my 2005 Astro AWD conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flying kurbmaster said:
I like your van, and your build, I also liked your table design but felt that a dinette was not a good use of space and a pita to set up and break down. If you want a table for your computer maybe you could have it hooked into your cabinet across from your bed somehow or off your door from your swivel chair, ever considered a poptop to solve your standing problem
Thank you kurbmaster,
The table design was, in my opinion easy to raise and collapse, the only real problem I had with it was that I didn't use it — it was too much hassle taking the bed all apart. I have already made a hinged 'table' on the shelves opposite the bed — I can sit on the bed and eat there, or have my laptop there and type. The idea of something I can use while sitting in the swivel chair is appealing...
I have looked into poptops and have emailed a few companies that used to make them for the Astro, but it seems like no one does anymore. I have toyed with the idea of making my own, but I'd have to fit my solar panels on top of it, it was starting to sound like too much work...

I am in the process of making one, at the moment I am in a holding pattern, I have to prepare the lifter attachments before gluing the top on. I am trying to find the lifters at a reasonable price. At this time the lid weighs 11kg which is about 24lbs I reckon complete it will weigh under 30lbs, the lifters I am looking at can lift 30lbs or 35 lbs each depending on which site you read , I plan on using two but there is no reason to stop at two if you wanted extra weight like solar panels, I may install a panel on it at some time. I have a thread started but have not added anything in a couple of weeks due to stop work and lack of time to play with it. I won't be cutting the hole until I am sure it all works tent and all and looks good sitting on top of the van. It is not as cheap as I would have hoped, I have a feeling that it will cost around 600.00 that is if I make the tent as well.

Ballenxj said:
Your bed layout looks very usable. Good job.

Thanks Ballenxj,
Using the gas-lift struts for the plywood top really makes it manageable, and not having to disassemble the bed is great! I haven't slept in it yet but it looks inviting...

Nice build. I think the Astros are vastly underestimated for vandwellers as far as size, mpg, and reliability. The only real downside is the 4' interior height.

I have two. The 95 that's in the for sale section and a 94 AWD model. I like the older AWD setup as they are true full time AWD vs the newer on demand setup. 340,000 miles between the two and they are going strong.

Just bought my seventh astro(safari) finally found the one i wanted 97 2wheel drive full panel van gota love them.

I like my 2005 AWD Astro too, it has 203,000 miles on it of which 23,000 are mine. It runs great and burns very close to no oil. I am 71 and single (not by choice!) so the Astro has enough room for me, if I had a partner though I would be looking at something a bit bigger. A younger couple could probably manage in the Astro just fine...

Since implementing my latest changes I have also added a small table. I sit on the bed and work at the table.

The table is hinged to the shelves using take-apart hinges, and is suspended by chain from the van's framework. I can use it for my computer or eating or writing:
DSC04545.JPG

With the table removed:
DSC04540.JPG

The table on but collapsed:
DSC04543.JPG

The chain is attached to a 10-24 screw eye which is threaded into a riv-nut set into the van framework:
DSC04536.JPG

The take-apart hinge:
DSC04537.JPG

I think this is a big improvement since the bed does not need to be taken apart in order to use the table.

flying kurbmaster said:
I am in the process of making one, at the moment I am in a holding pattern, I have to prepare the lifter attachments before gluing the top on. I am trying to find the lifters at a reasonable price. At this time the lid weighs 11kg which is about 24lbs I reckon complete it will weigh under 30lbs, the lifters I am looking at can lift 30lbs or 35 lbs each depending on which site you read , I plan on using two but there is no reason to stop at two if you wanted extra weight like solar panels, I may install a panel on it at some time. I have a thread started but have not added anything in a couple of weeks due to stop work and lack of time to play with it. I won't be cutting the hole until I am sure it all works tent and all and looks good sitting on top of the van. It is not as cheap as I would have hoped, I have a feeling that it will cost around 600.00 that is if I make the tent as well.
I bought the gas-lift struts from this seller on ebay: gas struts
They were about $23 + $10 shipping for 2 x 55 pound struts. If you get them here, make sure you order the brackets too.
That all the seller deals in, just gas struts, and delivery is pretty quick.

I have gone primitive camping with the new van layout. Night time temperatures were down to freezing and below.

The new bed is much better, it's much bigger, it's now standard twin size. The mattress is 3" foam rubber plus 2" memory foam, with a terry cloth zip covering. Just having the extra room in bed makes it much more comfortable. I thought it was going to be cold, but I was actually warmer in regular bedding than in my US Army surplus sleeping bag (the kind that has multiple layers). The bed was perfect.
The table is perfect too. I can sit on the bed and have the table up in seconds. I can eat or work on my laptop at the table, it makes it much more livable.

Even getting to things in the below-bed storage is much easier, the gas struts assist opening it and will hold it open. The old storage I had to try and hold the top open while I looked for whatever.

And the solid state relay connected to the charge controller's load output for control, and killing the power to the fuse block is working perfectly too.

I'm looking forward to going out for much longer, but that will have to wait until my son's university semester is over and I no longer have to drive him.

anm said:
I bought the gas-lift struts from this seller on ebay: gas struts
They were about $23 + $10 shipping for 2 x 55 pound struts. If you get them here, make sure you order the brackets too.
That all the seller deals in, just gas struts, and delivery is pretty quick.

Glad your bed worked thanks for that link, however, I am not using gas struts for my poptop, I plan on lifting it straight up rather then one end, so what I am looking at are X spring loaded lifters , they come in 700mm(30) 900mm (36)and 1200mm(48 inch) they all seem to be able to lift the same amount about 35 lbs each. They lift straight up so the whole top will go up level with the top of the van. I built the top to take the 900mm ones, I have found some in Australia at a reasonable price and working on getting them shipped to a friend over there, as the supplier won't do international deliveries. luckily I am in no hurry. :)

I'm glad to hear the new bed and table is working out. Interesting to hear the blankets are warmer than the military sleep system, but not surprising.

This is an update on the solid state relays:

The ones I got (2 of them since I wanted to control a Harbor Fright 2000/4000 inverter) are no good. The seller on eBay lists them as 100 amp SSRs but my testing with an adjustable carbon pile load tester revealed that at even 20 amps the SSRs failed. The SSR I was using to control the inverter was worse than useless, it didn't even do a clean failure, it went to some low current intermediate voltage. What I wanted my system to do is shut off all power drains if the house battery voltage drops too low. So I'm back to the drawing board. This time I'm going to use standard automotive relays, and since the inverter is fused for 100 amps I will use 200 amp relays. My only concern with electro-mechanical relays is the power draw for the coil, and possible voltage spikes when power to them is cut. I guess a diode across the coil will take care of that...

This thread has so many fantastic ideas I plan to steal. I just wanted to say thank you, and to bump it up for others to see.

Bump again! Agreed on lots of great ideas. That's for persuading me on the bed design. I also love the simple sink!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk