.
PS, your new to you stove needed a new plunger? Is it a pump up for pressure type stove? I didn't think alcohol stoves had moving parts?

Yes, the plunger is used like the pump on a Coleman lantern to pressurize the tank.
Well here is water boiling for tea before bed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434860490.969801.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434860490.969801.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434860490.969801.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 25
Baloo said:
Yes, the plunger is used like the pump on a Coleman lantern to pressurize the tank.
Well here is water boiling for tea before bed.
Thanks. :)
 I used to have old Coleman stoves that used white gas. I had to pump them up to pressurize the fuel before use. They worked pretty good.
Now days I use a butane fired single burner stove that works great.

Baloo said:

Ahh, that's the difference between the Origo alcohol stoves and the Homestrand - the Origo isn't pressurized!!

Do you release the pressure after you're done cooking and then just pump it up again when you want to cook?

Almost There said:
Ahh, that's the difference between the Origo alcohol stoves and the Homestrand - the Origo isn't pressurized!!

Do you release the pressure after you're done cooking and then just pump it up again when you want to cook?

Yes, the pump is the knob looking part in the front, and the full/pressure relief is the cap to the rear of the burners. The two black rollers up front are the alcohol valves. This stove was made back in 1972, they are very simple to use, do require periodic cleanings when they become fussy. Because it is pressurized, it cooks hotter than I had expected, not much difference from white gas when boiling water.

Baloo said:
Because it is pressurized, it cooks hotter than I had expected, not much difference from white gas when boiling water.

Ha! You beat me. You answered what would have been my next question before I had a chance to ask it.   ;)

Baloo,

Question about your electric. I noticed you have a dozen, of what appears to be relays inside your box. Could you share what those are and what they control?
I'm always looking for options and appreciate what others are doing.

And I noticed you got the soap and water out. Man, I knew those rims would clean up all nice and shinny for sure. Look'in good....  :cool:

Latest posts