Mr and Mrs bLEEp's new home

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bLEEp

Reaction score
So here we are! My future wife and I decided a few months ago that as soon as we get kids settled after graduation we wanted to travel.  We started looking at options and as many of you know we have decided to purchase and fully renovate a cargo van.  
We have been shopping and saving, planning and reading.  Mrs b is quickly becoming an expert on what is out there and the space we require, while I have been reading everything I can and watching YouTube videos like an addict.
We are nearing the purchase of the van now, and I am reaching out to anyone who may have solid advice as to what we should look for in the van.  We are not very wealthy people, I am a bit of a minimalist, a chef and horticulture freak by training, and Mrs b is an amazing planner and forward thinker, she is a very open, nature loving, book reading, motherly beautiful soul.
In other words, we need as much guidance as possible. Hahahaha
So, back to where we stand.
We know we need something with extra space (we have discussed towing a small trailer) there will be the two of us and our K9 companion, the doodle doggie ??.
I know we want at least 300 watts solar as we plan to spend tons of time off the beaten path.
We are both very good at living minimalistic lives, minus the wife's book collection :)
We are seasoned woods folk, we know and understand what this will require of us.
I am really hoping someone can point is in the direction of reading materials or videos detailing a full conversion of a cargo van into a livable space for two and a pup.
I am no carpenter, but I can use tools and understand basic ideas of electric it as I used to build indoor controlled environment agriculture grow spaces.
Is there anything specifically we should look into as far as investing in tools or materials?
In the opinion of the experienced van dwellers, where is the best place to start BEFORE we make the purchase?
I am sure I will have more thoughts to add as this thread and our new life develop, perhaps the Mrs will even chime in.
Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to create this amazing resource for us noobs.
Be well.
bLEEp

I'm not sure what the question is, but if it's what van to buy I highly recommend the Chevy Express series. If you're going to tow a trailer then an extended 3500 or 2500 with the 6.0 liter is 100% my first choice. Simply the best van on the market today. If you need a high top, you can have one installed and still beat the price of any Euro style van, Sprinter, Connect ot Promaster.

That's my very biased opinion!
Bob

my vote is for 73-86 carbureted gmc/chevy easy to work on cheap and if you blow a trans or engine just throw a rock and it will hit a replacement

Hopefully you won't be looking for a replacement windshield !!!!!!

what's wrong with finding a windshield. for my 78 chevy truck they are cheap and readily available. $226.00 installed at my location(they come to you). note this is the one with the antenna built into the glass. the one without the antenna is cheaper. another point I can find any part you can think of for this truck. highdesertranger

I would go with something larger than 1/2 ton. I am learning that Ford is having problems with at least some of their engines between 2004 and 2008. I would avoid those years. A lot of Dodge vans are called 3/4 ton, but really are not. So my vote would also be Chevy 2500 or 3500.

HDR
I was referring to Gary's comment about throwing a rock and hitting a replacement.......

Thanks for the replies folks :)
So I found a 1991 Dodge 15 passenger church van 5.9 V8. It has a ton of Windows and it is red, I hate red. However, I am pretty sure I can grab this thing for close to 1000 dollars from the distressed seller. So into research I go. I am going to drive over to KC to take a peak probably next week. Trying not to get too excited, YET.
If this thing is what I'm told we will save a bunch on the purchase to put right into the conversion, hoooooray!

cool,its a dodge so check closely for front suspension and frame rust

So the van IS a one ton, only 122,000 miles.
If everything is good when I go look I'm grabbing this thing!
Now Iam starting to get excited guys! The only downfall I see is that I will have to paint it and all of the glass. However, I can work with that and apply some of the purchase fund we save toward a paint job and window tint.
Wish me luck!

So we decided on a short bus. I have been under the weather and the wife has had some family issues slowing us down but we are now well on our way.
We are hoping to have the bus done by April and be in Quartzite this winter. I am currently trying to figure out the solar situation. We will require a fair amount of power for both of our jobs are online and require decent amounts of time online. I am hoping 400 watts will be sufficent for our needs. From what hat I have read golf cart batteries seem to be the way to go.
Should four be enough storage to run our laptops and monitor?
Also, can we use the mini fridge we already own or do we NEED to go spend the money on the rv 12 volt fridge? I am electrically stupid so I appogize for my ignorance.
bLEEp

I have given you my number.  CALL ME!   :D (look in your PM's) 

I do know a little on the subject.  :blush:  And I am just a few minutes away. 

John

Yeah, call John!! I'm going to pick on him, too and he needs to be up on things when it's my turn :-D

you going to start a thread in conversions with lots of pics? hint hint wink wink nod nod

Gary68 said:
you going to start a thread in conversions with lots of pics? hint hint wink wink nod nod

John, I am for sure going to call you, my friend :)
I have a 318 parts truck I'm willing to trade for your assistance as well, it would benefit both of us as I need it to go away in a couple months and I know you run a 318 dodge.
Gary, you can be sure we will be posting TONS of pictures and a total build thread ;-)
We are excited for the bus idea as I am a pretty tall guy and it's me, the wife and our medium sized pooch and we will be full timing it.
Queen sized bed across the back, we looked at a handicap accessible unit and thought it would be cool to turn the lift into a tiny porch off the bed and be able to lower it for outdoor kitchen purposes.
We have a few ideas for food sustainability as I have been known to grow a thing or two myself as well.
The plan is to have an indoor/outdoor sell everything sale once a bit better weather rollls our way, anything left will be donated by us personally to those in need.
I finally got my lovely bride to go through her wardrobe and thought she might cry, hahaha.
Also have been loading up the kindle with great books and preparing a hard drive full of films and things for rainy days.  Selling our library will be difficult as well.
I inherited my fathers bow and arrow for small game season tent camping and have a couple kids fishing poles and basic tackle as well.
There will be little to no stealth camping for us that's for sure.
The first journey has also been planned.  Missouri west to Oregon, over to the coast and down HWY 1 to visit all our pals in OR, WA, CA and so on, wintering in the SW.
We are both VERY excited and highly motivated now that we have all of our Ps and Qs handled.
John, we shall speak soon :)
Everyone else we will see you this winter!
The bLEEps <3