My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removed the old headliner, welded up the supports for the CB,Brake controller and speakers. Also ran all the wires for them as well. I am happy the weather has gotten better!
ca2b89491c161f1ad55c5690a26e0329.jpg

65721afeb48c25bac16faadf79dbb039.jpg

Baloo said:
91c33926c0382f2461f0364edcf6c300.jpg

Installed the second battery in the generator compartment. It took way more time than I had expected to run another 1/0 cable and move all the supports around for the additional battery. It worked out in the end, just have to make a few battery cables.

Placing the batteries next to the gasoline would be a big concern to me...???

GREAT job on this Baloo.  We have just rebuilt a Nissan Cargo Van from bare
to all the essentials: solar on down...
So, I know a small bit of what you have and are going through.  Great job!  :shy:

I used to be a service tech at a boat shop (why I use so much marine grade parts) and in boats the batteries are commonly placed near (sometimes against or on top of) the fuel cell. Originally there was one battery in there, and ran fine for 8 years, I admit it is a little crowded in there, but it is very well vented. The generator is basically an emergency backup, unless I decide to convert it to propane. Still thinking that all through.

We have a Honda we converted to propane, and a larger generac propane generator.

However, gasoline fumes, and the possibility of a spark from the battery... this is
what I had seen when I looked at this picture.  Yet, I am certain you know much more than
I about this setup...

It is very well ventilated, but sparks could only come from loose or poor connections. Mine are both crimped and soldered, then fastened to the batteries with locknuts. Also unlike a normal van, my compartment is built with 1/8" thick aluminum walls. Even if a fire broke out, there is no where for it to go.

Well I learned that snow covered solar panels don't charge batteries!
8bc4c57c68855803720b746ad00f182e.jpg

61e2f8dfaf63d27b1da21cbd6970520f.jpg

e1d3bd8ccd8042ee67cadc9bdc91b4c3.jpg

Installed the rear lights, just some wiring left to do and pick up the right hardware to finish the job. I am really enjoying this 50 degree weather we are having!
8e8f63507889f82cfc4be87aa1bbc372.jpg

It will just be the middle and lowers, the upper reds are getting removed and cover plates installed (trying to look less like an ambulance).

Baloo, I am also enjoying this weather maybe we can meet up soon. I would like to see your ride.

msbarth said:
Baloo, I am also enjoying this weather maybe we can meet up soon. I would like to see your ride.

That would be awesome, I am getting it ready for a two week trial run in April.

cool. you have a 5 ton floor jack, you need one with that truck. I need one for my truck also. highdesertranger

those wheels need some pizaz! Looking great, I think you have a real winner there. looking forward to seeing this once you have the exterior finished to your liking.