my 2005 Astro AWD conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JosephRedBeard said:
This is seriously everything i have wanted to do to my astro all packed in to one thread.  I have been pouring over this for over an hour now and cannot wait for my astro to get out of the shop (ball joints.  i hate them.  i will pay for them)

Do you know if they make a roof vent like this with a fan to take air out of the vehicle?
Look up Roof Vent on this forum search.  There are a lot of options. I have a Fantastic Fan body with a computer fan insert.

This is a pretty old thread so most of us don't remember what fan he had--can you remind is.

Like John said, a Fantastic Fan is most peoples first choice. They have a motorized, 3-speed fan that can move a lot of air. They are reversable so they can blow air in or out. Some people get two of them and one blows in and one blows out and they can cool the van very quickly.

Nearly all roof top fans use a standard 14x14 inch opening so they are interchangeable.
Bob

I guess this thread is pretty old, like me.

I'm going to try and bring it up to date. So first I'm going to do is mention a change I did that was suggested by Lafnbug:
https://vanlivingforum.com/User-Lafnbug Lafnbug commented that if I should move the charge controller and the paper towel holder so I could set a cushion against the bulkhead they were mounted and sit on the bed, leaning back against the bulkhead. I thought about it and decided it was worth doing. I removed the paper towel holder and discarded it (it just unrolled if a window was open while driving anyway). Then I relocated the PWM charge controller to a piece of plywood I attached to the inside of the van where the table folds up. Making sure it cleared the table I mounted the charge controller and dimmer for the dome lights on it.
DSC04234.JPG

and:
DSC04236.JPG

Relocating the charge controller has allowed me to shorten the wires from the charge controller to the solar panels, and to the battery, and in electrical stuff 'the shorter the wire the better' especially if it carries a 'high' amperage load.

I have also started adding 3 feet to the length of my van. I removed the original table that I used for the stove and put a full-width piece of 3/4" plywood in its place. I used the same type of gate latch on both sides, and added a lynch-pin so it couldn't accidentally collapse. This platform extends the living space by about three feet. My plan is to make a ventilated, water-proof canvas cover for the back so it really can be treated as living space. Ideally I would like to attach the canvas to the inside of the back of the van so it collapses when the floor is folded up and the doors closed. I think it will be doable.

This is what I have so far:

DSC04181.JPG

and:
DSC04177.JPG

DSC04239.JPG

DSC04238.JPG

So far the single most important thing I've discovered about living in a van is that everything must be multi-purpose, if an object serves a single function see if you can get rid of it and let another object in the van take over its responsibilities. Case in point, the five gallon bucket you see is my trash bin, my washing tub, and my toilet. With a single plastic bag it's a trash bin, clean and with no bag I use it for washing clothes, and with the double bags it functions as a toilet (though I only use it for that in an emergency). I originally bought one of those porta-pottys (Reliance) but it simply took up too much space. Instead I got a toilet seat (from Reliance too)  that's made to fit the standard 5 gallon pail and threw out the porta-potty, I gained about 5-6 cubic feet of van space!

Here, a while back someone mentioned having problems with the blue water containers (also by Reliance). I have been using mine for quite a while and I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I make sure that the vent plug is occasionally pulled when getting water out of it (so it doesn't suck the sides in), or if rapidly changing altitude. I even bought a second one to increase the time I can spend out in the field.

The second most important thing is that most people I meet seem to think I now have unlimited spare time, they don't realize that a lot of my time is spent so I can have that spare time. I have to learn to say no...

Great post and great design, thank you!

I love the room extension, very creative! Are you concerned about putting your weight on the floor and having that do long-term damage to the door hinges?
Bob

akrvbob said:
Great post and great design, thank you!

I love the room extension, very creative! Are you concerned about putting your weight on the floor and having that do long-term damage to the door hinges?
Bob

Hey Bob,
I've wondered if I might be over-loading the door hinges, but I've seen spare tires mounted on the doors (as well as my 5.5 gal Jerry can and bracket), and usually the wheels are the huge, off-road wheels and tires. The steel used in the door and the door frame is pretty strong stuff, I should know since I've had to drill it at one time or another. I finally decided to conduct a little empirical testing, and so I'll let you know the outcome. Also, I may have to put a cross-piece under the plywood floor, but that too will be decided empirically.

I think the Astro actually has a real-live frame, and with that in mind I have been giving a lot of thought to cutting off my van's body behind the front seats and at the cargo floor level, effectively giving me a flat-bed Astro. This would mean that I keep all my Astro's running gear, chassis etc. Then I would build a new back section, probably out of wood, on the back. It would have at least 6 foot of headroom, be at least 6 feet wide inside, and also longer, probably 10 or twelve feet. It would give me a much more livable space. I've also thought about finding an old 'cube van' (non-functional engine and/or tranny but with a good cargo back) and re-tasking the cube back section. I've even thought of just buying a cargo trailer, take the axle off it, cut the hitch off, and attach it onto the back of my van. It's probably lighter and would be cheaper than me making my own. The only drawback I can think of is that most cargo trailers have a pointed front for streamlining, but since in my application it would have to seal against the 'cab' I need one with a flat front.

The reasons for converting my own van rather than buy a conversion are the following:
  • I already own it
  • It's 4 wheel drive
  • I'm familiar with it, know its history (at least its later history)
  • I can make it how I want it

anm said:
Hey Bob,
I've wondered if I might be over-loading the door hinges, but I've seen spare tires mounted on the doors (as well as my 5.5 gal Jerry can and bracket), and usually the wheels are the huge, off-road wheels and tires. The steel used in the door and the door frame is pretty strong stuff, I should know since I've had to drill it at one time or another.

Years and years ago, way back before the big 3 moved to putting the spares up under the rear of the van, we all used to put the spare on a tire carrier on the left back door. The tire carriers were a 3 point connection comprised of the 2 hinges and another connection bolted through the door at the leading edge.

All of us who kept our vehicles for more than a few years ran into problems with the hinges sagging from the weight of the spare pulling on them.

I'm not saying don't put the spare and the jerry can there but IIWM, there is no way I would put my weight on the platform. If you want to do that I'd suggest that you install some kind of adjustable feet so that you could support the weight on the ground and not on the doors. Use the doors strictly as sidewalls not support.

Edited to add: There are hightops available for the Astro/Safari that will give you standing height...the wreckers are your best bet and it would be an easier install than cutting up the van and building your own high top.

Almost There said:
Years and years ago, way back before the big 3 moved to putting the spares up under the rear of the van, we all used to put the spare on a tire carrier on the left back door. The tire carriers were a 3 point connection comprised of the 2 hinges and another connection bolted through the door at the leading edge.

All of us who kept our vehicles for more than a few years ran into problems with the hinges sagging from the weight of the spare pulling on them.

I'm not saying don't put the spare and the jerry can there but IIWM, there is no way I would put my weight on the platform. If you want to do that I'd suggest that you install some kind of adjustable feet so that you could support the weight on the ground and not on the doors. Use the doors strictly as sidewalls not support.

Edited to add: There are hightops available for the Astro/Safari that will give you standing height...the wreckers are your best bet and it would be an easier install than cutting up the van and building your own high top.
Yeah maybe I should try that, at least until I've decided I can't find one...
I've seen some of the hi-top conversions, and many of them look like the hi-top only adds 8-9 inches to the interior height. It would be a help but certainly not worth the effort, IMHO. I want to be able to stand...

anm said:
Yeah maybe I should try that, at least until I've decided I can't find one...
I've seen some of the hi-top conversions, and many of them look like the hi-top only adds 8-9 inches to the interior height. It would be a help but certainly not worth the effort, IMHO. I want to be able to stand...

Here's a link that shows one that's 24"

http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR/Mini_Van_Tops.html

They do exist, you might have to hunt a little harder for one but they're out there and considering that the van ceased production 10 years ago, you're going to find more and more of them being retired.

The 8 or 9" ones are almost useless but they're the ones most often found because the larger commercial conversion companies used them to give additional seating height for the captains chairs they put in.

Tiger motorhomes started out by making a pop top motorhome on an Astro chassis. maybe you can find one of those that needs a new drivetrain cheap, and put your drivetrain in it. Just an idea out of left field ;) I know the new Tigers are built fairly well, but I don't know a lot about the older ones, except the fact that the founder of Tiger Motorhomes is also the original founder of Four Wheel campers which were and are built well. When they sold the business he went on to Tiger and his son went on to form Phoenix Campers.

and said:
This shows a sliding shelf I added below the water container. The shelf has a hole cut into it and inserted into it, a stainless steel bowl (don't tell the dogs!) for washing. A magnetic cupboard door catch stops it from sliding out while driving:
I like the simple and bullet proof faucet and sink.

Wow, I exerted some influence! Just kidding! Was it worth the effort moving the charge controller? Do you find yourself using the cushion as a backrest? I am considering a similar layout in a full size van. I love the convertibility of the space, but I am still not sure if it's worth the effort on my project until I decide on other issues. Your feedback may help me decide.

How wide is the bed, and, is it wide enough? I'm fairly thin, and bed width is one of my hardest decisions. It seems like 28-30" would be enough, but who knows. I have too many ideas floating around my head...

Interesting idea on the rear 'deck' with expanding tent. You surely think outside the box!

You'd be better off using a pickup truck chassis or large Van if you want to put a new "house" on it. Hanging that much extra box off the back of the short wheelbase of an Astro will make for a horrible handling vehicle, and that 4.3 is gonna suck even more gas then a V8 when you load it down.

Many of the cargo's are flat or only gently curved.

trailers_car_mate_enclosed_cargo_trailer_600.jpg

It would be a shame to cut up the Astro if it is a rare AWD and a good one. Many of them are crap.

If you can go without AWD, the 10ft Uhaul vans are a good deal used and have the 4.8 V8 which gets the same MPG as the 4.3 but is a better plant.

_dsc4869.jpg

Lafnbug said:
Wow, I exerted some influence! Just kidding! Was it worth the effort moving the charge controller? Do you find yourself using the cushion as a backrest? I am considering a similar layout in a full size van. I love the convertibility of the space, but I am still not sure if it's worth the effort on my project until I decide on other issues. Your feedback may help me decide.

How wide is the bed, and, is it wide enough? I'm fairly thin, and bed width is one of my hardest decisions. It seems like 28-30" would be enough, but who knows. I have too many ideas floating around my head...

Interesting idea on the rear 'deck' with expanding tent. You surely think outside the box!

Yep you did! I think it was well worth doing, wires are shorter, charge controller is where I can see it easier, and I can lean back against the shelf.

My bed is about 38-39 inches wide and for just me it's plenty. But I have been thinking about making it wider, about 48 inches as Bob has suggested, but that will probably have to wait until the need arises :rolleyes: . If I decide to do that I will just move the existing storage compartments 9-10 inches away from the left wall, and fill in the space with some additional storage compartments for rarely used items.

ZoNiE said:
You'd be better off using a pickup truck chassis or large Van if you want to put a new "house" on it. Hanging that much extra box off the back of the short wheelbase of an Astro will make for a horrible handling vehicle, and that 4.3 is gonna suck even more gas then a V8 when you load it down.

Many of the cargo's are flat or only gently curved.

trailers_car_mate_enclosed_cargo_trailer_600.jpg

It would be a shame to cut up the Astro if it is a rare AWD and a good one. Many of them are crap.

If you can go without AWD, the 10ft Uhaul vans are a good deal used and have the 4.8 V8 which gets the same MPG as the 4.3 but is a better plant.

_dsc4869.jpg

Yeah my Astro is the AWD version, and it's a 2005, the last year they were made so it has the 4-wheel disc brakes. It has 195,000 miles on the clock but since I've owned it for only a year or so I don't know if it's had any major engine or tranny work in the past. It burns almost no oil, runs great, starts great, and will drive through anything I've tried.

Looking at the 2 pics, I'd really like to have one of those uhaul cubes, it would be perfect (almost).

I have a suggestion for anyone doing a van conversion: don't use an exercise mat for the flooring (or at least make sure it is non-absorbent!). My exercise mat flooring absorbs any liquid spilled on it and is getting sorta gross. It's had beer, cider, soup, coke, etc, spilled on it at one time or the other, and it needs replacing after only about 1/2 a year. I'm going to look for a kitchen or bathroom, lino remnant, something water proof and scrubbable.

Also, someone else here suggested just keeping reading material on my kindle and not having books on the shelves, I have done that. It gives me quit a lot more storage space for other things. I still have books that I want to keep, but I'll have to store them elsewhere (son's house maybe).

anm said:
I have a suggestion for anyone doing a van conversion: don't use an exercise mat for the flooring (or at least make sure it is non-absorbent!). My exercise mat flooring absorbs any liquid spilled on it and is getting sorta gross. It's had beer, cider, soup, coke, etc, spilled on it at one time or the other, and it needs replacing after only about 1/2 a year. I'm going to look for a kitchen or bathroom, lino remnant, something water proof and scrubbable.

Also, someone else here suggested just keeping reading material on my kindle and not having books on the shelves, I have done that. It gives me quit a lot more storage space for other things. I still have books that I want to keep, but I'll have to store them elsewhere (son's house maybe).

I find that when beer is spilled in my van it sets off the LP leak detector. Perhaps explains why it was disconnected when I bought it; perhaps the previous owner was a butterfingers. Personally, I just have to watch clumsy drunk girls back here.

I got off topic.

Vinyl flooring seems to me the way to go. Although I did briefly consider replacing mine with some of that snap-down fake wood stuff...

After using my van for a few years I decided an upgrade/redecorating was needed. I decided on the following six problem areas:
1. I had noticed that the exercise mat I used for flooring was absorbent! Everything I have ever spilled has lived on in that exercise mat!
2. I have also decided that the 'dinette' table arrangement was superfluous, when I was out living in the van I never used it since I didn't want to have to tear the bed apart.
3. I don't like living in a sleeping bag.
4. I want more room in bed.
5. I want to have the van automatically shut off the load on the house batteries if their voltage drops too low.
6. I want to have a master cutoff for the house batteries.
So, with that in mind this is what I did:

So the first thing I did was replace the exercise mat with some linoleum, about $70 at Lowes, problem solved! I also removed the 3-part hinged top of my storage boxes and replaced them with a larger single piece of B-C grade 23/32 plywood. That gives me a platform the size of a standard twin mattress. I also built and installed a third storage box where the dinette table used to be:
DSC04509.JPG

My batteries are 3 MotoBatt U1 size AGMs 35 amp each for 105 amp total. They are AGMs so they don't have to be vented. Next time I get batteries I will get Trojans U1 AGMs, they have a better case design and they are true deep cycle batteries:
DSC04511.JPG

This is what it looks like before putting on the top supports and painting it:
DSC04513.JPG

After painting with a foam twin mattress:
DSC04521.JPG

I used 2 - 55lb gas struts to support the top, they assist opening the top and stop me from dropping it closed. The bedding can all stay in place while opening the storage:
DSC04522.JPG

I have put screw-eyes under the overhang, I always had a lot of stuff 'kicking' around on the floor and the overhang, screw-eyes, and bungee-cords are an almost perfect solution:
DSC04523.JPG

DSC04524.JPG

For controlling the house battery power I got a 100amp solid state relay and heat-sink:
DSC04526.JPG

The input of the solid-state relay is wired directly to the 'Load' output on the charge controller, and the output is wired into the house battery lead that carries power to the fuse block. I can manually shut the load on or off with a button on the charge controller, and the charge controller monitors the house battery voltage and will shut the house battery load off when voltage drops to a preset (by me) level:
DSC04529.JPG

As time and wire permits I'm going to replace all of the white zip cord with automotive quality zip cord. The automotive zip cord has better insulation, it is more flexible at colder temperatures and it can tolerate higher temperatures.

Now I have to get through this semester of my son's university education, and possibly the summer semester (he wants to go this summer), and then I should be free to go back to Padre Island!

What is that lid you have on your 5-gallon bucket? Can you give me some info on that? I have been trying to find a good sealing lid, as the ones at the big box stores don't seem to create a great seal...

I like your van, and your build, I also liked your table design but felt that a dinette was not a good use of space and a pita to set up and break down. If you want a table for your computer maybe you could have it hooked into your cabinet across from your bed somehow or off your door from your swivel chair, ever considered a poptop to solve your standing problem

myke said:
What is that lid you have on your 5-gallon bucket? Can you give me some info on that? I have been trying to find a good sealing lid, as the ones at the big box stores don't seem to create a great seal...
 Hey myke,
It's actually a  toilet seat and lid called a Luggable Loo and is made by Reliance — it will fit 'any' 5 gallon industrial pail (like the 5 gallon bucket that joint compound comes in). The last time I was in Walmart I saw the Luggable Loo in the camping section for about $13, a real bargain, mine cost me $20.

I only use the bucket as a toilet when I'm desperate and then I use the double plastic bag things that Walmart also sells. Most of the time it is just a trash can.