military plates?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcofan

Reaction score
During the summer months, I travel in my van which has historic plates on it, but lately I've been thinking about traveling in my car during the winter. Mainly, because the gas mileage is great, it's front wheel drive, so it handles better than my rear wheel drive van in the snow, and being a smaller space, it's much easier and cheaper to heat with a coleman sportcat. As my registration is coming due, I'm thinking about getting National Guard plates. Does anyone else out there have military plates on their vehicle? Do you feel that it is a benefit or detriment, as far as hassles from people or police when camping in your car?

Military plates are an advantage. Being a veteren has a lot of extra advantages in our society. Never forget that you made a sacrifice of time and commitment. Also recommend joining American Legion and putting those stickers on your vehicle. As well as stickers from your military branch. Most police are former military or have bosses who are military 

Ditto on offroad.<br /><br />Good Luck and Happy Trails!!<br /><br />-- &nbsp;Kevin<br />USMC '72-'79

I've never considered getting military vanity plates for my van. Now I'm reconsidering it! It's not a bad idea since there are many law enforcement officers (LEO's) we may come into contact with as well. Any way of fostering "good will" from a former vet is a plus in my book!

I was going to get vet plates here in MA and found they up charge you an additional $40 bucks for the plates. That's every 2 years at $90. You would think they would be thankful and at least keep the charge the same as everyone plates that are $50

cedric said:
I was going to get vet plates here in MA and found they up charge you an additional $40 bucks for the plates. That's every 2 years at $90. You would think they would be thankful and at least keep the charge the same as everyone plates that are $50
<br /><br />Cedric, here in NV the cost for vanity military plates is $60.00 each year. That's not too unreasonable in the grand scheme of things. I wish they'd change the registration requirements to every other year. <br /><br />That does raise another question about military vanity plates. Do you get the "generic" military plate issued to from the DMV or apply for a "personalized" message. If you do get a personalized mlitary plate it may make you stand out a bit more.<br /><br />For example, if I were to get "VHOME" (aka Van Home) what would this do to the stealth issue. Is this something to consider or am I "overthinking" this vanity military plate issue?<br /><br />I wonder!

This is interesting. I got a veteran plate on my truck and my fee was less than $5.oo here in Arkansas. When I recently renewed the yearly tag it cost me zero dollars. I'm told some other states have little or no charge for the plates also.

Here my plates would be slightly more than a regular plate.&nbsp; However I believe that renewing my tags would be regular price. I'm still active duty, do I need to be a veteran to join the American Legion?

Wilcofan hello. I really don't know the answer to that but I don't think so.

Wilco, since you have served during a designated war time, you are eligible to join the American Legion. &nbsp;From legion.org:&nbsp;<span style="color: #333333; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 22.950000762939453px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: none;">Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)</span>

Latest posts