My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roughed in the stereo today, I know it looks like a high end stereo, but it is old and was given to me from a friend for fixing his car. I like it because the face is detachable and it is the screen for my rear view camera.
4a6006a926808a4bfc4574588905bb40.jpg

Baloo,
Really nice project. I'm interested how well your solar panels perform and I appreciate the wiring photo's as well. I'm knee deep in the solar learning curve myself.

Thanks, so far I am happy with my panels, but the plan is to add a few more. From what I have learned solar systems seem to grow over time based on your needs. My electrical system is setup for solar expansion, I will have to replace the solar controller with a higher amp model.

Trimmed out the stereo today and did some more wiring, lots of little details to go. Although now it needs to be cleaned out, too many pieces of wire and metal stock floating about.
23456fe69bf7b08fb35cab551a425f92.jpg

Almost done wiring up the beast, and sorted through the birds nest of wire.
ffabb1871b0ac20ae1ef0ffae72190db.jpg

18bd10e0d5193bdea0dbdd9bfeb01bd8.jpg

Then took it for some snow driving, and with all that weight, it drives great for a 2WD.
8a0bc97a14f4c304d6cdc419cbf6e38b.jpg

That wiring job is so clean! Very impressive!

I figured the more organized the wiring, the easier it is to modify or repair.

that's one nice looking rig. did you make a schematic for your wiring. when I do mine I will use a label maker also. highdesertranger

Man, I am definitely going to need some help when I set up my electrical. That's way more wire than I think I can deal with on my own.

I used to think the same thing, just take it one circuit at a time, and lots of 3 amp fuses! That way if you hook something up wrong, all you did was blow a cheap 3 amp fuse...

Just looking at your setup I don't know what each component is there for. I can figure out some of it, but there seems to be a lot of components. Someone should do a step by step blog post that explains what watch component does, when and why you need it, etc.

Matt71 said:
Just looking at your setup I don't know what each component is there for. I can figure out some of it, but there seems to be a lot of components. Someone should do a step by step blog post that explains what watch component does, when and why you need it, etc.

I will break it down and explain it out, I will try to get to it this weekend, I have national guard, so if we are not too busy.

Matt that first picture certainly could scare some folks,
The large unit in the top left is a Xantrex Pro Inverter, 12 volts to 12volts. Directly below the inverter to the left is the power switch to turn off the main supply t the inverter, for servicing it.
To the right are a couple of resetable circuit breakers and then his master power switch, That SW will allow him to select either the main battery, house battery or combine both. Directly above that main switch is a Xantrex battery charger. To the right of that and down a bit you see the two boxes with clear plastic covers, those are fuse blocks. Above the fuse blocks are terminal strips, these can be used in different ways so I won't say more on that. and lastly you can see all those small little black boxes, those are relays used in turning higher power devices and or lights on and off. In the Ambo those would have been used to control lights, siren etc.

I'm guessing that the last picture was of wire that he pulled out of the system. If so all I gotta say is DAMN!

Mike R

Thanks Mike! That is some of the old wiring, I recycled what I could. All the components are new, like relays, switches, fuse boxes, breakers and the inverter. The inverter is a constant 1800w witch can run the hot plate or microwave (mounted above the electrical panel). It will be used when I don't want the generator making noise. There is an A/C breaker box in the main battery compartment for the air conditioning, microwave, battery charger and the outlets. There is also another battery selector switch for the truck side so it can be start on either the main or house batteries if ever needed to. As an aviator, the system is designed to be redundant. One fuse box is for the interior lights and vent fan (the house fuse box) the other is for the outside spot lights, marker lights, brake and turn signals, and compartment lights (cab fuse box). The larger can fuse box drives relays to reduce the amount of voltage loss with having to run high voltage wires to the switches, also if I get a short to ground nothing happens sense they are ground driven circuits. Because of how long the brake light wiring is, I wanted to have a mid truck fuse box which also drives the trailer connector and brake controller. There is no wiring diagrams, I may draw one when I am done. For right now it is all in my head. However it is all done to marine wiring standards, so any technician could figure it out if need be. I explain the solar charging system another time, be safe,

Baloo