Moving forward

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoyceRVLegacy

Reaction score
Hi friends! I'm female, a grandmother in my 60's, sold my house 6 mo. ago and left that state. 

I just purchased a '73 travel trailer Rancho El Rae to pull, I hope, behind my Ford Edge.  No rot upon inspection before purchase, but guess what....yup..found some in the ceiling above the shower area while settling in. Will inspect tomorrow. 

I know nothing about rot except it must be removed. oh boy.

I've been watching Bob's youtube over and over for the past few months, making notes and need and want lists.  It is freaky taking that first step. But that's what I did making this purchase, right?!  I grew up boondocking every summer, so I am somewhat familiar but things have changed nevertheless.  My dad always took care of things back then. He's left me the legacy though.

I look forward to getting to know ya'll here and out on the road.

Joyce

Welcome to the forum. There may be someone near you that could also take a look. Where abouts are you?

Welcome to the forum.

The 70's was when I remember starting boondocking, course back then we just called it camping.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Joyce! We love pictures especially of vintage RVs so if you have any please post them! :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

jimindenver said:
Welcome to the forum.

The 70's was when I remember starting boondocking, course back then we just called it camping.

Hi Jim
Exactly!  No one had the $ for state parks, all travel trailers were smaller pretty much and you could park pretty much anywhere. 
Now state parks, at least in Oregon, have hook ups and a variety of levels of cabins, TP's and so forth.  It really is amazing how things have changed.

[ATTACH=full said:
11319[/ATTACH] rvwandering pid='261575' dateline='1486444535']1973 Rancho El Rae.jpgWelcome to the CRVL forums Joyce!  We love pictures especially of vintage RVs so if you have any please post them! :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you for the 'tips'.  I will indeed post some pictures.

Attachments

• 1973 Rancho El Rae.jpg
    1973 Rancho El Rae.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 18
JoyceRVLegacy said:
Hi friends! I'm female, a grandmother in my 60's, sold my house 6 mo. ago and left that state. 

I just purchased a '73 travel trailer Rancho El Rae to pull, I hope, behind my Ford Edge.  No rot upon inspection before purchase, but guess what....yup..found some in the ceiling above the shower area while settling in. Will inspect tomorrow. 

I know nothing about rot except it must be removed. oh boy.

I've been watching Bob's youtube over and over for the past few months, making notes and need and want lists.  It is freaky taking that first step. But that's what I did making this purchase, right?!  I grew up boondocking every summer, so I am somewhat familiar but things have changed nevertheless.  My dad always took care of things back then. He's left me the legacy though.

Joyce

Attachments

• 73 Rancho Interior #1.jpg
    73 Rancho Interior #1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 27
All appliances work, self contained, 2 tanks, battery, sway bar for towing, new tires, bearings done in September...Ugly upholstery and curtains.

The electrical plug for towing on my vehicle is a 4 or 5 plug and this one was also.  Rare find.

Attachments

• 73 Rancho interior #2.jpg
    73 Rancho interior #2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 1973 Rancho El Rae.jpg
    1973 Rancho El Rae.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 19
Hello and welcome, very cool rig!

Hello and welcome Joyce,
   I'm new here also.  Looks like you got a nice rig to introduce the grandkids to this life.  It makes a lifelong impression.  Well did for me anyway.

Joyce, it's a beautiful home! And I even love the upholstery!

Thanks so much for the pictures.

That interior looks familiar. I had a rancho truck camper once. They made very well made r.v.,s. they were made in Nephi Utah.

gapper2 said:
Hello and welcome Joyce,
   I'm new here also.  Looks like you got a nice rig to introduce the grandkids to this life.  It makes a lifelong impression.  Well did for me anyway.
Hope so.  They are pretty excited about it.  The 4 year old was picking out his bed and all.  Really cute.

rickr said:
That interior looks familiar. I had a rancho truck camper once. They made very well made r.v.,s. they were made in Nephi Utah.

Yes, I have found that to be true. It's in amazing condition for a 40 year old vehicle. 

The interior will not be looking familiar much longer.  I have to keep the Harvest gold appliances, but the floor will go.  Even though it is in excellent shape, gold and green.....! 

I should take a picture of the emblem on the back.  

Thanks for sharing!

JoyceRVLegacy said:
It is freaky taking that first step. But that's what I did making this purchase, right?!  I grew up boondocking every summer, so I am somewhat familiar but things have changed nevertheless.  My dad always took care of things back then. He's left me the legacy though.

Joyce
Hi and welcome to the forums. It is indeed so downright surreal taking that first real step after the planning. I just bought my van on Tuesday. I keep looking out the window to make sure she's really parked out there and I didn't imagine it, lol.

Gorgeous trailer. Of course I love the colors, but I gather I have unusual taste, lol.

:)  Hello and Welcome

I too am a 60 something Granma........of 8    :huh:  <<<<<< that's my hair do after a weekend with'em all in the same house!

Your trailer looks great..........I'd prefer Harvest gold over Advacado green any day of the week.  The last TT I had before the current one was a SilverStream Empress model, it had the original Pink sinks and tub ......good thing I like PINK.

I bought vinyl wood peel & stick planks at Lowes for my Aliner TT floor.   After a hour or two sitting on a pillow and scooting around on the floor and even installing a few planks I discovered why the floor covering is put down before anything else is installed in some TTs.   IT'S BECAUSE NONE OF THE CABINETS OR BUILT IN'S HAVE A STRAIGHT LINE OF MORE THAN 2FT!!!  I'd never be able to make the cuts needed.  So in my situation I decided I have more than enough throw rugs to cover the bland floor vinyl it came with............I can live with it.   :D

I look forward to seeing what you do to/with your TT, it's a nice little home.

Jewellann

Thanks Jewellann....Yes, I have discovered how they put these trailers together....layer by layer. I'm thinking paint for the floor???

I just moved from TX. My grandkids all live in different states so I moved closer to most of them and now live with 3 of them age 4 and under. My hair looks like that most of the time! :D

I took off the refrigerator panel and painted it 'aqua' or cool mist or some such name. My daughter wrinkled her nose at it. Ha ha. I'm leaving the stove and trim pieces the 'gold' color though. I'm growing tired of painting and such.

Everything is on hold until I take care of the ceiling rot in hopes that it doesn't extend into the walls. I will wash the roof and then put aluminum paint, tape and special sealant asap.

I look forward to showing progress!