My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah good ole oven cleaner works wonders. did you shop vac that injector hole out to get any metal chips out from the tap? I like your tool. highdesertranger

No, I stuffed a piece of a shop towel in the sleeve first. I am guessing the clean injectors will make a huge difference.

Where the coolant leak came from! See the crack?
aa98c466e41411df0956e21e6780c5d7.jpg

Ha ha, I wish they all had! Two of them left the lower part in the head, hear is how I got them out...
18ef05fbfa0987529138c2cfd401234c.jpg

e18a848ec3a53b8e0fb45e0557674215.jpg

6e9597b3b0dd886d67bf41db8a9a4238.jpg

359a07c004f6c306c26d1aa92a9cf82d.jpg

5e72daa00c004ba4b20d68f9fac57be9.jpg

Of course I packed the injector nozzle bore with grease to keep the metal shavings out of the cylinders. Then after they were removed I bore scoped all the combustion chambers to make sure they were all clean. A shop vac with a small piece of tubing is your friend for this procedure!

Hi Baloo
Awesome Job and great pictures to boot .
Will Tn. let it be registered as a RV or will it have to be as a Commercial Truck ?

I have thought about doing the same with a mid sized school bus and converting it to a 4 X 4 , but seeing your project , I will have to think on it a little more .

Bandit

I have spent many long hours on the phone with my county clerk and the DOT. So far all I have left to do is remove the upper red ambulance lights and add a rear bumper. Then head to Nashville for an inspection and they will let me change the title from commercial chassis to motor home. After a steep fee of course for what they consider to be a custom build.

Thanks for the info as Tn. was one of the states we are considering Home Basing out of as is Fl. , and I don't think either of them can be as bad as Taxachusettes .

Turbo time, pulled the broken bolt out of the exhaust side, the kit arrived today. I have to say if you want a turbo kit call turbo lab of America, the quality of this kit is awesome!
b5a646aa8673c0c20adb6939bd696ba5.jpg

6f11e985688cfeb488c1a60a8c41c38f.jpg

de58a302c5dd7be333f9404e890970c8.jpg

After two solid hours of wire brush and tooth brush cleaning, it is almost ready to put back together.
801952a3935c1c467c368afd2dfff1a1.jpg

Nice work Baloo. Man, I wish I had your wrechin skills. I'm on the driver side of diesel engines.

I'd love to own my own rig one day. Late 90's W9 with a newer ISX Cummings. Love fuel economy and simplicity of a come a long. A DD 8V71 would be a close second. Love that screamin jimmie!!!

I think at the age of 40, I might be a lil old to go back to school for diesel mechs.

I've been behind the wheel 20yrs, and I know good work when I see it. GOOD WORK!

This 2014 International Prostar I dwell in full time, looks and drives nothing like the older ones. Every thing is computer controlled and automatic. I drove 95 International 9400 standup cabover for Schneider. I was so proud of that truck. I took it all over the country and the DD 60 series never missed a beat. Even after being over revved, over heated, run low on oil, it still was running when they took it away and gave me a new Century Class. JUNK!

Im about to return to the dealer for the 4th time in 3 weeks with this 2014. There is a bug in the computer that controls the AC. I miss simple machines.

The company i drive for just bought this truck in February with the newer Maxfoce motor. Its already burning oil, has a slight missfire like our 4 other truck.

Back in 2008-2013 internationals maxforce motors were failing left and right. They lost a class action suit and paid millions to various companies. International got together with Cummings and redesigned the 2014 emmisions system as a cure for the excessive oil consumption. Looks like my co will be will be going back to Volvo and the tried and true D13 motor.

Anyway, I'm ranting and don't wanna jack ur thread. Its good to see a few folks around here that can get thier hands diry. [emoji12]

I agree....great job with the engine!!! Nice and tidy!

I'm a custom builder/fabricator...but I never cared much for doing mechanicals.

I agree, NICE work Baloo.
Curious now, will you pre lube the turbo before reassembling it, and if so what lube will you use?

Latest posts