My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all, I really appreciate the comments, glad to know people are reading this saga. Way back in 2009 I set out to buy a commercial truck can and chassis for my ambulance box. I wanted a fully mechanical truck (no computers). I went with the International 4700 because I love the look of it. Also they sold millions of em, and parts are easily obtained. I was originally looking for a DT466, but after much reading I sort of fell in love with the underdog DT360. It is pretty much bomb proof, and most of the parts are the exact same as the 466. The first thing bought after the truck was a complete shop manual set for every system on the truck. So that is the back story, and now back to the turbo...
4ef52af5648083a1d8c27aa35b7061fd.jpg

7cf42a993bdd4e8a8c94a2d0515b721d.jpg

666cb6b160c4a4dd58afbfc051c435eb.jpg

01b63a89287de39a7d4a392cb532a41b.jpg

77d7828aa39bcfdab27aabfb1fe6ed30.jpg

I used Lucas assembly fluid on the bearings, and painted the exhaust side with POR15 manifold paint. I will be installing it tomorrow.

Milk Hauler, you are never to old to back to school and learn a new skill! I think everyone of us should learn some mechanical skills so we don't have to pay so much money to keep our rigs on the road. I am still getting to know my truck and more recently the engine on a more personal level.

Baloo said:
I used Lucas assembly fluid on the bearings, and painted the exhaust side with POR15 manifold paint. I will be installing it tomorrow.

Milk Hauler, you are never to old to back to school and learn a new skill! I think everyone of us should learn some mechanical skills so we don't have to pay so much money to keep our rigs on the road. I am still getting to know my truck and more recently the engine on a more personal level.

Ah HA! Good ole Lucas. I kind of figured it had to be something along those lines. With all the heat and abuse a turbo will receive, it's best to start it out right. ;-)
With this being a labor of love, I suspect your ambulance will be far better than new, and a whole lot cheaper.
This thing is going to be SWEET!
And yeah, I'm still reading. :)

LeeRevell said:
The "Prince of Darkness" does much better with lube products than electrical. :)

I know what you mean! I used to have an old Land Rover, the prince of darkness left me stranded a few times... Well the Ambo is all back together and runs better than it ever has! Here are the pics of the assembly and from the test drive.
f3818c7903776201e69728bae145d3da.jpg

8d668de2b61da7a3d86fde5f2a1d7427.jpg

13ae105c95550c786430ec19ee5c4616.jpg

294e3a16868c1a6dcc5e8e7354fa9f61.jpg

Enjoy the professional work you do.

Will be going to Greenville the 10th, is it close to you?

LeeRevell said:
The "Prince of Darkness" does much better with lube products than electrical.  :)

I once owned a 1967 Triumph Bonneville, (Bike) and a 1978 Triumph Spitfire, (car) so I know what you are talking about.

I'm about ready to send you paint for those wheels, LOL,

Enjoy seeing your posts on this. I kinda miss wrenching like that.

Take care and lets see those wheels shine haha and for the price of one Alcoa....https://www.virgofleet.com/195-6-lug6-vent-hole

Take care,

Mike R

nice baloo. I noticed you have a York ac compressor on that engine. is that for your ac? the reason I ask is I run a York for an air compressor. they make great "on board air" compressors. highdesertranger

msbarth said:
Enjoy the professional work you do.

Will be going to Greenville the 10th, is it close to you?

Thanks, I think that is East Tennessee, like four hours away. I wish there was more time in the day. I was able to get the cooling system flushed and filled with CAT-EC1 coolant for wet sleeved heavy duty Diesel engines. Waiting on the rest of my filters so I can get all the services done. I am planing a two week trip with the ambo, so it needs to be ready.

highdesertranger said:
nice baloo. I noticed you have a York ac compressor on that engine. is that for your ac? the reason I ask is I run a York for an air compressor. they make great "on board air" compressors. highdesertranger

For now it is still set up for A/C, depending on how difficult it will be to adapt the frieghtliner condenser to the international lines, it may become an air compressor...

I ruffed in the exhaust pipe today. I thought it would be better to run it out the drivers side since the side entry door and awning are on the other side.
24c65825ca58cb908db4f238ef5c919f.jpg

Well today was good and bad, I went for a little test drive (about 15 miles) and when I parked at a friends house, it sprung a coolant leak. Nothing crazy just a few drops from the drain petcock on the radiator. Turns out to be a damaged o-ring. After replacement it held 13psi for an hour. Refilled with coolant and drove home, no more leak!
586b2992e768b3318021dfb86fff512a.jpg

290d4c6fec574daa3836f8bac3738ef4.jpg

Baloo said:
Topped off the diesel tanks!

That is so SWEET looking! The perfect stealth camper.
 Looks just official enough to hopefully keep the miscreants away, yet no markings to call you out on.

Thanks, you hit the nail on the head. I am putting a coat of paint on it this summer and was going to change the color, but nothing says official work vehicle like white.

Latest posts